Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for NDSU Hockey

Default Time for NDSU Hockey

I know there have been other threads on this. I know some people hate the idea. But the landscape for college sports in North Dakota has changed since the last hockey conversation.

Now that UND is going to be in the Summit and MVFC, we've no longer got something that UND doesn't have, and that annoys me. In fact, we helped them achieve those league memberships. So, there should be absolutely no reason why UND would oppose NDSU starting D-1 hockey. We could join the WCHA in 5 minutes and be competitive. Scheels would be perhaps the nicest arena in the league. It would sell out every game.

Of course, any change in athletics would have to be gender neutral, so that means a women's team (most leagues require that anyway for membership). In our budget climate, such a move would also have to be revenue neutral or better. That's the kicker...when I look at hockey programs at schools our size, hockey is a money-maker (and that includes calculating for the net loss of revenue with women's hockey). For example, at St. Cloud State, net expenses for men's and women's hockey combined in 2016 was $3.28 million; net revenue was $3.76 million. At Minnesota-Duluth, they were about $1 million in the black.

If there is a plan at NDSU to go FBS, then I would understand not being distracted by hockey. But with an arena already in place and a potentially very large fan base for D-1 hockey in F-M, I'm at a loss for why we would not consider this.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Default Re: Time for NDSU Hockey

Boooooo! Omg so dumb.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    Boooooo! Omg so dumb.
    I don't understand... what's so dumb about it?

It's the same decision Gene Taylor made. Either get hockey or go D1 in other sports.

I won't dismiss it like others will.

I think we could actually do well in hockey. It's expensive but it's also a revenue sport. We could never be in the same discussion as UND is in facilities but looking at the talent pool in the Midwest and success some pretty small schools have had, I have no doubt we could be competitive within 10 years.

I think we need to build up basketball before we can have that discussion.

But it would take some big time donors to make it happen.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I know there have been other threads on this. I know some people hate the idea. But the landscape for college sports in North Dakota has changed since the last hockey conversation.

Now that UND is going to be in the Summit and MVFC, we've no longer got something that UND doesn't have, and that annoys me. In fact, we helped them achieve those league memberships. So, there should be absolutely no reason why UND would oppose NDSU starting D-1 hockey. We could join the WCHA in 5 minutes and be competitive. Scheels would be perhaps the nicest arena in the league. It would sell out every game.

Of course, any change in athletics would have to be gender neutral, so that means a women's team (most leagues require that anyway for membership). In our budget climate, such a move would also have to be revenue neutral or better. That's the kicker...when I look at hockey programs at schools our size, hockey is a money-maker (and that includes calculating for the net loss of revenue with women's hockey). For example, at St. Cloud State, net expenses for men's and women's hockey combined in 2016 was $3.28 million; net revenue was $3.76 million. At Minnesota-Duluth, they were about $1 million in the black.

If there is a plan at NDSU to go FBS, then I would understand not being distracted by hockey. But with an arena already in place and a potentially very large fan base for D-1 hockey in F-M, I'm at a loss for why we would not consider this.
    We have serious budget issues to resolve prior to considering any new sports.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Dr. Phil Johnson was on with Jack Michaels a few months ago and said that NDSU was very close to pulling the trigger back when the decision to go D1 was made. He made it sound like everything was basically a done deal as far as funding. Obviously a lot has changed but Dr. Johnson is pretty plugged into the hockey community, it'd br interesting to find out what happened.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

It was hockey or d1 I think the decision played out very well!
    TRUST THE PROCESS

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    We have serious budget issues to resolve prior to considering any new sports.
    But I'd bet it would be revenue neutral at worst. Probably make a profit.

Look, I'm an NDSU basketball and football fan in that order. The order will switch to football then basketball if we ever go FBS someday, because I love college football at the highest level. But I'd be a season ticket holder for hockey as well if we had it. I'll bet there's a lot of money and interest from the Fargo-Moorhead community that would flow to NDSU hockey and therefore further drive interest in NDSU generally.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    But I'd bet it would be revenue neutral at worst. Probably make a profit.

Look, I'm an NDSU basketball and football fan in that order. The order will switch to football then basketball if we ever go FBS someday, because I love college football at the highest level. But I'd be a season ticket holder for hockey as well if we had it. I'll bet there's a lot of money and interest from the Fargo-Moorhead community that would flow to NDSU hockey and therefore further drive interest in NDSU generally.
    Personally, I am not convinced of that. There are already people saying they will not continue basketball tickets because of limited resources. So I think some of the hockey crowd may shift from supporting another sport to supporting hockey.

And most people who I know in the area who like hockey, support the Sioux. Some also support NDSU football. But the people I know would stay with Sioux hockey.

Regardless, I see no compelling reason for NDSU to add sports in this climate.

Plus being in the wcha is pointless, if you want to help your chances you'd need to be in NCHC with UND.

That said against this. I think the hockey arena attached to the dome was a last gasp for hockey at NDSU. One thing NDSU doesn't do is try to be like UND. I'd rather see them add swimming or tennis or lacrosse if that ever becomes a possibility. These are sponsored by the summit already and would be slightly easier add.

That said don't have the budget to do this without significantly impacting another program for a few years and has the possibility of blowing up in your face if you don't do well within say 7 years...

Let UND have the hockey it suits them.
    Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.