Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

Default Re: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    To head off greater strife and conflict?

"American exceptionalism" used to be the binding thread of the country. Today the concept itself is divisive. The divide between rural and urban keeps growing. The divide between those mindsets is growing faster; pick your issue: guns, abortion, gov'ts role in daily life. And the willingness to converse, much less compromise, is rapidly disappearing.

What does someone who lives their entire life in a 20 block radius of a fifth story flat have in common with someone that lives in a rural area and drives 20 miles one way to work or school every day? One can't imagine the other's daily concerns and problems, and they don't want to.

I'd rather see an "amicable divorce" than a civil war.
    You continually astound me.

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

To head off greater strife and conflict?

"American exceptionalism" used to be the binding thread of the country. Today the concept itself is divisive. The divide between rural and urban keeps growing. The divide between those mindsets is growing faster; pick your issue: guns, abortion, gov'ts role in daily life. And the willingness to converse, much less compromise, is rapidly disappearing.

What does someone who lives their entire life in a 20 block radius of a fifth story flat have in common with someone that lives in a rural area and drives 20 miles one way to work or school every day? One can't imagine the other's daily concerns and problems, and they don't want to.

I'd rather see an "amicable divorce" than a civil war.
    I'm sure I'll catch heat for this but I'd be Ok with people within 100 miles of the west coastline forming their own country.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Another vote for national divorce.

Of course, Tony the Tankie has installed Dominion Voting Machines so the vote will be officially recorded as "leftist hellscape where even the breadlines are out of bread."
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

tony, even in this thread the undercurrent is here.

Example? Some want to change the Constitution's intentional safeguards to effectively gerrymander their political viewpoint. The House is the people's House. The Senate is the several States. It balances urban versus rural interests. It forces conversation and compromise. But those are arcane notions in today's body politic. The Constitution is set up to prevent mob rule and to prevent tyranny by the few.

Another example? Don't like the judicial branch? Stack SCOTUS. What good would that do? The other side would stack when they got to power. Some day we'd have 923-922 SCOTUS ruling votes.

We're not there, yet, but an amicable divorce is better than Civil War 2.0 should it get that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Another vote for national divorce.

Of course, Tony the Tankie has installed Dominion Voting Machines so the vote will be officially recorded as "leftist hellscape where even the breadlines are out of bread."
    Were Jan 6 insurrectionist more or less patriotic than southern secessionist?

Another example? Don't like the judicial branch? Stack SCOTUS. What good would that do? The other side would stack when they got to power. Some day we'd have 923-922 SCOTUS ruling votes.

We're not there, yet, but an amicable divorce is better than Civil War 2.0 should it get that far.
    Interesting. Far left wing talk about expanding court after right wing actually withholds confirmation hearings for opposing party nominations then later with complete hypocrisy holding hearings for their own under the same circumstances.

USA = RSA & DSA

RSA = BREAD BASKET & SOUTH
    DSA = West Coast & East Coast down to Virginia
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

The answer to your question is just about everything and I know that because I’m both of these people.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Forget what? Patriotism in not a virtue in of itself. And being patriotic to the Confederacy is the opposite of being patriotic to the USA. Scots aren't being patriotic to the UK. Are you seriously OK with the idea that the South should break off from the Union? To what end? Are they going to expand their slavery-based economy beyond the walls of their vile for-profit prison system?

The commonality that joined the South was their desire to preserve their feudal, slavery-based economy and their complete rejection of America's founding principle that all men are born equal. Their churches committed blasphemy by using Christianity to make it God's will; their aristocracy committed treason because they couldn't tell new states that they had to allow them to expand the market for slaves into new territories; and when shown mercy after getting their asses kicked, the neo-Confederates among them repaid that mercy with 160 years (and counting) of being white nationalist assholes.

I have nothing against people who live in the former CSA and think that many people waving the Confederate flag have been deluded about its meaning and therefore don't mean offense - that's what you get when states like Texas gets to dictate how "history" is taught. Lots of the people know exactly what it means though.
    I have no idea if I would have cared at the time about secession. I doubt I'd care if a state (or several) sought to secede today. Not that it really matters. Nobody is going anywhere. But if someone did.... hey enjoy!
    College of Business Alumnus

Good luck with the Secession this time, fellas! I bet your grievances are many and your solutions based on solid principles!

My two name ideas:

The United States of America
    The Idiocratic Republic of Definitely Not a Democracy, Now With Maritime Law and a Game Show Court System (Dial 2 to Convict) BRAWNDO!