View Poll Results: Should the LPGA put mechanisms in place to put American women as the majority?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Make it so that at least 70 per cent of the LPGA tour are American players!

2 16.67%
  • No! Hands off and let the chips fall as they may!

10 83.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the LPGA survive?

Default Will the LPGA survive?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Last edited by MangyOldBison; 03-18-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Default Re: Will the LPGA survive?

What in the hell are you talking about?

The LPGA is actually on the rebound.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Look around at women's professional sports. After tennis, it's the LPGA. Nothing else is anywhere close, and administratively the LPGA is run way better than tennis. They're also already very much plugged into international growth markets.
    Last edited by bisonaudit; 05-01-2017 at 12:06 PM.

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by MangyOldBison View Post
    Good points BisonAudit and I hope that what has been done is effective going forward. I like the cooperative efforts with the PGA that have been done and are in the works. I would have done quite a bit more in terms of protecting, developing, and marketing American players to the tune of at least sixty or seventy per cent of the tour, not unlike what the President (POTUS) is doing in many other areas!
    If you can't beat them. Don't let them play. It's the American way.

I like the sarcasm in any case, but quite a bit more involved in it than just that as you know BisonAudit! For a fun contrast, here is a bit of what the original LPGA looked like:

https://www.thoughtco.com/lpga-found...e-lpga-1565961
    I don't know that it's any more involved than just that. I really, really don't.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I don't know that it's any more involved than just that. I really, really don't.
    What a weird argument to push here...#MAGA
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    What a weird argument to push here...#MAGA
    I am all for making America great again, in a non political manner.
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin

Hey Audit! Just a quick revisit on this topic to hopefully clarify my stance for you regarding just a few of the things involved in the LPGA and any professional sport for that matter. The LPGA must put out a product that attracts patrons and sponsors and fans. And it must do that as efficiently and profitably as possible just as any entity must to remain viable and to grow. They found out some years ago that that could mean trying to keep and field a greater number of English speaking players who interacted well with the public and who are marketable to patrons and sponsors. The skill level is so close at the top here that the other variables are really what will keep viewers and sponsors and loyal fans. It's a business. And if it is not profitable, well, nobody plays.
    Why are you making the assumption that only English speaking viewers and sponsors spend time and money on women's golf? Look at who the sponsors are, look at where the venues are, look at who the players are. It's one of the most diverse sporting entities in the world. A decade ago they were in real financial trouble, now they're not. It sure seems to me they're getting a lot of things right.

Not negating it entirely, but the flip side of all that is that the US Women's Open pulled abysmal numbers and the lowest ratings in over twenty years. That is not sustainable if we see much more of it.
    Mens Open was 2nd lowest ever as well. Perhaps it has more to do with the state of television in general and the broadcast partner the USGA selected specifically than it does with the state of the women's game.

That's quite a stretch BA! Every commentator I've heard had different thoughts on that. The Open just enjoyed the greatest crowds in the history of the event! As I stated before, I agree that the state of the women's game worldwide is in many ways better now than it has ever been. The issue is how to keep it that way going forward, but moreso how best to keep it that way in terms of the LPGA.
    mens US Open tv ratings second lowest ever.

In any event were circling here. You seem to think it's a problem for the LPGA that the best players from all over the world play on it. No one else here appears to share that opinion with you.