Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Athletics Budget Cuts

Default Re: Athletics Budget Cuts

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Whats the difference between being fully funded and not from last year?
    I don't know. I thought FCOA started in 2016, and hence, why I wanted to see how much difference there was between 2015 and 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

I'm not worried at all. Back in 2010-11-12 we did just fine with a budget that was like 5 or 6 million dollars less with crappier facilities. Last year we had to work out in a grocery store and practiced in a warehouse in an industrial park.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I'm not worried at all. Back in 2010-11-12 we did just fine with a budget that was like 5 or 6 million dollars less with crappier facilities. Last year we had to work out in a grocery store and practiced in a warehouse in an industrial park.
    I agree. As I previously stated, making a $400,000 cut won't be too difficult. NDSU is known for doing more with less.
    Hail the BISON!!!

I really wish Kolpack had Tran help him out with the numbers in his articles. Tran is really good at making facts and figures clear, while Kolpack frankly sucks at it.

Example from the most recent article about the budget cuts:

NDSU reportedly used $2.1M of state money for the athletic department. And that's going to get cut 40%(even though the overall cut to state aid is expected to be more like 10-20%). That's okay, it's better for the athletic department to take a bigger % hit than the academic departments if possible. So 40% of that $2.1M works out to be about $800k(actually $840k, but there is probably some rounding going on on both ends). But since the state money is based on biennial numbers, it actually means the cut is $400k per year.

That's all hunky-dory, but Kolpack also gives a total athletic budget of $22.03M this year. The problem is that he compares it(in the same sentence) to the $2.1M from the state. That's apples to oranges. The $22.03M is an annual figure; the $2.1M is a biennial figure. You can't compare the two directly. You either need to use $22.03M(2016) versus $1.05M(2016) or $44.3M(2015 + 2016) versus $2.1M(2015 + 2016).

In any case, the actual cut to the athletics department appears to be $400k out of $22.03M(-1.8%). And that was more than made up for by the big surge in Team Makers donations(additional seat fees).

The question I have now is in regards to the $1.3M UND is cutting from their athletic department. Is that $1.3M per year or $1.3M over two years. I suspect it's the former, but who the hell knows with these sportswriters trying to write articles about money?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I don't know. I thought FCOA started in 2016, and hence, why I wanted to see how much difference there was between 2015 and 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think the budget actually went down a tish. NDSU reported a budget of $22.3M for 2015. According to Kolpack's latest article, the 2016 budget was $22.03M. So a drop of around a quarter mil(~1%).

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    The question I have now is in regards to the $1.3M UND is cutting from their athletic department. Is that $1.3M per year or $1.3M over two years. I suspect it's the former, but who the hell knows with these sportswriters trying to write articles about money?
    This is my question exactly. Is it $400k or $800k to the $1.3M? There’s plenty of smoke so it’s hard to tell. Since cuts are across the board, the ratio would reflect the difference in subsidies, I would assume.

I think the budget actually went down a tish. NDSU reported a budget of $22.3M for 2015. According to Kolpack's latest article, the 2016 budget was $22.03M. So a drop of around a quarter mil(~1%).
    They didn't have to rent a hockey arena for basketball, a grocery store for a weight room, or warehouses for basketball practice. Plus we get more revenue because at the Shac, we keep the food/vendor profits

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

I really wish Kolpack had Tran help him out with the numbers in his articles. Tran is really good at making facts and figures clear, while Kolpack frankly sucks at it.

Example from the most recent article about the budget cuts:

NDSU reportedly used $2.1M of state money for the athletic department. And that's going to get cut 40%(even though the overall cut to state aid is expected to be more like 10-20%). That's okay, it's better for the athletic department to take a bigger % hit than the academic departments if possible. So 40% of that $2.1M works out to be about $800k(actually $840k, but there is probably some rounding going on on both ends). But since the state money is based on biennial numbers, it actually means the cut is $400k per year.

That's all hunky-dory, but Kolpack also gives a total athletic budget of $22.03M this year. The problem is that he compares it(in the same sentence) to the $2.1M from the state. That's apples to oranges. The $22.03M is an annual figure; the $2.1M is a biennial figure. You can't compare the two directly. You either need to use $22.03M(2016) versus $1.05M(2016) or $44.3M(2015 + 2016) versus $2.1M(2015 + 2016).

In any case, the actual cut to the athletics department appears to be $400k out of $22.03M(-1.8%). And that was more than made up for by the big surge in Team Makers donations(additional seat fees).

Looks like he corrected himself with the newest post on their webpage. It will be $400,000 each year for the next two years.

Not sure why people had to make this more confusing or a bigger story than it really is. We (USAW) have a budget about half the size of NDSU's Athletic Department and faced much bigger cuts than $400,000/year for various reasons. Amazingly the World didn't fall apart when we made a few sacrifices here and there.

Numbers may or may not lie, but they sure can be manipulated to fit one's argument.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    They didn't have to rent a hockey arena for basketball, a grocery store for a weight room, or warehouses for basketball practice. Plus we get more revenue because at the Shac, we keep the food/vendor profits

How is that structured. Are the spaces leased out at a flat rate? Are they leased with a percentage of sales?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    [/B]

How is that structured. Are the spaces leased out at a flat rate? Are they leased with a percentage of sales?

I'd guess they're leased out on a flat rate except Scheels arena probably had some kickback rider depending on tickets sold possibly but not necessarily, as they would have gotten that thru parking and concessions revenue.