Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

Default Re: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Patriotism comes in many forms. Lots of folks seem to forget that.

Scotland is a part of the UK and their entire national anthem is about becoming a nation again that can stand against the English army.
    Forget what? Patriotism in not a virtue in of itself. And being patriotic to the Confederacy is the opposite of being patriotic to the USA. Scots aren't being patriotic to the UK. Are you seriously OK with the idea that the South should break off from the Union? To what end? Are they going to expand their slavery-based economy beyond the walls of their vile for-profit prison system?

The commonality that joined the South was their desire to preserve their feudal, slavery-based economy and their complete rejection of America's founding principle that all men are born equal. Their churches committed blasphemy by using Christianity to make it God's will; their aristocracy committed treason because they couldn't tell new states that they had to allow them to expand the market for slaves into new territories; and when shown mercy after getting their asses kicked, the neo-Confederates among them repaid that mercy with 160 years (and counting) of being white nationalist assholes.

I have nothing against people who live in the former CSA and think that many people waving the Confederate flag have been deluded about its meaning and therefore don't mean offense - that's what you get when states like Texas gets to dictate how "history" is taught. Lots of the people know exactly what it means though.

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    You know what's just as stupid as waving a Confederate flag? Non British citizens giving a fuck about the queen of England. She can kiss my American ass eh. You'd think the media and celebs want a monarchy.
    I agree 100% with this. If England wants a monarchy, that's their business, but we, as a nation, rejected that BS.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Forget what? Patriotism in not a virtue in of itself. And being patriotic to the Confederacy is the opposite of being patriotic to the USA. Scots aren't being patriotic to the UK. Are you seriously OK with the idea that the South should break off from the Union? To what end? Are they going to expand their slavery-based economy beyond the walls of their vile for-profit prison system?

The commonality that joined the South was their desire to preserve their feudal, slavery-based economy and their complete rejection of America's founding principle that all men are born equal. Their churches committed blasphemy by using Christianity to make it God's will; their aristocracy committed treason because they couldn't tell new states that they had to allow them to expand the market for slaves into new territories; and when shown mercy after getting their asses kicked, the neo-Confederates among them repaid that mercy with 160 years (and counting) of being white nationalist assholes.

I have nothing against people who live in the former CSA and think that many people waving the Confederate flag have been deluded about its meaning and therefore don't mean offense - that's what you get when states like Texas gets to dictate how "history" is taught. Lots of the people know exactly what it means though.
    The winners get to write the history eh. That's how it works.

Lardsin must go!

Just like plaid eh?
    Or Nationalism. I remember a recent push to make that term celebrated instead of shunned.

The winners get to write the history eh. That's how it works.
    In the south many are trying to buck that trend.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    In the south many are trying to buck that trend.
    Lost the war, won the peace?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Or Nationalism. I remember a recent push to make that term celebrated instead of shunned.
    what about black nationalism bro why u so racist
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    what about black nationalism bro why u so racist
    Whatabout whataboutism? Is Whataboutism a moral framework of some sort that you can found a philosophy of living, a religion, or a nation on? As far as I can tell, it's a philosophy that is premised by "Every action is acceptable as long as I can find somebody who I believe to be to be a completely amoral scumbag who I also believe, based on a Youtube video by AssPirate99 or a Facebook post of a meme targeted to my level of understanding, has supposedly done something similar."

Black nationalism is just as bad as white nationalism as a moral proposition. Happy?

You know what's just as stupid as waving a Confederate flag? Non British citizens giving a fuck about the queen of England. She can kiss my American ass eh. You'd think the media and celebs want a monarchy.
    I'll raise you with giving a rat's rump about the Queen's granddaughter-in-law (the non-British one).

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Are you seriously OK with the idea that the South should break off from the Union? To what end?
    To head off greater strife and conflict?

"American exceptionalism" used to be the binding thread of the country. Today the concept itself is divisive. The divide between rural and urban keeps growing. The divide between those mindsets is growing faster; pick your issue: guns, abortion, gov'ts role in daily life. And the willingness to converse, much less compromise, is rapidly disappearing.

What does someone who lives their entire life in a 20 block radius of a fifth story flat have in common with someone that lives in a rural area and drives 20 miles one way to work or school every day? One can't imagine the other's daily concerns and problems, and they don't want to.

I'd rather see an "amicable divorce" than a civil war.