Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Freestyle World Team Trials

Default Re: 2017 Freestyle World Team Trials

Hayden qualified for the FS WTT in Lincoln today. Also qualifying was Josef Rau, another Greco guy. I find it surprisingly how bad Rau wrecked the bracket being that he struggles to score Greco.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Hayden qualified for the FS WTT in Lincoln today. Also qualifying was Josef Rau, another Greco guy. I find it surprisingly how bad Rau wrecked the bracket being that he struggles to score Greco.
    I didn't get a chance to watch but read Rau was just using a head pinch and guys couldn't stop it? True or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    I didn't get a chance to watch but read Rau was just using a head pinch and guys couldn't stop it? True or no?
    I didn't see the matches myself, but was going off by what the brackets said. Not to be too negative on the guy, but watching some of his Greco matches can be tough as he is a classic plodder.
    Hail the BISON!!!

I really wish we qualified our Freestyle team first then Greco, I think it would give some of the #2 and #3 freestyle guys to potentially win some spots in Greco. I think it would make our Greco team stronger.

Zillmer was able to transition well and get to some nice shots...I will have to go back and watch Rau's matches today.

Quote Originally Posted by larson311 View Post
    I really wish we qualified our Freestyle team first then Greco, I think it would give some of the #2 and #3 freestyle guys to potentially win some spots in Greco. I think it would make our Greco team stronger.

Zillmer was able to transition well and get to some nice shots...I will have to go back and watch Rau's matches today.
    Unfortunately, our top freestyle guys have little desire to pursue Greco. There's a lot of freestyle guys that would be Greco medalists if they took it series. Two off the top of my head would be Andrew Howe and Kyle Dake. Instead, both would rather pursue trying to beat Burroughs.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Kyle Dake would be a perfect fit in greco

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Kyle Dake would be a perfect fit in greco
    He was pretty good at it in high school. He also gave Arsen Julfalakyan a good challenge at the Garden in 2014 when Arsen was the reigning World Champion.

Hail the BISON!!!

That's kinda what I'm getting at, if a guy just misses out on the Freestyle world team finishing 2nd or 3rd or something you don't think they would attempt to qualify for Greco world team? The greco guys are trying it and they are probably longer shots at getting a spot than if the roles were reversed considering "Most" of our top athletes go Freestyle over Greco.

Quote Originally Posted by larson311 View Post
    That's kinda what I'm getting at, if a guy just misses out on the Freestyle world team finishing 2nd or 3rd or something you don't think they would attempt to qualify for Greco world team? The greco guys are trying it and they are probably longer shots at getting a spot than if the roles were reversed considering "Most" of our top athletes go Freestyle over Greco.
    Again, as I previously posted, most of our top freestyle guys could care less about Greco. Just a few years ago, we tried push for them to try by having the GR Trials at a later date. I can't remember if any took advantage of trying to make the team.

Part of the reason for this is due to our culture. Freestyle and our folkstyle allow for leg attacks and this is why our top college coaches recruit freestyle kids and push for their athletes to pursue freestyle during the offseason. The Greco kids get little love from the college coaches and that led the Greco program to playing second fiddle in our Nation.

What Greco needs to do in my opinion is not to pursue top-end freestyle and folkstyle wrestlers, but pursue DI lower level All-Americans (3rd through 8th). They need to continue pursuing these guys to give Greco a chance through their entire college career so that they "might" take it up once they finish college. We used to do this and let our team to being pretty darn good, especially in 2006 (we would have won the Worlds this year had a heavyweight from a poor country throw the Gold Medal match) and 2007.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Again, as I previously posted, most of our top freestyle guys could care less about Greco. Just a few years ago, we tried push for them to try by having the GR Trials at a later date. I can't remember if any took advantage of trying to make the team.

Part of the reason for this is due to our culture. Freestyle and our folkstyle allow for leg attacks and this is why our top college coaches recruit freestyle kids and push for their athletes to pursue freestyle during the offseason. The Greco kids get little love from the college coaches and that led the Greco program to playing second fiddle in our Nation.

What Greco needs to do in my opinion is not to pursue top-end freestyle and folkstyle wrestlers, but pursue DI lower level All-Americans (3rd through 8th). They need to continue pursuing these guys to give Greco a chance through their entire college career so that they "might" take it up once they finish college. We used to do this and let our team to being pretty darn good, especially in 2006 (we would have won the Worlds this year had a heavyweight from a poor country throw the Gold Medal match) and 2007.
    Thanks for your insight Chris, I figured this thought had to have been brought up before. It's too bad...hopefully some day the culture will change or at least the approach as you say.