Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Conference tourney thoughts- before during and afterward

Default Re: Conference tourney thoughts- before during and afterward

Quote Originally Posted by jacksfan29 View Post
    I'm sure someone knows but I'm not sure when the last time was that a Big Sky school received better than a 15 or 16 seed. Weber were really good in the 90s and Montana had some years but outside of that, maybe EWU several years back?

UND has no history and yes, the BSC is an absolutely terrible conference. Everything I've seen which lists UND has them in a play in while SDSU is showing up as a 15 and/or 16 in the field of 64. I would prefer a play in game this year. Get a chance to earn some money in a winnable game before getting fed to a #1. But you better win that game.

As for the tournament schedule. I think the SLT should move to a Thursday - Sunday [[and if ESPN won't play then move the tournament to Fox]]. Moving the days allows for more out of state attendees and lessens the talk of it being an SDSU home game. It is possible the earlier sessions may suffer a bit but I think the attendance drop would easily be made up on the weekend. You definitely would have seen more Omaha attendees last night had the game been on Sunday and it is likely more WIU fans would have made the long drive for the women's championship.

As for moving it. Holy crap no. Would people rather pull a Big Sky and play in front of 200 people in Reno or go back to a High School arena in Tulsa? Sioux Falls provides a great atmosphere that is bringing attention to the conference, it isn't moving so fix the days and move on.
    You have to remember there are more relationships involved with ESPN than just a single Conference Championship game. Midco holds the broadcast rights for the rest of the games, and all of those games are rebroadcast on ESPN3. There are also agreements during the regular season with ESPN that puts games on ESPN3.

It doesn't make sense to me to move the first two rounds off of Saturday and Sunday when those days involve the largest number of schools. Why move those to Thursday/Friday and make 16 team's fans travel to a weekday game when you can have them all play on a weekend and then only affect the 8 teams that advance.

I'd guess the goal of the conference is to maximize overall attendance, revenue, and positive experience for the student athlete. Having the first two rounds on the weekend does the best job of all of those things IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    These arguments really don't make sense. If it's Thursday-Sunday you have to take off work Thursday, Friday and likely a half day on Monday since the game still won't get over until 10pm. Right now you take off Monday, Tuesday and a half a day Wednesday. It's no additional time off of work if you're going for the whole tournament. I go to this tournament every year, it's an easy drive, hotels aren't that expensive and you know when it's going to be months in advance so it's real easy to plan for. Sioux Falls does an amazing job with the tournament and I wouldn't want it anywhere else, we just need more fans to realize how great of a time and tournament it is and make the effort to show up. Tickets go on sale the same time for all the rest of the schools as they do for SDSU fans so if you don't want a home court advantage for SDSU buy tickets and show up in Green & Gold.
    It should be Friday-Saturday-Sunday.

End of story, exactly like the MVC tournament. Only the bottom of the league teams play on Thursday night in that tournament. The higher seeds get the advantage of playing teams that had played the night before, so it would kind of make up for losing the bye.

That said even if you had Thursday-Sunday...half of the teams would play Friday-Sunday which is still better and one game would be at 8:30 p.m. on Thursday so you could leave at 4:00 p.m. or so and get down in time for that game.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by JackEFann View Post
    Here's another thought: It makes no difference what night you play if you lose in the first round.
    Yes it does. If we lose on a Saturday night I don't have to take time off work. If we lose on a Sunday night I would still have to take time off work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks02 View Post
    You have to remember there are more relationships involved with ESPN than just a single Conference Championship game. Midco holds the broadcast rights for the rest of the games, and all of those games are rebroadcast on ESPN3. There are also agreements during the regular season with ESPN that puts games on ESPN3.

It doesn't make sense to me to move the first two rounds off of Saturday and Sunday when those days involve the largest number of schools. Why move those to Thursday/Friday and make 16 team's fans travel to a weekday game when you can have them all play on a weekend and then only affect the 8 teams that advance.

I'd guess the goal of the conference is to maximize overall attendance, revenue, and positive experience for the student athlete. Having the first two rounds on the weekend does the best job of all of those things IMHO.
    The goal of the conference should be so the tournament best showcases its marquee games and is best for traveling fans. I garauntee those student athletes would love to have more of their fans in attendance cheering them on.

It should be about creating the best atmosphere. I am willing to concede the tournament to SF but a compromise needs to be made to help fans that need to travel.

How was NDSU's student section in Sioux Falls?

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    How was NDSU's student section in Sioux Falls?
    Maybe 15....unless there were more not sitting in student section.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    Revenue is a pretty good argument...

If you want to maximize overall tournament attendance (aka revenue) the current format is ideal. Changing might get more fans in the championship (when NDSU is involved), but you will lose more fans on the front end. There is zero doubt in my mind it would be a net revenue loss for the league. A Thursday-Sunday format would also be devastating to women's attendance (more revenue lost).

Putting the low interest games on the weekend makes them as easy as possible to attend, which means more tickets will be sold.
    I don't see how it changes much of anything in regards to revenue, Thursday games might take a hit I guess but women's semifinal games would get a boost being on Saturday so would the title game potentially especially if non-SD teams were involved.

Also lets remember the current format puts the women's title game during the week in the middle of the day, which is a terrible time to showcase such a big game to anyone that actually has to work and can't take time off.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsBison View Post
    Maybe 15....unless there were more not sitting in student section.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Yea see IMO tha's where it can change. If students only showed up to a first round playoff game against Robert Morris and there was like 2oo kids there the fanbase would be trashing them big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 76 View Post
    Would they though? What's easier to get time off for people, Monday-Wednesday or Thursday-Friday? Mentally it's easier to take off the end of the week for me. Realistically the two reasons the women's attendance is so good is from USD and SDSU fans. They would still show, not as well but they would definitely show. And you using the numbers for the non SD session numbers are pure boosted by it being part of the session with the SD school before it. I watched, no way 9000+ were present watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WIU/Denver and IUPUI/NDSU had a listed attendance of 3300 for the Saturday afternoon women's session. No way in hell that happens on a Thursday afternoon.

It seems to me that the attendance numbers the league gives are actual attendance. There has to be more than 3300 all session passes sold. Following that logic, I don't doubt that over 9000 passed through the turnstiles at some point during the Saturday night session.

Quote Originally Posted by JackEFann View Post
    Here's another thought: It makes no difference what night you play if you lose in the first round.
    Are you also a Jack football fan? If so you should really know how this feels and also the importance of home field or court advantage.

But, maybe the conference should let schools/cities bid for it like they do for football. Could bid year or two in advance. Seems to work for Frisco and the NCAA tournament. If you think your team has a big advantage from home court and will make the dance because of it and get exposure then bid big and support the program. Or give the prior season conference championship a bidding advantage or right to host.