Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 421

Thread: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    23,675

    Default Re: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

    Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Not by all Americans - certainly not by the ones waving Confederate flags, past or present. Man, you can't ask people to forgive and forget when there are people waving the Confederate flag and acting like Confederate generals deserve statues.
    as I drove thru the deep south on my road trip. I asked about 3-4 different groups about it. To a Man (and even a black man I had a beer with in Alabama) they view the confederate flag as "southern" like pride in being from the south. 2% were slave owners 170-200 years ago. they are long dead into 4 generations
    NDSU TO FBS. PLEASE PLEASE! JAIL & EL CHAPO DONT MIX

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Borup
    Posts
    20,273

    Default Re: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    as I drove thru the deep south on my road trip. I asked about 3-4 different groups about it. To a Man (and even a black man I had a beer with in Alabama) they view the confederate flag as "southern" like pride in being from the south. 2% were slave owners 170-200 years ago. they are long dead into 4 generations
    Stop—that doesn’t fit Tony’s feel-good narrative. He knows everything, including how EVERYONE thinks and acts. He’s a “worldly” man.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC







  3. #203
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    St. Paul
    Posts
    17,587

    Default Re: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

    Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Shitty things happened. We evolved as a species. There is nothing we can do to fix then other than try the be better humans.

    It's like the 1942 Japanese Americans thrown into internment camps. That was arguably the worst thing we've ever done because they, unlike slaves, had Constitutional Rights and we took them away. We apologized and have moved on and hopefully we can learn from history. The Japanese moved on because instead of dwelling on the past, they have moved forward and now dominate everything from education to career success. The don't dwell on it and don't really talk about it
    Maybe it helped a little bit that we spent 20 billion dollars rebuilding the economy in their home country instead of going back on our promises for a century. In any event I think what you say about how Japanese Americans feel about internment is mostly not true, except for the bit about not talking about it much. And it’s certainly not true that they’re dominating education and business that was just some freak out we experienced for a hot minute in the late 80s.

    But yes shitty things happen and for the 4th time yes maybe we can do a little better going forward.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

    We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Borup
    Posts
    20,273

    Default Re: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

    Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Maybe it helped a little bit that we spent 20 billion dollars rebuilding the economy in their home country instead of going back on our promises for a century. In any event I think what you say about how Japanese Americans feel about internment is mostly not true, except for the bit about not talking about it much. And it’s certainly not true that they’re dominating education and business that was just some freak out we experienced for a hot minute in the late 80s.

    But yes shitty things happen and for the 4th time yes maybe we can do a little better going forward.
    What we should do is throw money at things, UN-Audited. Perfect for money laundering and kickbacks.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC







  5. #205
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    NYC and Bucks County, PA
    Posts
    23,260

    Default Re: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    as I drove thru the deep south on my road trip. I asked about 3-4 different groups about it. To a Man (and even a black man I had a beer with in Alabama) they view the confederate flag as "southern" like pride in being from the south. 2% were slave owners 170-200 years ago. they are long dead into 4 generations
    History is important. Knowing and understanding the past is key in seeing the warning signs of incipient trouble. But I've put one part of your post in bold. Please provide a source for that because, to me, it clearly demonstrates a problem. How many Americans would read something like that on social media and believe it without applying any critical thinking or verification to it? 50%? 37%?

    Cripes, the Civil War is not ancient history - and even if it were, it'd be one of the most important eras in OUR history. How can keeping statues of traitors be important but not knowing the truth about why those statues got put up?

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    St. Paul
    Posts
    17,587

    Default Re: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    as I drove thru the deep south on my road trip. I asked about 3-4 different groups about it. To a Man (and even a black man I had a beer with in Alabama) they view the confederate flag as "southern" like pride in being from the south. 2% were slave owners 170-200 years ago. they are long dead into 4 generations
    You missed a zero there. Slave ownership rates in the south were more like 20%-30% of households. Not 2%.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

    We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Borup
    Posts
    20,273

    Default Re: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

    Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    History is important. Knowing and understanding the past is key in seeing the warning signs of incipient trouble. But I've put one part of your post in bold. Please how me a source for that.

    A lot of posts here show just how knowing history is important. And, cripes, the Civil War is not ancient history - and even if it were, it'd be OUR history. How can keeping statues of traitors be important but not knowing the truth about their treason?
    Yeah, I’m really concerned that slavery will be the new thing in the United States, other than what is already occurring with Bezo amd Suckleberry.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC







  8. #208
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oak Ridge, NC
    Posts
    7,456

    Default Re: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

    Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    The American constitution quantified how to count some people as less than others. That we've moved past this horrible chapter in history should be celebrated but also remembered.
    Yes. I agree completely. I'm not saying it shouldn't be remembered. I just don't think our country is terrible as some make it out to be.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    St. Paul
    Posts
    17,587

    Default Re: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

    Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    History is important. Knowing and understanding the past is key in seeing the warning signs of incipient trouble. But I've put one part of your post in bold. Please provide a source for that because, to me, it clearly demonstrates a problem. How many Americans would read something like that on social media and believe it without applying any critical thinking to it? 50%? 37%

    A lot of posts here show just how knowing history is important. And, cripes, the Civil War is not ancient history - and even if it were, it'd be OUR history. How can keeping statues of traitors be important but not knowing the truth about their treason?
    A baseball podcast I listen to on the regular interviewed the last living player to play for Connie Mack last week. Connie Mack was born in 1862.

    Id really much rather be discussing that or you know having a slightly more representative democratic republic but it seems some folks have a bug up their ass about not owning other people any more.
    Last edited by bisonaudit; 05-21-2022 at 02:55 AM.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

    We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Borup
    Posts
    20,273

    Default Re: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

    Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    You missed a zero there. Slave ownership rates in the south were more like 20%-30% of households. Not 2%.
    What year was that again? Did you get some sort of Liberal talking point memo from somewhere?
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC







Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •