Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

Default Re: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    Its amazing that we were producing 3% of world oil supply for half a decade and have effectively nothing to show for it. We owe these companies nothing. Expropriate their assets in North Dakota
    There is like $3 Billion in the Legacy fund. Some day we will use it or the earnings from it.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    There is like $3 Billion in the Legacy fund. Some day we will use it or the earnings from it.
    $4.3 billion.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

They are a bunch of damn fools.

Oil got bad, it's better, but likely at its new norm. Ag can get a whole lot worse.

If they had left income taxes where they were, stayed the hell out of local property taxes, eliminated the trigger, and pulled ~ 10% of the legacy things would be hunky dory.

Instead, they have made cuts that likely will never balance out with expenditures and 2019 could be absolute hell for some parts of the state.

I look forward to saying I told you so to my coworkers who thought I was an anti-education ass for being against West Fargo's new swimming pool and hockey arena. We are now going to have to pick up that $45 million tab ourselves and hopefully build two more elementary schools and possibly a third middle school and high school ($120 million). Thank god the metro economy is still doing well or it could be a flipping death spiral.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Its amazing that we were producing 3% of world oil supply for half a decade and have effectively nothing to show for it. We owe these companies nothing. Expropriate their assets in North Dakota
    Nothing to show for it? You should see the bank accounts of some of my relatives!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Seems to be working well for Venezuela.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Well... we greatly expanded small towns that are now ghost towns and still have to maintain the roads. We got a huge population boost of many losers who commit crimes. We got a state budget that is way bigger than it was before. We got funding cut from universities because of over spending in other areas. We got got mega pollution.

Of course many Beverly Hillbilly millionaires were made so that's a good deal.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Need a little help here. Tried Googling this but was unsuccessful.................

Who was the brilliant legislator that said (a few years ago) (paraphrased) How much money do we really need?

IIRC, this was the moment in North Dakota's recent history when the oil extraction tax was reduced.

Way to be a visionary dude..........whoever you are.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1993bison View Post
    Nothing to show for it? You should see the bank accounts of some of my relatives!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    that'll balance the state books

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    Need a little help here. Tried Googling this but was unsuccessful.................

Who was the brilliant legislator that said (a few years ago) (paraphrased) How much money do we really need?

IIRC, this was the moment in North Dakota's recent history when the oil extraction tax was reduced.

Way to be a visionary dude..........whoever you are.
    That was Al Carlson. He said it on Gap Tooth Boy's show, but here is McFeely's analysis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_LJgyoXQmg

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Seems to be working well for Venezuela.
    thats not exactly venezula's problem, and our case is nothing like theirs in any case.

What we should have done was setup a state sanctioned oil producers coop. Woulda made more money, retained the profits, and left us with a legacy of North Dakota owned capital infrastructure. Instead we own nothing but a minor cut of the profits