Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Tailgating Changes

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Default Re: 2017 Tailgating Changes

I'm eating asian bombs and enjoying this thread from labbys!

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    I'm eating asian bombs...
    Damn North Koreans.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Agreed, we still have a long ways to go though, and lots of things to improve on. Iowa State is the gold standard for tailgating.

Yet, one of the most impressive tailgating experiences I've ever had was watching you guys come into Ames, rig after rig after rig, for tailgating. In my tailgating notebook (which I usually put on a table for guests to view), I still lead with a photo of the NDSU bus with the painting of a guy hanging out of the window to get a beer from a cooler stored below. That is the gold standard!

Now, enough about tailgating quality, let's get to tailgating quantity. Iowa State has 6545 parking spots on concrete! That doesn't include the grass lot where most of your cars parked (grrrr), the massive grass lots east and southeast of the stadium, or the city streets. Added together, we must have 15,000 parking spots controlled by the university.

Here is a link to a map: http://www.parking.iastate.edu/tailgating.

Most of the lots are organized by donor level. Only the S lots near the stadium are assigned by parking spot. The A, B, C, D (RV), G-6, and G-7 lots require a $500 donation minimum plus $100 for the season pass to get in, but are first-come/first-served once in the lots. And now they are closing aisles once they are full so you don't have to worry about traffic coming through. The B-1, B-2, C-1, C-2, G-2, G-3, G-4, and G-5 (and the grass around Hilton where you guys were, grrrrr) are public ($20 to get in, first-come/first-served for spots, $40 for RVs).

Last year, they started an online picking system in which all but the S-lot donors picked lots in order of donation level. Other than using a Flash interface for the picking system, it seems to work pretty well.

Reserve lots open at 7:30am (the day before for RVs) or 6 hours before kickoff whichever is earlier. Public lots open 6 hours before kickoff.

And just to pour fuel on your fire, there is almost no policing of the lots. Occasionally, a cop on a bike rides through, but I have only rarely seen them do any act of enforcement, despite people walking everywhere with alcohol. It is only when someone gets totally wasted and antagonistic that they do anything other than help control traffic for pedestrians to cross the street.

football_parking.jpg
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    Yet, one of the most impressive tailgating experiences I've ever had was watching you guys come into Ames, rig after rig after rig, for tailgating. In my tailgating notebook (which I usually put on a table for guests to view), I still lead with a photo of the NDSU bus with the painting of a guy hanging out of the window to get a beer from a cooler stored below. That is the gold standard!

Now, enough about tailgating quality, let's get to tailgating quantity. Iowa State has 6545 parking spots on concrete! That doesn't include the grass lot where most of your cars parked (grrrr), the massive grass lots east and southeast of the stadium, or the city streets. Added together, we must have 15,000 parking spots controlled by the university.

Here is a link to a map: http://www.parking.iastate.edu/tailgating.

Most of the lots are organized by donor level. Only the S lots near the stadium are assigned by parking spot. The A, B, C, D (RV), G-6, and G-7 lots require a $500 donation minimum plus $100 for the season pass to get in, but are first-come/first-served once in the lots. And now they are closing aisles once they are full so you don't have to worry about traffic coming through. The B-1, B-2, C-1, C-2, G-2, G-3, G-4, and G-5 (and the grass around Hilton where you guys were, grrrrr) are public ($20 to get in, first-come/first-served for spots, $40 for RVs).

Last year, they started an online picking system in which all but the S-lot donors picked lots in order of donation level. Other than using a Flash interface for the picking system, it seems to work pretty well.

Reserve lots open at 7:30am (the day before for RVs) or 6 hours before kickoff whichever is earlier. Public lots open 6 hours before kickoff.

And just to pour fuel on your fire, there is almost no policing of the lots. Occasionally, a cop on a bike rides through, but I have only rarely seen them do any act of enforcement, despite people walking everywhere with alcohol. It is only when someone gets totally wasted and antagonistic that they do anything other than help control traffic for pedestrians to cross the street.

football_parking.jpg
    Careful with presenting facts in this thread. I do and I am called ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    You've been called a lot worse!

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It seems that I may have posted in the wrong thread as there is much more discussion in the other one. To be honest, I get lost in trying to figure out exactly what your tailgating problems are. But I thought it might be helpful to know how we do it.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    It seems that I may have posted in the wrong thread as there is much more discussion in the other one. To be honest, I get lost in trying to figure out exactly what your tailgating problems are. But I thought it might be helpful to know how we do it.
    THE major issue is lack of supply for early season games. Some others also get riled up about the nazi like atmosphere, but they seem to have been better to me the last couple years. (Yes, I fully realize the nazi's are not necessary as you pointed out, but by God, Fargo knows best and could not possibly be wrong.....)

People being able to sell their spots on a a per game basis was the best thing they did. Now people at least have a chance of getting a frw people to pay some money and get aome spots, and the lot should always be full.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    People being able to sell their spots on a a per game basis was the best thing they did. Now people at least have a chance of getting a frw people to pay some money and get aome spots, and the lot should always be full.
    And if folks don't take the time to give or sell their spots, we will have an effing nightmare due to pulling 1/2 of GA. Everyone on here needs to encourage those with spots to make sure they are used.

And if folks don't take the time to give or sell their spots, we will have an effing nightmare due to pulling 1/2 of GA. Everyone on here needs to encourage those with spots to make sure they are used.
    Agreed, just like making sure your tickets to the game are used. If you have to give them away for free, yes I said free. Get them in someone's hands that can use them.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.