Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Tailgating Changes

Default Re: 2017 Tailgating Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Son of a Bison View Post
    One thing they could consider is that many of the new reserved spots or a portion of them could only go to those that do not already have reserved spots with the assumption that these would predominantly go to current GA tailgaters. Although not perfect, this could prevent established groups from monopolizing all the new spots and thus essentially reducing the GA supply - which would than have overall increased demand if none of the current GA tailgaters get reserved spots. Imagine the rugby field sh--show on Friday or even Thursday if none of the current GA tailgates got reserved spots and have to line up even earlier to get into GA tailgate.

Doing the the GA line on Friday significantly increases the duration of tailgating and I have much respect for how hardcore these groups are. Many epitomize Bison Nation and are an important part of the herd. Many had to buy rigs to sleep in overnight and some sleep in their cars or trailers on cots overnight and even take shifts. How many of the current reserved spot tailgaters would do this? Go sleep in your car on the side of a road before answering this and don't forget a urinal. I think many would be surprised how many of GA tailgaters do not have tickets and tailgate before going elsewhere to watch the game on TV. Look at the density of the GA tailgate vs the north end of the same lot. No comparison many weeks. Could see the same thing happen if current GA tailgaters do not get any of the the new reserved passes.
    Many of the current reserved spot holders did exactly that. Its not like this is a new thing. Happens all over the US on Friday before game day.

Second point. Ive brought up that fact a few times. Making sure everyone in the GA line has tickets would help solve the problem.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Making sure everyone in the GA line has tickets would help solve the problem.
    Someday if we ever expand the stadium we are going to need those people though. If they want to tailgate without a ticket I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Agreed. This single pass system was LONG over due (like anything Pat S has his hands on). I hope TM does a full blitz making clear to people it is important to sell them when not used. Since I don't think Pat has any semblance of understanding of the situation, I am sure he won't and his "helping the blue collar fan" will blow up in his face with folks discretely drinking EtOH in non-approved areas.
    Your ignorance and over the top behavior is astounding. How old are you? JFC
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

[QUOTE=Bison"FANatic";1205877]Someday if we ever expand the stadium we are going to need those people though. If they want to tailgate without a ticket I say go for it.[/QUOTE

By the time the new stadium gets built the need will still be there. Plus those folks are going to be 10 years older. Priorities will have changed etc etc.
    If you are going to try and solve a non problem then somebody is going to be inconvenienced.

New stadium in 10 years?!? OK. Go on wit yo bad self.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Trumpster is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    New stadium in 10 years?!? OK. Go on wit yo bad self.

Nah, he meant we'll invent time travel in 10 years so they will only be 10 years older when they go forward to the far future (100 years? sounds right) where there's a new stadium.
    Hail Hydra.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Your ignorance and over the top behavior is astounding. How old are you? JFC
    We shall see. I would LOVE for him to prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    We shall see. I would LOVE for him to prove me wrong.
    Youve already been wrong but your just too ignorant to realize it.

CANT WAIT FOR ALL THE RESERVED TEAMMAKERS TO BUY UP ALL THE SW GA LOT NOW WITH THEIR POINTS SO THEY CAN PARK THEIR ESCALADES THERE> total fail
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Haven't had much time to follow the different threads containing these discussions so I'm sure I'm missing a bunch that has already been discussed, my apologies if my points have already been raised by others. That being said, my opinion on why myself and others seem to be frustrated:

- NDSU leadership always seems to be ahead of the curve, especially in the athletic department. It definitely comes off as NDSU being behind the times when people are being turned away, or at least inconvenienced with having to wait hours to get into a tailgate lot. Don't forget, athletics are a celebration of the university, and tailgating is a major part of that when it comes to college football.

- Going to other schools to tailgate, I don't seem to remember event staff and police officers stalking the lots constantly. I tailgated at the University of Alabama last year, and walking towards the grove where tailgating and drinking is permitted, A cop asked if he could, and then did, open my beer for me on a public street before noon (before giving me a 'Roll Tide'). The group I was with (kids from Bama and two other SEC schools) kept making fun of me because I thought it was a trap for drinking in public. If a police officer opened a beer for anyone waiting in the tailgate line in Fargo, hell itself would freeze over. The state of ND prides themselves on the freedom to do as one pleases, as long as it doesn't hurt others. What exactly does expanding tailgating hurt?

- There isn't a shortage of space, facilities, fan interest, or any additional cost to NDSU (at least to my knowledge) to expanding tailgating. There are honestly hundreds of schools that have these issues when it comes to tailgating. It is frustrating that it appears that NDSU leadership is the limiting factor to tailgating.

All I can come up with regarding the tailgate being limited is:

- The FargoDome won't let them expand tailgating, whether due to a perceived need for increased surveillance in the lots (BS, IMO) or crowd control in the dome (again, BS).

- The City of Fargo and/or Fargo Police Dept. can't get the stick out of their ass and let people have fun. Judging by the interactions I've had with Fargo Police in the tailgate lots, this might need to be point #1...

- NDSU leadership has decided to choke off supply to drive up demand and are trying to limit supply of tailgating spots for either the ability to directly increase the cost of reserved tailgating spots, or to indirectly create an air of exclusivity around NDSU football (increasing the ability to drive up prices for tickets in the already supply-choked FargoDome).

All of that being said, I met PL briefly when he and others brought food to my friends and I when we camped out as students during the 2011-2012 season. I trust and respect him on this issue. I just thought I'd express my frustrations, well-placed or not, on this topic. At the end of the day we're all supporting the same program in the way we think is best...