Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Conference tourney thoughts- before during and afterward

Default Re: Conference tourney thoughts- before during and afterward

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Crazy to think we were making fun of that team 3 months ago. With the emergence of USD, those 2 teams are going to make it awfully difficult for anyone else to come out of the Summit with the support they get in the conference tournament. Pretty impressive really.
    Well that zone was an easy target to rip on. They are going to be tough next year now that their coach has figured some things out, going to miss having Dex against them. He seemed to get under their skin a bit.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Crazy to think we were making fun of that team 3 months ago. With the emergence of USD, those 2 teams are going to make it awfully difficult for anyone else to come out of the Summit with the support they get in the conference tournament. Pretty impressive really.
    Not really all that impressive. Both schools (USD and SDSU) are within a 45 minute drive of Sioux Falls and more than 50% of their Alumni live and work in Sioux Falls. Not to mention, in South Dakota basketball is their primary sport (no high school hockey, and basketball equal to or bigger than football here). Quite the unearned advantage that the Summit decided to indefinitely drop in the lap of USD and SDSU. Any year these teams finish middle of the pack or higher they will have increased odds of getting to the final and winning as compared to playing elsewhere.

I've never been too impressed with USD's support, maybe it is different this year though. I'm stuck in Fargo this year, which was fortunate considering how awful yesterday's game was.

The way the tournament is setup it does give the SD schools a massive advantage, the bizarre way the tournament is formatted feeds into it as well. Just really not all that convenient at all for traveling fans. Leagues like the MVC do it much better.

Default Conference tourney thoughts- before during and afterward

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Not really all that impressive. Both schools (USD and SDSU) are within a 45 minute drive of Sioux Falls and more than 50% of their Alumni live and work in Sioux Falls. Not to mention, in South Dakota basketball is their primary sport (no high school hockey, and basketball equal to or bigger than football here). Quite the unearned advantage that the Summit decided to indefinitely drop in the lap of USD and SDSU. Any year these teams finish middle of the pack or higher they will have increased odds of getting to the final and winning as compared to playing elsewhere.
    Considering the tourney last year drew more fans to watch just the women's games than the Summit has drawn total in any other location, where do you suggest it goes that even gets half the turn out and has the same level of facilities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Hunters Safety-Treat Every Hunter as if He Were Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I've never been too impressed with USD's support, maybe it is different this year though. I'm stuck in Fargo this year, which was fortunate considering how awful yesterday's game was.

The way the tournament is setup it does give the SD schools a massive advantage, the bizarre way the tournament is formatted feeds into it as well. Just really not all that convenient at all for traveling fans. Leagues like the MVC do it much better.
    Don't try telling SD schools this. They get all defensive and act like they deserve the home court advantage. They will even say NDSU gets the advantage of hosting all the FCS playoffs games up through the semi finals. To that I laugh and say NDSU deserves it since they finish in the top few spots in the national polls. WTF did USD or SDSU do to get an annual gift of essentially home court for the one bid to NCAA tourney Summit Conference. Total BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 76 View Post
    Considering the tourney last year drew more fans to watch just the women's games than the Summit has drawn total in any other location, where do you suggest it goes that even gets half the turn out and has the same level of facilities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Knew it wouldn't be long until the SD lurkers would pop in. I could give a fuck what the attendance is. Only reason the Summit Tourney does so well for attendance is close proximity for SD schools and little or no hockey in SD. Rotate the damn tourney to 3 or 4 cities in the Summit footprint every 2 or 3 years. Might take some work to coordinate, but who says it has to be easy.

Don't try telling SD schools this. They get all defensive and act like they deserve the home court advantage. They will even say NDSU gets the advantage of hosing all the FCS playoffs games up through the semi finals. To that I laugh and say NDSU deserves it since they finish in the top few spots in the national polls. WTF did USD or SDSU do to get an annual gift of essentially home court for the one bid to NCAA tourney Summit Conference. Total BS.
    Yeah, I hear you. The #1 seed should host it, of course that also has its drawbacks but it is the most fair way to do it or at least rotate it once in a while.

Don't try telling SD schools this. They get all defensive and act like they deserve the home court advantage. They will even say NDSU gets the advantage of hosting all the FCS playoffs games up through the semi finals. To that I laugh and say NDSU deserves it since they finish in the top few spots in the national polls. WTF did USD or SDSU do to get an annual gift of essentially home court for the one bid to NCAA tourney Summit Conference. Total BS.
    Location and arena.

How was the comparison of USD fans there last night to NDSU fans? I think that's a fair comparison. I know the game was ho-hum last night but I couldn;t really hear any fans cheering for either team in the Bison game.

FT Wayne loves to turn it over