Thread: 2017 Drake Relays

Default 2017 Drake Relays

Alyssa Olin & Kayla Hochhalter went 1 & 2 in the javelin. That's kind of awesome.

Default Re: 2017 Drake Relays

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Alyssa Olin & Kayla Hochhalter went 1 & 2 in the javelin. That's kind of awesome.
    Yes! Also Weimerskirch took 2nd in the Discus, Renner won the Shot by nearly 4 feet, and the women's 4x4 took 2nd in their heat and ran 3:41.

Came back to the hotel to warm up but we will head back tonight.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

The weather here at Drake is terrible.
    Proud sponsor of SAMBINIS ATHLETICS TFA and SAMBOS TRACK CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by sambini View Post
    The weather here at Drake is terrible.
    If the men and women return to Fargo without pulled muscles or injuries from competing in the cool conditions, that is a victory.
    It is easy to have a hamstring injury pushing muscles to the limit without sufficient warm-up . . . when the temperatures are low, coupled by rain that makes it even harder to stay warm, the threat or risk is there.

Castor Troy mentioned that it is always cold and raining at Drake in another thread. I have not followed Drake every year, but it seems the temperature rarely gets much about 60-65 and it usually is cloudy with a chance of rain - so I agree. However, with temps below 45 I think this year was a colder and wetter than it usually is.

I might add, the men of women of the prairie had some pretty damn impressive performances - women winning the sprint medley for example, by nearly 2 seconds. Renner winning the shot put. Though the times, distances, heights, were down a bit (I assume due to the weather), the Bison did pretty darn well competition wise. Plenty of reasons to be proud.

I do wish that we should bring our high jumpers and pole vaulters to another meet. Due to weather they end up jumping inside. It works ok for the vault but the high jump surface starts out on field turf and then goes to a hard track surface. Not ideal. Vashti Cunningham came last year and she did poorly and will most likely not be back.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.