Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boise State drops their wrestling program, but will add baseball.

Default Boise State drops their wrestling program, but will add baseball.

From the Idaho Statesman:
    The wrestling program has been a part of Boise State's athletics since 1959, but it has fallen on hard times in recent years, going 11-35-1 in duals the last four seasons. Coach Greg Randall, who had been at the helm since 2002, was fired in April 2016, replaced by Cal State-Bakersfield coach Mike Mendoza.

According to the Idaho State Board of Education's most recent athletics budget report, released last April, the wrestling program had $222,494 in revenue for 2014-15 and $460,760 in expenses.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports...#storylink=cpy
    Hail the BISON!!!

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Boise State drops their wrestling program, but will add baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    From the Idaho Statesman:
    This is terrible news.

MinotBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Is there any chance we could see any of them transfer here?

Quote Originally Posted by MinotBison View Post
    Is there any chance we could see any of them transfer here?
    Do they have elite talent? I don't know much about wrestling but we've beaten them 3 out of 4 years pretty handily.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Do they have elite talent? I don't know much about wrestling but we've beaten them 3 out of 4 years pretty handily.
    No, their talent pool isn't what it was ten years ago when they had a potential National Championship team, but lacked the right coach to get it done.

The question I have now is what happens with the PAC-12 in regards to wrestling if Fresno State rejoins its old WWC rivals in the Big 12 instead of the PAC-12. Without Boise State, the PAC-12 doesn't have enough teams to have automatic qualifiers for the National Championship. Hopefully the AD's from those schools wise-up and combine with the Big 12.
    Hail the BISON!!!

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This definitely muddies the waters. Wrestling is under a full on assault out west. I would really like to see KU bring back wrestling to help strengthen the Midwest. There is plenty of talent for it and southern KS is a hotbed for wrestling. Probably never happen though. I am not a huge fan of women's wrestling but it seems like adding it is the only way to save the sport in the NCAA. Is their enough women wrestler's out there to justify it though? What part of the country has women's wrestling really gained traction?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    This definitely muddies the waters. Wrestling is under a full on assault out west. I would really like to see KU bring back wrestling to help strengthen the Midwest. There is plenty of talent for it and southern KS is a hotbed for wrestling. Probably never happen though. I am not a huge fan of women's wrestling but it seems like adding it is the only way to save the sport in the NCAA. Is their enough women wrestler's out there to justify it though? What part of the country has women's wrestling really gained traction?
    California, Texas, Washington, Oregon, Hawaii and somewhat Alaska have a pretty good system for Women's High School Wrestling. Looking at the numbers I got to create this video to promote Women's College Wrestling last year at the NCAA's, there are about 10,000 females registered in our membership system. There is also about 1,800 high school programs.

Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    California, Texas, Washington, Oregon, Hawaii and somewhat Alaska have a pretty good system for Women's High School Wrestling. Looking at the numbers I got to create this video to promote Women's College Wrestling last year at the NCAA's, there are about 10,000 females registered in our membership system. There is also about 1,800 high school programs.

ND had a separate girls tournament this year I think it was combined with SD for the youth wrestling in Bismarck. Wasn't NDHSAA sponsored though? See a few girls wrestling in the youth tournaments on the east side of the state, not many in the older age brackets. Trying to convince my wife to let my daughter wrestle at least until they start basketball or something else as she needs to wear off energy and oddly I think she'd push my son to be better because she can already beat him up and she's 4 years younger and 1/2 his weight.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Geo Martinez was their best wrestler but he transferred last year to OSU. Fred Green had a good second half of the season and Jake Valarde had transferred from ODU are both solid wrestlers along with their only NCAA qualifier at 174, Austin Dewey. They were definitely rebuilding with Coach Mendoza just taking over last year.

I can honestly tell you that this announcement caught the coaches by surprise as well since just last week they signed a kid from MO for next fall and then 7 days later that kid is looking for a new home next season. Also their timing is horrible for most of their wrestlers since most programs have very few dollars left for signing anyone this time of the year.

http://www.broncosports.com/genrel/041817aaa.html

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/...drop-wrestling

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I just assumed Boise State already had baseball...this is bittersweet for baseball lovers such as myself but who also has great appreciation for wrestling.