Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

Default Re: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

This is delightful as a thought experiment.

What would the Secessionists want North Dakota's new motto to be?
    What would the Not United States of America use as a flag? Would you just recycle the Confederate one?
    What would your national anthem be?
    Would there be higher education? Or education at all?
    Who would the first Secretary of Religion be?
    What would the executive branch do (aside from look for witches?)
    What percentage of North Dakotans would have to vote for Secession in order for it to be valid? I'd think that you'd want more than a simple majority, but true Secessionists would probably argue that God wants you to let the Bismarck Brain Trust decide the issue for you.
    Do you really think Colorado, Minnesota and Illinois would go along with the idiot cabaret? Or even Georgia?
    How are you going to prevent my Union Civil War widow and Dakota Homestead-filing Great-Great Grandmother from emerging from her grave and dragging you by your ears straight to eternal damnation where you can talk about how hot it is with Robert E. Lee and Co?
    What would the Idiocratic Bill of Rights look like?
    What would you call this new confederacy?

So many questions... This might be my favorite thread tangent ever!

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    I'm sure I'll catch heat for this but I'd be Ok with people within 100 miles of the west coastline forming their own country.
    That line would be 10 miles east of the eastern flank of the Cascade Range, thank you very much. I don't want to have to take my passport every time I go to Bend or Hood River.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    The answer to your question is just about everything and I know that because I’m both of these people.
    Same boat here.

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    And that's how the country was founded. Let the people govern themselves. Make laws for your own area.
    You're describing a Confederacy. Once the Constitution was created, the US was not a confederacy anymore. Sure, there are certain states rights but the founding fathers always knew that we needed a strong central government to bring it all together.

That said, I wouldn't actually mind a change in the form of government to allow for more "localism" to our laws. The priorities for so many things are very different around the country. It's not just a red or blue thing or an urban vs rural thing. We have major cultural differences around the country that affect the way that we think. This is such a big country that it is virtually impossible to get everyone rowing the same way on core issues.

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    You're describing a Confederacy. Once the Constitution was created, the US was not a confederacy anymore. Sure, there are certain states rights but the founding fathers always knew that we needed a strong central government to bring it all together.

That said, I wouldn't actually mind a change in the form of government to allow for more "localism" to our laws. The priorities for so many things are very different around the country. It's not just a red or blue thing or an urban vs rural thing. We have major cultural differences around the country that affect the way that we think. This is such a big country that it is virtually impossible to get everyone rowing the same way on core issues.
    Well you sort of imply that it wasn’t actually always because we did try a confederation first and it was a disaster.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

I had a glorious vision of the Confederate States of America 2.0!

Picture this: Every town is modeled on The Villages as the average age is 80. It's a crime-free paradise, like Florida, and on the third of each month, all The Villagers hop on their RASCAL Mobility Scooters and make a pilgrimage to the nearest Shrine of The Patron Saint of the Villages to pray to the golden statue (by burning a book) in the hopes that He will cure them of their various venereal diseases and cleanse them of the taint of having heard a foreign language.

I bet you predicted this post exactly, Scottie.

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    That said, I wouldn't actually mind a change in the form of government to allow for more "localism" to our laws.
    I'd be happy if the Tenth Amendment still meant something and Article I, Section 8, Clause 18 wouldn't be the catch-all "we can do that" excuse. (Too many forget the phrase "the foregoing Powers" in there and use it for whatever whim.)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    I'd be happy if the Tenth Amendment still meant something and Article I, Section 8, Clause 18 wouldn't be the catch-all "we can do that" excuse. (Too many forget the phrase "the foregoing Powers" in there and use it for whatever whim.)
    Make a big list of all the times States' Rights were used to advance individual liberty. Slavery, Segregation, Separate but Equal, making certain marriages illegal, Jim Crow laws, anti-Sodomy laws, etc. Note: Those are the opposite.

Marijuana legalization is about the only time states have tried to make something legal.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Make a big list of all the times States' Rights were used to advance individual liberty. Slavery, Segregation, Separate but Equal, making certain marriages illegal, Jim Crow laws, anti-Sodomy laws, etc. Note: Those are the opposite.

Marijuana legalization is about the only time states have tried to make something legal.
    Sports books now too. So just the sins you can raise tax revenue on?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post

I predict about 20 states will use 10A regarding legalizing abortion. No further comment on topic.