Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boise State drops their wrestling program, but will add baseball.

Default Re: Boise State drops their wrestling program, but will add baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator Dad View Post
    Geo Martinez was their best wrestler but he transferred last year to OSU. Fred Green had a good second half of the season and Jake Valarde had transferred from ODU are both solid wrestlers along with their only NCAA qualifier at 174, Austin Dewey. They were definitely rebuilding with Coach Mendoza just taking over last year.

I can honestly tell you that this announcement caught the coaches by surprise as well since just last week they signed a kid from MO for next fall and then 7 days later that kid is looking for a new home next season. Also their timing is horrible for most of their wrestlers since most programs have very few dollars left for signing anyone this time of the year.

http://www.broncosports.com/genrel/041817aaa.html

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/...drop-wrestling
    Mike Mendoza got screwed pretty bad. He left an unstable program at CSU-Bakersfield that he helped rebuild for a program that was suppose to be extremely stable at Boise State.

It will be interesting how well college wrestling survives in the West. Both Oregon and Boise State dropped their programs for baseball despite producing National Champions. Grand Canyon University dropped its programs just about as soon as it became a DI sport. CSU-Bakersfield and Arizona State's programs were saved from being dropped while Fresno State was recently reinstated. Cal Poly, being a California state school, can't be too stable while Stanford should be fine with its funding. Wyoming should also be fine with how well they have invested into the program. Air Force won't have an issue being that they pretty much field every sport and aren't under the Title IX microscope due to not offering athletic scholarships. Utah Valley and Northern Colorado look alright....for now.
    Hail the BISON!!!

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/...s#.WPgYw9IrLIU

While the article is pretty biased and pro wrestling (as I would expect from Flo), it makes it seem like all isn't lost just yet.

Believe it or not, I have a really good friend in the Boise State athletic department and I'm curious to see what their reaction is to this. If I can, I'll post their thoughts in the coming days.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    http://www.flowrestling.org/article/...s#.WPgYw9IrLIU

While the article is pretty biased and pro wrestling (as I would expect from Flo), it makes it seem like all isn't lost just yet.

Believe it or not, I have a really good friend in the Boise State athletic department and I'm curious to see what their reaction is to this. If I can, I'll post their thoughts in the coming days.
    Sounds like the Cleveland State scenario. That AD wanted Lacrosse (a sport him and his family were deeply involved) and needed a sport to drop. When he got a lot of backlash, he reversed his decision on dropping wrestling.

From what little heresy I've read, the BSU AD wanted baseball, and why hence, the drop.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Sounds like the Cleveland State scenario. That AD wanted Lacrosse (a sport him and his family were deeply involved) and needed a sport to drop. When he got a lot of backlash, he reversed his decision on dropping wrestling.

From what little heresy I've read, the BSU AD wanted baseball, and why hence, the drop.
    Cleveland State must have found the extra funding as they went DI this year in lacrosse.

Quote Originally Posted by scbison91 View Post
    Cleveland State must have found the extra funding as they went DI this year in lacrosse.
    Good for them. Lacrosse is pretty good sport. It sucks though when sports have to be dropped in order to get another one in. This also happens at the Olympics, despite the amount of money flowing through the IOC.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MinotBison View Post
    Is there any chance we could see any of them transfer here?