Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

Default Re: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Sports books now too. So just the sins you can raise tax revenue on?
    As soon as an industry gets big enough to have a lobby, the vice it is based on gets legalized and politicians get board positions. Thanks, Citizens United!

The only reason prostitution isn't legal is that they haven't figured out a franchise system... yet. Oh wait, Nevada legalizing prostitution is kind of a states rights to decriminalize something scenario. So add that to the list. That's 2.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    As soon as an industry gets big enough to have a lobby, the vice it is based on gets legalized and politicians get board positions. Thanks, Citizens United!

The only reason prostitution isn't legal is that they haven't figured out a franchise system... yet. Oh wait, Nevada legalizing prostitution is kind of a states rights to decriminalize something scenario. So add that to the list. That's 2.
    Perhaps the historical problem with the prostitution franchise is that too many of them were held by women?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    In the south many are trying to buck that trend.
    "Trying to?" I think they pretty much did. The "Lost Cause Myth" is alive and kicking. Example #1, why is there no statues to General Longstreet anywhere in the South? He was one of Lee's most trusted subordinates. (Hint: He turned Republican after the war.)
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    "Trying to?" I think they pretty much did. The "Lost Cause Myth" is alive and kicking. Example #1, why is there no statues to General Longstreet anywhere in the South? He was one of Lee's most trusted subordinates. (Hint: He turned Republican after the war.)
    "trying to" was tongue in cheek.

Changing my vote to civil war.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Whatabout whataboutism? Is Whataboutism a moral framework of some sort that you can found a philosophy of living, a religion, or a nation on? As far as I can tell, it's a philosophy that is premised by "Every action is acceptable as long as I can find somebody who I believe to be to be a completely amoral scumbag who I also believe, based on a Youtube video by AssPirate99 or a Facebook post of a meme targeted to my level of understanding, has supposedly done something similar."

Black nationalism is just as bad as white nationalism as a moral proposition. Happy?
    I just wanted to know if ECEH8C would make an exception when there’s positive social credit score associated with the type of nationalism bro.

It getting hot in ur tank or something? Open the hatch get some air bro.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    You're describing a Confederacy. Once the Constitution was created, the US was not a confederacy anymore. Sure, there are certain states rights but the founding fathers always knew that we needed a strong central government to bring it all together.

That said, I wouldn't actually mind a change in the form of government to allow for more "localism" to our laws. The priorities for so many things are very different around the country. It's not just a red or blue thing or an urban vs rural thing. We have major cultural differences around the country that affect the way that we think. This is such a big country that it is virtually impossible to get everyone rowing the same way on core issues.
    I always understood it to be the other way around. The founding fathers said that there were certain responsibilities that were for the federal government but everything else was left to the people and several states....or something like that. They deliberately wanted a limited government.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

mtoutfitter is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    I always understood it to be the other way around. The founding fathers said that there were certain responsibilities that were for the federal government but everything else was left to the people and several states....or something like that. They deliberately wanted a limited government.
    My understanding as well.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    Right, you just made my point. There was an initial desire for a confederacy and it failed miserably so when they were drafting the Constitution, they knew that they needed some central controls to make it actually work, then they placed state freedoms around it.

FWIW - I might have some nuances a bit sideways. This is all coming from my Problems of Democracy class in high school in the 80's plus random reading since. Plus I hear what I want to hear at times...
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I just wanted to know if ECEH8C would make an exception when there’s positive social credit score associated with the type of nationalism bro.

It getting hot in ur tank or something? Open the hatch get some air bro.
    Orange Nationalism is the worst though.