Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Tailgating Changes

Default Re: 2017 Tailgating Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    Man those early days sure were different. Heck I remember when teammakers gave out free brats burgers and beer. Man have things changed. People complain and complain and complain but if you actually step back and look at the changes that have occurred over the last 3 years, 5 years 10 years 15 years, It is striking.
    Paving the grass lots to the west was huge.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    Man those early days sure were different. Heck I remember when teammakers gave out free brats burgers and beer. Man have things changed. People complain and complain and complain but if you actually step back and look at the changes that have occurred over the last 3 years, 5 years 10 years 15 years, It is striking.
    I take pride in my role in early days of tailgating.

My wife and I were in the lot at 2 pm of the Friday Valpo game with maybe a dozen others. We were among the first to have a tent.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Talked to Helena today about where we are in line. The best estimate she could give me was about a 10% chance they we'd get spots. The issue they're having right now that is stopping them from knowing exactly where we are on the list is that at the moment the list is full with people who already have spots, but don't want to move when they expand, so until some of those people either absorb the new spots or stand pat they won't know how many of us to turn down. She's expecting most of those people to not do anything, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

She said she is collecting a list of suggestions for the next time "everyone involved with the reserved tailgating process" meets. I'm not sure if I should read into her calling it the reserved process or not, but I suggested upping the price of GA spots, requiring a minimum of 2 and numbering them like reserved to encourage tailgating vs. Parking.

I asked her if there were any specific groups or people they we fans should help pressure to show the demand for expansion and her suggestion was to contact businesses around the dome to see if they'd be interested in hosting tailgating at their locations.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

I cant wait for all the rich reserved pricks to buy season passes in the West GA lot that's now reserved just so they can park their cars since they have all the priority points.

CANT WAIT... *fart noise*
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

One thing they could consider is that many of the new reserved spots or a portion of them could only go to those that do not already have reserved spots with the assumption that these would predominantly go to current GA tailgaters. Although not perfect, this could prevent established groups from monopolizing all the new spots and thus essentially reducing the GA supply - which would than have overall increased demand if none of the current GA tailgaters get reserved spots. Imagine the rugby field sh--show on Friday or even Thursday if none of the current GA tailgates got reserved spots and have to line up even earlier to get into GA tailgate.

Doing the the GA line on Friday significantly increases the duration of tailgating and I have much respect for how hardcore these groups are. Many epitomize Bison Nation and are an important part of the herd. Many had to buy rigs to sleep in overnight and some sleep in their cars or trailers on cots overnight and even take shifts. How many of the current reserved spot tailgaters would do this? Go sleep in your car on the side of a road before answering this and don't forget a urinal. I think many would be surprised how many of GA tailgaters do not have tickets and tailgate before going elsewhere to watch the game on TV. Look at the density of the GA tailgate vs the north end of the same lot. No comparison many weeks. Could see the same thing happen if current GA tailgaters do not get any of the the new reserved passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of a Bison View Post
    One thing they could consider is that many of the new reserved spots or a portion of them could only go to those that do not already have reserved spots with the assumption that these would predominantly go to current GA tailgaters. Although not perfect, this could prevent established groups from monopolizing all the new spots and thus essentially reducing the GA supply - which would than have overall increased demand if none of the current GA tailgaters get reserved spots. Imagine the rugby field sh--show on Friday or even Thursday if none of the current GA tailgates got reserved spots and have to line up even earlier to get into GA tailgate.

Doing the the GA line on Friday significantly increases the duration of tailgating and I have much respect for how hardcore these groups are. Many epitomize Bison Nation and are an important part of the herd. Many had to buy rigs to sleep in overnight and some sleep in their cars or trailers on cots overnight and even take shifts. How many of the current reserved spot tailgaters would do this? Go sleep in your car on the side of a road before answering this and don't forget a urinal. I think many would be surprised how many of GA tailgaters do not have tickets and tailgate before going elsewhere to watch the game on TV. Look at the density of the GA tailgate vs the north end of the same lot. No comparison many weeks. Could see the same thing happen if current GA tailgaters do not get any of the the new reserved passes.
    If you have the max amount now you can only move or keep current, I cannot keep my current spots and get more in the new area.

I can however move to the new lot, which would open mine up in the old spots..
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

BattleBorn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Good for NDSU for making money on this, but sucks that it likely spells the end of tailgating for my group. I spent plenty of nights sleeping in the Jeep- all worth it, of course. At any rate, it saves me a 14 hour drive on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
    Good for NDSU for making money on this, but sucks that it likely spells the end of tailgating for my group. I spent plenty of nights sleeping in the Jeep- all worth it, of course. At any rate, it saves me a 14 hour drive on weekends.
    Don't underestimate the impact of having single game reserved passes now. This depends on people who have reserved passes but won't be tailgating to have the initiative to sell them but I think that has a much better chance of impacting the GA line than the 250 spots being converted from GA to reserved will.

Also, I know there are some people who just enjoy the GA process of setting up camp overnight. It basically extends the party a full day so no matter what those folks are still going to be in the GA line.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Don't underestimate the impact of having single game reserved passes now. This depends on people who have reserved passes but won't be tailgating to have the initiative to sell them but I think that has a much better chance of impacting the GA line than the 250 spots being converted from GA to reserved will.

Also, I know there are some people who just enjoy the GA process of setting up camp overnight. It basically extends the party a full day so no matter what those folks are still going to be in the GA line.
    Agreed. This single pass system was LONG over due (like anything Pat S has his hands on). I hope TM does a full blitz making clear to people it is important to sell them when not used. Since I don't think Pat has any semblance of understanding of the situation, I am sure he won't and his "helping the blue collar fan" will blow up in his face with folks discretely drinking EtOH in non-approved areas.

This whole tailgating issues has a wide range of issues and or ideas from people.
    #1 Unlimited GA tailgate spots so no line has to be formed the night before
    #2 Reserved spots so someone can show up at 1:30 (2:30 kickoff) driving in while avoiding all the people walking around and park in their spot and have a beer before going into the game.
    #3 Let me drink and park anywhere I want.
    There are other issues I am sure. As a poster already said look at what it was like over 10 years ago. First come first served for all spots. Was in line many times at 5:00 am or earlier depending on lot opening time. Much wasted space because many people purchased more spots than needed. Will this ever be a perfect system, NO. Is it pretty good , YES. Can it be improved, YES. Change takes time people.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.