Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time for NDSU Hockey

moosbah is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Time for NDSU Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    I believe you meant, Women's Hockey is a financial drain. Consider this, if NDSU football goes FBS, we will have ZERO sports on campus capable of winning a national championship. Let me repeat, NDSU will no longer be able to win a national Championship. That's a tough pill to swallow for an institution and alumni base that is accustomed to it. For that reason alone I hope we look at Hockey someday.

Football at FBS: Boise State type status which would be awesome.
    M&W Basketball: Ceiling is probably a Sweet 16
    Softball: Ceilling is probably a Super Regional but since we have done that perhaps a College World Series
    Wrestling is the one sport where we are likely to see an individual national championship.

Rest of the Olympics? Very unlikely

Lastly, imagine the epic anguish and butthurt from GF if NDSU ever made it to a Frozen Four in a year when UND didn't.
    I think it needs to be kept in mind how long it would take to be competitive in hockey in the NCHC. It's a BIG jump in level of play from where they are now. And that's IF the NCHC would take them, as they already shoot down WCHA teams that are jumping off that sinking ship (WCHA will likely dissolve in the near future). If they didn't go NCHC, where would they go to? No one is going to add a program from North Dakota if there aren't other teams nearby to play and college hockey is, as you know, a super niche sport.

That's a lot of huge ifs to address.
    Sioux SUCK! It just has a nice ring to it.

R.I.P. CLC
    5/13/2012

Quote Originally Posted by HandoEX View Post
    I'd burn my diploma if NDSU ever added hockey.
    best answer ever. hockey is stupid sport for moronic neanderthals , they actually THINK they are relevant in the world, that everything revolves around hockey. its amazing the stupidity of that,

if you have to watch this niche sport, Minnesota Gophers right over there for ya.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

I believe you meant, Women's Hockey is a financial drain. Consider this, if NDSU football goes FBS, we will have ZERO sports on campus capable of winning a national championship. Let me repeat, NDSU will no longer be able to win a national Championship. That's a tough pill to swallow for an institution and alumni base that is accustomed to it. For that reason alone I hope we look at Hockey someday.

Football at FBS: Boise State type status which would be awesome.
    M&W Basketball: Ceiling is probably a Sweet 16
    Softball: Ceilling is probably a Super Regional but since we have done that perhaps a College World Series
    Wrestling is the one sport where we are likely to see an individual national championship.

Rest of the Olympics? Very unlikely

Lastly, imagine the epic anguish and butthurt from GF if NDSU ever made it to a Frozen Four in a year when UND didn't.

Oh so beating out 58 teams that are over 50% D2 and D3 institutions would give you a chubby? oh wow, you beat out Quinnipiac, Union and Ferris State, Mankato, & Bemidji. hahaha.

Do you think Illinois, Rutgers, Arizona fans hate their lives too, they will never win a ncaa football title either will Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas State.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    But I'd bet it would be revenue neutral at worst. Probably make a profit.

Look, I'm an NDSU basketball and football fan in that order. The order will switch to football then basketball if we ever go FBS someday, because I love college football at the highest level. But I'd be a season ticket holder for hockey as well if we had it. I'll bet there's a lot of money and interest from the Fargo-Moorhead community that would flow to NDSU hockey and therefore further drive interest in NDSU generally.
    If NDSU seriously started planning for Div I hockey, the budget crisis would be over by the time your ready. FM area would greatly support Bison Hockey, it should be a money maker, they are 3 times as many homes games than in FB, (FBS is a dream, it would grab every dollar from every other sport, and still not enough $ and any Natty would be unreachable). WCHA is were you get in, very respected conference and someday you would be in same conference as UND. UND would not do anything to harm your start, they have been very supportive of other programs starting Div I hockey. Scheels Arena would be a great home, hope we get to pay in the regional there in 2.5 weeks.

WISH YOU THE BEST, of course till you play the Hawks.
    Looking forward to Summit & MVFC[SIGPIC]

Id rather go FBS

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Id rather go FBS
    I agree. If you’re going to fork out the $$ to add MIH - and something else for W - the overall brand/growth of NDSU is better served by FBS, but I don’t see it happening any time soon.

The G5 knows they're getting hosed by the P5, but their reaction is to try to appear more P5ish. This is why the MWC has eyes for Rice and not NDSU. Rice will never go, IMHO … lateral move.

NDSU's athletic priorities should be:
    1. An indoor practice facility
    2. Getting all of our programs to the top tier in funding and salaries
    3. A new expandable football stadium
    4. Move FB to FBS and add womens sports for title IX compliance
    10. Explore adding hockey

Priorities could be changed depending on a sugar daddy leaving NDSU a $100 million or more.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    NDSU's athletic priorities should be:
    1. An indoor practice facility
    2. Getting all of our programs to the top tier in funding and salaries
    3. A new expandable football stadium
    4. Move FB to FBS and add womens sports for title IX compliance
    5. Build new basketball arena on campus and make the SHAC the home of Volleyball, Women's Basketball, Wrestling, and new gymnastics program that is added to offset FBS scholarships. Big XII would take us in that sport in a heartbeat.
    10. Explore adding hockey

Priorities could be changed depending on a sugar daddy leaving NDSU a $100 million or more.
    Fixed it for you...

Fixed it for you...
    Good, good. That's why I left those blank ones there...

I gave up on this years ago, the Non- hockey people are very loud and adamant, though I too believe it wold be a great addition.
    I simply enjoy watching hockey and accept not all do, they won, they beat me down.
    "Chicks dig me cuz I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual." John Winger (Bill Murray- Stripes)