Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
I believe you meant, Women's Hockey is a financial drain. Consider this, if NDSU football goes FBS, we will have ZERO sports on campus capable of winning a national championship. Let me repeat, NDSU will no longer be able to win a national Championship. That's a tough pill to swallow for an institution and alumni base that is accustomed to it. For that reason alone I hope we look at Hockey someday.

Football at FBS: Boise State type status which would be awesome.
M&W Basketball: Ceiling is probably a Sweet 16
Softball: Ceilling is probably a Super Regional but since we have done that perhaps a College World Series
Wrestling is the one sport where we are likely to see an individual national championship.

Rest of the Olympics? Very unlikely

Lastly, imagine the epic anguish and butthurt from GF if NDSU ever made it to a Frozen Four in a year when UND didn't.
I think it needs to be kept in mind how long it would take to be competitive in hockey in the NCHC. It's a BIG jump in level of play from where they are now. And that's IF the NCHC would take them, as they already shoot down WCHA teams that are jumping off that sinking ship (WCHA will likely dissolve in the near future). If they didn't go NCHC, where would they go to? No one is going to add a program from North Dakota if there aren't other teams nearby to play and college hockey is, as you know, a super niche sport.

That's a lot of huge ifs to address.