Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2017 Freestyle World Team Trials

Default Re: 2017 Freestyle World Team Trials

Quote Originally Posted by larson311 View Post
    Thanks for your insight Chris, I figured this thought had to have been brought up before. It's too bad...hopefully some day the culture will change or at least the approach as you say.
    What worries me about Greco is its future. Judging by how the IOC wants each sport to be a 50/50 ratio between men and women at the Olympics and how UWW isn't concerned enough about getting Greco back to being an artistic sport (throws are a thing of beauty), I'm not sure Greco will be around after the 2020 Olympics. My guess is that there will be 10 weight class each for Freestyle and Women's Freestyle after the Tokyo Olympics.

Again, this is my assumption and isn't based off any rumors that I've heard.
    Hail the BISON!!!

I'm excited for the 10 freestyle weight classes, but would be super bummed about the loss of Greco.

Quote Originally Posted by larson311 View Post
    I'm excited for the 10 freestyle weight classes, but would be super bummed about the loss of Greco.
    We'll have 10 in all three styles next year.

As a Greco-guy myself, I will be devastated. However, watching Greco the past decade has been getting tough to deal with. There's a thing of beauty seeing one individual toss another against their will. Watching two individuals lean and push on each other for six minutes is not a sport in my opinion. Not sure if its more appealing than competitive dancing.

Over the past few years, I have made one suggestion repetitively to every UWW representative I talked to about today's Greco-Roman wrestling - make them wrestle "open." Which means, no closed elbows and blocking. The best Greco athlete I ever met, Egypt's Karam Ibrahim Gaber, wrestle with an open style during his prime and literally wrecked his bracket at the 2004 Olympics.

Hail the BISON!!!