Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA championships

Default Re: NCAA championships

Both NDSU Wrestling Twitter and Flo make it look like Ream is up against Mike D'Angelo next, but I'm pretty sure that he is going to be wrestling right away against Colt Shorts. At least I hope he knows.

Not a good tournament at all for Clay. I haven't spoke with him but he just seemed off in both matches. Definitely not the way he wanted to end his season

Hansel is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Rodriguez just lost 5-2

Sykora up on mat 3 soon

Looks like the team is still in a funk that started around the Utah Valley dual. Team is going to need to regroup and refocus this offseason.
    Hail the BISON!!!

The buckeye wrestler is good.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    The buckeye wrestler is good.
    I expect him (Tomasello) to be representing the USA at 57 KG this fall in Paris for the World Championships.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Hansel is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Sykora with a late reversal/back points to win his consolation match

I'll be honest, even after chewing on it for a bit, today was terrible for NDSU.
    125- Josh isn't the same guy he was early in the year. Like Christopher mentioned, the team, and especially Josh IMO, have been in a funk since the calendar turned to February. He wasn't close with Pich today and that is frustrating. With all of that said, he has as easy of a path to AA status as you can ask for. He'll have unseeded Pitrowski (who has been wrestling really well of late), then either unseeded Townsell or 16th seeded Kraisser, before likely squaring off with 14th seeded Alfredo Rodriguez, who Josh hammered earlier this year. That has to be AA status...it just has to happen.
    133- Cam actually did well. He had a really nice win over 16 seeded Devoy, before running into NaTO. His wrestleback path is very manageable to AA status. I'm not saying he will AA, but he too has a very reasonable path. He'll have 15th seeded Morris, before likely squaring off with 9th seeded Scotty Parker (I can't see Grey knocking Parker off). That will be the big one for Cam, because after that, he would likely have 11th seeded Lantry. I think Cam knocks off Morris, then loses to Parker. If he gets through parker, I think he beats Lantry.
    157- Clay just flat out didn't look good today. His reactions were slow and Fox was well prepared for Clay's defense (his head positioning when finishing his shots was perfect). It was hugely disappointing for me as a fan to see Clay go out like this, so I can't imagine what it was like for him or Gladiator Dad. Couple things to remember about Clay's season though. He had to steal an AQ spot last year to get to the NCAA tournament. This year, he wrestled well all year, knocked off a bunch of high quality opponents, and earned the #6 seed in the NCAA tourney while being the B12 runner up. That is a MASSIVE improvement in one year. Next year, he'll likely start in the top 10 in all polls and he'll have a great shot to AA.
    165- Great job by Fogarty to battle back and improbably steal that wrestleback match. He has Campbell next, who has looked really solid, so I don't see his run continuing, but I still think his year was a success. rFr qualifies for NCAA tourney and even won a match in the tourney.
    HWT- What a disappointment. Not necessarily the losses, but moreso his actions. He handled himself exceptionally poorly and it reflected extremely poorly on himself and the university. On a wrestling level, he was poor today. Hemida is a guy Ben can, and should (and has), beat. Hemida took it to Ben and crushed him. Ben had a great chance to rattle off 2 wins in the wrestlebacks and finish his career on a run, but didn't show up. With all of those negatives said, I will miss his production. He was entertaining and more than serviceable. I was worried we would have a black hole at HWT after Evan left, and boy I'm glad Ben came here.
    Coaches- No problems with the in match strategy just 2 general comments. I hope this tournament causes an open, honest assessment of how things went both right and wrong this year. Regardless of how the next two days unfold, the team hit a really rough patch the past two months and that is precisely when they need to peak. Josh doesn't look the same, guys were far too regularly out-conditioned late in the season too. The schedule was very soft too, and I really think guys need to be exposed to high level competition frequently if you want them to be successful in a tournament like this. Also, Big Ben was frequently a poor sport throughout the season and I hope the coaches take a harder stance on it next year. He routinely shoved after the whistle, got in guys faces, and showboated after wins. Today it manifested on the biggest stage and was a terrible optic. I get that his career just ended, but this was an ongoing trend that was only getting worse. Kudos to Hemida for not retaliating and making it worse and to Kish for going out to make sure Ben didn't make it worse (which it's ridiculous that he even had to do that). Those are the negatives IMO. The positives: much better dual record, 5 guys to NCAAs, and hopefully 2 AAs still.

double post

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Thanks for the analysis Bird. Is Clay for sure coming back next year?