Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sudro Expansion

Default Re: Sudro Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Actually, it's worse than that.

NDSU: "Hey we've raised this money and we'd like to expand a program that has a proven track record and meets a definite need."
    Port and his ilk: "What unmitigated gall! What insolence! Program duplication! Loud noises! Bresciani! Chapman!"
    Legislature: "We're very skeptical about this. Allow us to grill you for a couple hours. Seems like it would make more sense to create a new nursing school in, say, Tioga because oil. Or, failing that, we'd much rather throw $20 million at literally any other campus in the system."

UND: "Hey we'd like $80 million to pimp our medical school."
    Port and his ilk: <crickets>
    Legislature: "That's crazy! You need a lot more money than that! We need more doctors and this new building is guaranteed to give us 0 more doctors per year. And if my math is right, that means each new doctor this new building produces will cost $0 because $150 million divided by zero is zero... Shut up! Shut up! SHUT UP! if we say that we can divide by zero, it's the law! We are more powerful than you can possibly imagine."
    Not that I'm actually defending the idiocy behind Port and his ilk, but there is a good reason for the SBHE and the leg. to approve building requests. While a university might provide the funds to construct a building, the state usually ends up on the hook for other costs. Maintenance, staffing, insurance, etc. In the long run, the state probably ends paying more for the new building than the construction cost total.

I completely agree that the process is being manipulated for scummy political reasons, but misuse of the process by one group doesn't mean it should be removed entirely. (IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Not that I'm actually defending the idiocy behind Port and his ilk, but there is a good reason for the SBHE and the leg. to approve building requests. While a university might provide the funds to construct a building, the state usually ends up on the hook for other costs. Maintenance, staffing, insurance, etc. In the long run, the state probably ends paying more for the new building than the construction cost total.

I completely agree that the process is being manipulated for scummy political reasons, but misuse of the process by one group doesn't mean it should be removed entirely. (IMO)
    Agree. Kind of a weird power control Dynamics between NDSU admin, SBHE and the legislature.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Off topic, but have they made any improvements to the inside of Ladd in the past 10 years? The creaky floors always made me wonder when that building would just decide to either fall down, explode, or a combination of the two.

Maintenance, staffing, insurance, etc. In the long run, the state probably ends paying more for the new building than the construction cost total.
    But those payments are not a function of actual expenses or need, but the new funding formula.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Found the following on the SBOHE website for their meeting on March 30th:

1. Issue: NDSU seeks fund-raising authorization in the amount of $28 Million to
    construct an addition to Sudro Hall. NDSU currently has unsolicited commitments of
    $20 Million which would be accepted if the SBHE so authorizes the fund raising.
    The additional $8 Million would be raised as design and construction proceeded,
    with work components added to the project as donated funds become sufficient to
    do so.

533 In a row

I wasn't implying that the Legislature and SBoHE shouldn't have oversight over new buildings, merely that NDSU is put on a microscope while every other school in the system get truckloads of money dropped onto building projects with no debate whatsoever. Plus, a lot of these building projects are added in EVEN IF the SBoHE says that they're not a priority. I realize a free building isn't free because the spending formula takes into account the square footage that an institution has to maintain - of course, NDSU is starved for space unlike other schools.

The Legislature has always been penny wise and pound foolish as in "We can't spend another penny on NDSU because higher ed costs have skyrocketed!" What they don't say is NDSU has never been the reason for skyrocketing costs - that was caused by the Legislature's insistence on spending more than the national average, sometimes way more, on other schools in the system. Not to mention that they managed to spend a century's worth of NDSU's building budget in two years at UND.

Sorry guys, I was on vacation. Here is much more detail from an e-mail from Dean Peterson. I've known about the gift for sometime, but was not allowed to comment until it was released publicly:

To help meet the region’s needs for future health care professionals, two anonymous donors have notified the NDSU Foundation of major pledges to enhance the College of Health Profession’s ability to educate future pharmacists, nurses, allied sciences and public health professionals.

Generous anonymous donors have come forward with major gifts totaling $20 million to the NDSU College of Health Professions will significantly impact the College’s ability to make programs available to more students who want to pursue health care professions. These generous gifts provide approximately two-thirds of the amount needed to expand our existing educational facility.

Here is the latest information, should you have or receive questions about the project. As leaders in health care, your questions, comments and support are appreciated.

What need does this project address?
    • From 1995 to 2016, enrollment in the College of Health Professions grew 208 percent to more than 2,000 students. The College occupies Sudro Hall and leases space in three more buildings.

• The major gifts from anonymous donors help us meet increasing demands to supply highly qualified health care professionals who care for our families, friends and neighbors in communities across the region.

• The gifts ultimately will make it possible to enroll more students who pursue education in health professions at NDSU. In nursing, for example, the College currently must turn away highly-qualified applicants each year due to facility constraints.

• These two major gifts make it possible to begin the approval process to develop a privately-funded addition to Sudro Hall. The structure was built in 1960, and includes a privately-funded addition in 2002.

• The project also helps address space concerns raised by accreditation bodies during visits to our facility.

What are the next steps?
    • NDSU is seeking approval from the State Board of Higher Education to pursue this option to help the state and region meet the critical need for health care professionals.

• If approved, the College of Health Professions and the NDSU Foundation will conduct a capital campaign to raise another $8 million for a Sudro Hall addition. This project will allow the College of Health Professions to increase the number of students graduating from its pharmacy, nursing, respiratory care, sonography, radiologic sciences, medical lab science, and public health disciplines, while enhancing programs offered.

Where do I get more info?
    • For a detailed view of project goals, visit https://workspaces.ndsu.edu/fileadmi...et_32217cs.pdf

• North Dakota will have 4,430 registered nurse openings through 2020, according to a national report from the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce. https://cew.georgetown.edu/report/nursingprojections/

• A significant number of counties in North Dakota are designated as health professional shortage areas. For details, visit an interactive map from the Health Resources and Services Administration Data Warehouse at https://datawarehouse.hrsa.gov/Tools...38&dp=PC,DC,MH

I will continue to provide information as this project progresses. I welcome your questions, comments and support in our efforts to build upon our commitment to current and future students, patients, health care providers and communities in the region.

Sincerely,

Charles D. Peterson, Dean, College of Health Professions

Charles D. Peterson, Pharm.D., FASHP
    Dean and Professor / College of Health Professions

http://www.inforum.com/news/4267569-...final-approval

Per the Forum,
    "Legislators also authorized an addition to Sudro Hall, which houses health sciences programs, of up to $28 million. Private donors already have contributed $20 million to enable expansion of NDSU's nursing program, and now fundraisers are working to increase that amount."

Also, some other interesting notes from the article.

In other action Monday, the State Board of Higher Education voted to have Don Morton, a board member from Fargo, replace Kathleen Neset as chairman of the board, effective July 1.

A new residence hall for sophomores, previously approved by lawmakers, will cost $39.5 million and be adjacent to three high-rise dormitories on the campus's northwest quadrant. The new residence hall will be six stories tall and will have 390 beds, with a community room and possibly a community kitchen.

The new residence hall will be connected, as the nearby high-rise dormitories are, via tunnel to the West Dining Center, sparing students from having to walk outside for their meals."

If there was the demand for space at any other institution in the 'system' like at NDSU, Bismarck would have thrown cash at them.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Construction is scheduled to start on this project later this spring.

533 In a row