Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Khy Kabellis transferring

Default Re: Khy Kabellis transferring

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Not to go all "Well in D2..." on you guys (except kind of since that's exactly what I'm about to do), but this is becoming a bigger issue at the D2 level as well. In the last few years in the NSIC, we had a kid transfer from St. Cloud State to something called Utah Valley University because people were in his ear telling him he was a "D1 player." He was averaging 20+ ppg at St. Cloud, transferred to Utah Valley and sat a year, then played this past year and averaged 11 a game. He's from Wisconsin, so basically moved out to Utah by himself for two years just to play one season at the next level. To each his own.

Similarly, Nuni Omot was a 6'9" freakishly athletic wing/forward who redshirted and played one year at Concordia-St. Paul. From what I understand, he also had people in his ear telling him he was bigger than D2, so he transferred to Indian Hills Community College and before the season even started there, had been offered by Baylor, where he spent this past season (averaged 4 points and 2 rebounds in 11 minutes per game) and will play next season to finish out his career.

So it's not just mid-major D1s that are suffering from it. So far Augie has managed to keep all of our "could possibly be playing at the next level" types of kids, but I won't be shocked if Coach Billeter brings in a kid or two in the future who is told by friends and family he should be playing at a level higher and tries to make the jump.

What's fascinating to me about this Kabellis situation is the fact that, whenever I watched you guys (probably 5-6 times this year, usually if you were on Midco), I never once thought to myself, Goodness, that's a kid who should be playing at the next level. Not a knock on him at all, as he always seemed very capable and competent, but, to me, if you're capable and competent on a team and you're playing as many minutes as anyone else on the team, you'd think that would be a comfortable place to be. I just can't see him transferring to a higher-major D1 and blowing away coaches and suddenly finding himself as the starting PG for a high-major team. But maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Just some random thoughts from a somewhat impartial observer. Our D2 message board typically dies over the summer. Thanks for letting me jump in here.
    Regarding your thoughts on Khy, I think you will find about everyone here would agree with you which is why this makes zero sense. I've learned a lot reading this thread and am starting to understand how AAU and handlers are causing these kids to make really bad choices. It will be interesting to see when Daum does if he graduates as it may make good sense for him to transfer to a high major.

There is a documentary about AAU basketball on Netflix, I think it is called "At All Costs" and it is very interesting. Shows the entire process of a kid going moving up the ranks and how much power these AAU coaches and handlers have.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Batemon from NDSCS has signed with Loyola Marymount of the WCC, so he is no longer an option at PG

Quote Originally Posted by fbmind View Post
    Batemon from NDSCS has signed with Loyola Marymount of the WCC, so he is no longer an option at PG
    That's too bad. Seeing WCC teams look to North Dakota for players kind of sucks when we have no point guard

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by fbmind View Post

i posted that 4 days ago no idea why my posts never go thru when its breaking news.

why on earth Dave cant get ndscs kids is beyond me hes from there his dad was a legend coach and now president there. grr
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

hmmmm I see ohio .... just had their point guard grad transfer
    not saying there is any correlation
    simply saying transfer happen often at the mid major level
    TRUST THE PROCESS

Khy is headed to Pacific, must not have gotten that high major interest. He is now much closer to home though.

Pacific was 11-22 this last season.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Still very perplexing

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Still very perplexing
    I really think he wanted to be closer to home. I cant blame him for wanting that. Hope things turn out well for him at Pacific.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    I really think he wanted to be closer to home. I cant blame him for wanting that. Hope things turn out well for him at Pacific.
    This and I'm wondering if he or his handlers had some contacts at Pacific. They haven't really been strong in like 10 years outside of a season or 2. Good luck to him hope he does well.