Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposed 2017 Rules Changes

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Proposed 2017 Rules Changes

The NCAA rules committee only publishes a rule book every other year so the off year they only consider important safety issues. This is an off year. The committee released their proposed safety changes for this year. They are not final, but it's unusual for them to not be approved. They are:

1. No more hurdling the offensive line on tries and FGs
    2. Knee pads/pants must cover the knees
    3. Grabbing and pulling down at the name plate area of a jersey can also be a horse collar tackle

Here is the full press release: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...-player-safety

There are a couple POEs, one being the management of sidelines and being more harsh on coaches who come on the field and demonstrably protest a call. We saw a little enforcement last year, but it continues to be an issue. Length of game is also an issue so they are looking at ways to improve it. One you will see this year (if you notice), is the halftime clock will start as soon as the players leave the field and not when the coaches leave the interview (could save an 30-60 seconds). When the clock reaches 0:00 at halftime as well the teams will be ready for the kickoff. Previously there could be a 2-3 minute delay after the halftime clock ran out before teams would be ready and TV tried to fill a couple more slots. They will consider rule changes like not stopping the clock for first downs or restarting the clock sooner after incomplete passes (at least outside of the last 2 minutes of a half).

Default Re: Proposed 2017 Rules Changes

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The NCAA rules committee only publishes a rule book every other year so the off year they only consider important safety issues. This is an off year. The committee released their proposed safety changes for this year. They are not final, but it's unusual for them to not be approved. They are:

3. Grabbing and pulling down at the name plate area of a jersey can also be a horse collar tackle

Here is the full press release: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...-player-safety

There are a couple POEs, one being the management of sidelines and being more harsh on coaches who come on the field and demonstrably protest a call. We saw a little enforcement last year, but it continues to be an issue. Length of game is also an issue so they are looking at ways to improve it. One you will see this year (if you notice), is the halftime clock will start as soon as the players leave the field and not when the coaches leave the interview (could save an 30-60 seconds). When the clock reaches 0:00 at halftime as well the teams will be ready for the kickoff. Previously there could be a 2-3 minute delay after the halftime clock ran out before teams would be ready and TV tried to fill a couple more slots. They will consider rule changes like not stopping the clock for first downs or restarting the clock sooner after incomplete passes (at least outside of the last 2 minutes of a half).
    Agree with the first 2 but not the third. The whole horse collar rule is ridiculous IMO. How many players have been hurt by horse collar tackles?

Why is every sport so worried about length of game/pace of play. The above mentioned things might save 10 minutes. I guess I accept the fact going to a sporting event a basketball game will be roughly 2 hours and football will be right around or over 3 hours. This is barring OT or injury timeouts or something like that. They even want more golf courses to go to larger 6 inch cups to help speed up play. I expect golf to take 4 hours with a foursome playing. I get that all our lives are busy and time is precious.

Couple years ago baseball was going to put up netting from 3rd base all the way to 1st base to help prevent the 1 freak accident of someone getting hit badly by a ball or bat into the stands. If they would not have been on their phone texting it might have been avoided. I have not been to any MLB games to see if they put in all this netting. If they have not and it was just a talking point for a period of time and blew over. Same with pace of play right now. Why is it a problem now and not the past 20 years?
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Why is every sport so worried about length of game/pace of play. The above mentioned things might save 10 minutes. I guess I accept the fact going to a sporting event a basketball game will be roughly 2 hours and football will be right around or over 3 hours. This is barring OT or injury timeouts or something like that. They even want more golf courses to go to larger 6 inch cups to help speed up play. I expect golf to take 4 hours with a foursome playing. I get that all our lives are busy and time is precious.

Couple years ago baseball was going to put up netting from 3rd base all the way to 1st base to help prevent the 1 freak accident of someone getting hit badly by a ball or bat into the stands. If they would not have been on their phone texting it might have been avoided. I have not been to any MLB games to see if they put in all this netting. If they have not and it was just a talking point for a period of time and blew over. Same with pace of play right now. Why is it a problem now and not the past 20 years?
    The length of games continues to increase. There were games at 3:30+ last year. The big elephant in the room is the #1 reason is TV timeouts and producers extending those time outs to commentary. Using the exact sames rules with a lot of passing teams, scoring, and change of possession (other factors that result in extending game time), my D3 games average 2:45. We had several last year that were closer to 2:30. We had none over 3:00. I agree changing the items above will help shorten some, but they won't near the impact of reducing TV time outs. With all the money coming from TV contracts I doubt they will be willing to give up that time.

Why is every sport so worried about length of game/pace of play.
    The attention span of younger generations is getting worse. Right now, they're at the equivalent of a goldfish.

For example, when I was a part of the production team for our Triple-A baseball team in Colorado Springs a few years back, most of the sub-25 year-olds would complain non-stop about how long the game was. The complaining usually every day an hour before first pitch.
    Hail the BISON!!!

There are a couple POEs, one being the management of sidelines and being more harsh on coaches who come on the field and demonstrably protest a call. We saw a little enforcement last year, but it continues to be an issue. Length of game is also an issue so they are looking at ways to improve it. One you will see this year (if you notice), is the halftime clock will start as soon as the players leave the field and not when the coaches leave the interview (could save an 30-60 seconds). When the clock reaches 0:00 at halftime as well the teams will be ready for the kickoff. Previously there could be a 2-3 minute delay after the halftime clock ran out before teams would be ready and TV tried to fill a couple more slots. They will consider rule changes like not stopping the clock for first downs or restarting the clock soonIzzy still looking for the Fargodome , might find in time for next home game. Need bigger stadium to help Izzy find. er after incomplete passes (at least outside of the last 2 minutes of a half).
    Just f'ing great....can these people just stop messing with the game of football?????? Wow, all of those new rules are full of subjectivity and will cause all sorts interpretation issues. Really, do these rules make the game better?

There are a couple POEs, one being the management of sidelines and being more harsh on coaches who come on the field and demonstrably protest a call. We saw a little enforcement last year, but it continues to be an issue. Length of game is also an issue so they are looking at ways to improve it. One you will see this year (if you notice), is the halftime clock will start as soon as the players leave the field and not when the coaches leave the interview (could save an 30-60 seconds). When the clock reaches 0:00 at halftime as well the teams will be ready for the kickoff. Previously there could be a 2-3 minute delay after the halftime clock ran out before teams would be ready and TV tried to fill a couple more slots. They will consider rule changes like not stopping the clock for first downs or restarting the clock soonIzzy still looking for the Fargodome , might find in time for next home game. Need bigger stadium to help Izzy find. er after incomplete passes (at least outside of the last 2 minutes of a half).
    Just f'ing great....can these people stop messing with the game of football?????? Wow, all of those new rules are full of subjectivity and will cause all sorts interpretation issues. Really, do these rules make the game better?

They changed the play clock to try and make the game quicker several years ago. Then teams started going hurry up, throwing more, so of course that prolonged it. They need to stop trying to "fix" the game. Also, what's wrong with a longer game?

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Just f'ing great....can these people just stop messing with the game of football?????? Wow, all of those new rules are full of subjectivity and will cause all sorts interpretation issues. Really, do these rules make the game better?
    Busybodies. Happening in every sport unfortunately.

If a foursome could play a round in only 4 hours on any muni in the country the golf people wouldn't be worried about how long it takes to play. A lot of places it's 5+ hours.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie