Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big XII in Tulsa, OK

Default Re: Big XII in Tulsa, OK

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    Clay ream on deck, 671 on Directv
    7-0 L. Oklahoma State romp marches on.

BRING BACK SNORTY

Rough second day. Didn't get a lot of help team-wise in the consolation brackets and dropped from 2nd to 4th.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Rough second day. Didn't get a lot of help team-wise in the consolation brackets and dropped from 2nd to 4th.
    Agreed, that was a rough day! I'm thinking Fogarty will get a wildcard. Not sure about Eaton, he had two good chances to get himself in, but couldn't make it happen.

Just a few notes on the Big XII Tournament in Tulsa.

Venue & Location
    The venue itself was very nice but as far as being a "Neutral Location" I think not. Stillwater is only 70 miles away and the entire center three sections on both sides of the arena were all wearing orange. All the other participating schools were seated out on the edges on the sides or at the end of the arena. To give you a little perspective as for being "Neutral" when I hit the exit to go to my hotel on Friday I was greeted with a Huge orange O on the side of a hospital building that had a sign below the "O" that read "Oklahoma State Medical Center". I kind of figured that neutrality was out the window at that point.

The downtown Tulsa area is mostly corporate offices and pretty much becomes a ghost town after 4:30 with the vast majority of the restaurants closing for the day or in some cases the weekend. There are some nice restaurants about 1 -2 miles away from the venue and the hotels but most of the downtown hotels will run shuttles to them if they're with 3 miles. I preferred the KC setup last year with Power & Light Entertainment District right across the street from the venue.

Tournament & Officiating
    The people running the tournament itself ran it very well and things went smooth for the most part aside a couple of clock issues nothing bad to say about the way it was ran at all. The only thing that I thought strange was the computer monitor for any challenges during the finals was about 50 feet away from the mat at the media table, when all tournament long the revue was done mat-side.

As far as the officiating, I know some of the coaches were on them from time to time but I can't say that any match was decided by a bad call from an official and the officials did initiate a few Official Reviews to make sure they got the call correctly.

Team Performance

125 - Josh was very disappointed that he did not win the Big XII Title but wrestled well all weekend and I fully expect to see him standing on the podium in a couple of weeks in St Louis.

133 - Cam wrestled extremely well, even against Gross in my opinion, I was very happy to see him punch his ticket to St Louis. I look for Cam to surprise a few people in St Louis

141 - Nein started the touny out with nice win against AF but ran into the buzz saw named Dean Heil of OKST. He then dropped his next match to Pohlmeyer of SDSU, I think it was a good experience for him to see that type of atmosphere and see how much more work he needs to put in to get himself to that next level

149 - Friedman, similar to Nein opened the tournament up with a nice MD win over Polkowske of UNC only to next meet up with Anthony Collica of OKST the next round. I thought he would win over Moreno of IAST but cae up short to be knocked out of the tourny. I thought with a win there he might be able to sneak in and grab a top four finish.

157 - Clay like Josh was very disappointed in his finals match with Smith. He knows the adjustments that need to be made next time around if they were to meet again and at the end of the day as much as he would have like to win the Big XII Title punching the ticket to St Louis was always the main goal going into the tournament. Like Josh I think Clay can make a run and end up on the podium in St Louis as well.

165 - Fogarty, I'm not sure what happened in the wrestleback semis, he was wrestling so well and I think he shut it down too early. I think that loss was still too fresh on his mind when he went into the 5th place match with Ashworth of WY and came up short in that one as well. I think he has an outside shot at one of the remaining Wild Cards and I will be tuning in on Tuesday to see if he gets selected.

174 - Urbach went 2-2 at the tournament opened with a nice win and simply got out wrestled by Kocer in that next match. He did bounce back with a nice MD win over Millward of WVA but lost that critical next match

184 - McNutt opened with a tough loss to Powell of IAST bounced back that next round with a nice win over Dixon of OU and then lost a heart breaker to SDSU's Mueller. In his 5th place match he did some damage to his ankle and although early x-rays came back negative there was a lot of swelling so I think he will have to be re-evaluated when the swelling goes down. Hopefully just a bad sprain and nothing more.

197 - Eaton, started out with a nice win and then lost to Rotert 9-4. Cordell then bounced back and put a couple fo nice wins together to give himself a chance to sneak onto the plane to St Louis loosing to Johnson of OU and Harrington from IAST. In the Harrington match Cordell dug a deep hole on the scoreboard but battled back only to come up short and grab that last AQ Spot. It would be a long shot seeing who is still not in the NCAA Tournament for Cordell to grab one of the last At Large Bids.

285 - Tynan, Big Ben did just enough to secure his seat on the plane to St Louis. That OU kid I think is in his head because he never wrestles well against him for some reason. He accomplished one of his goals and made it the the big show in St Louis and hopefully he can put together a few wins in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator Dad View Post
    Just a few notes on the Big XII Tournament in Tulsa.

285 - Tynan, Big Ben did just enough to secure his seat on the plane to St Louis. That OU kid I think is in his head because he never wrestles well against him for some reason. He accomplished one of his goals and made it the the big show in St Louis and hopefully he can put together a few wins in a couple of weeks.
    Great recap. I'm still getting caught up with some of the matches but you're spot on.

Aas far as Tynan-Larson, I think they've met 3 or 4 times and Ben hasn't made it out of the first period yet. Larson is solid, but not great, so it has to be a mental thing

I forgot to give Coach Magee a shout-out for setting up the Bison Social in between sessions on Saturday. We had a great time getting together.

Andrew Fogarty received an at large bid and will be going to the NCAA championships.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Andrew Fogarty received an at large bid and will be going to the NCAA championships.
    I thought he had a good chance when I was looking things over. I still would have preferred that he made it easier on us and would have taken that AQ Spot Sunday. I honestly thought both Fogarty and Eaton would be going to St Louis. It would've been nice to double our amount of qualifiers this year from the number from last year.