Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Western Illinois 2/18

Default Re: Western Illinois 2/18

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Hopefully a good consequence of UND joining the Summit League and getting back to an even number of teams is we can get back to the Thursday/Saturday rotation for league games where each team either has two home games or two road games on Thursday/Saturday each week. I think that would help season ticket holders accommodate the schedule better rather than having some league games Wednesday, some Thursday, and some Saturday and sometimes splitting a home game with a road game within the same week.
    There will never be a Thursday Saturday rotation for the Summit unfortunately. The league scheduling is completely contingent on the Summit league's contract with ESPN(3). Summit could probably not extend their coverage with ESPN and have control over the rotation but no way in hell would it be dumb enough to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    There will never be a Thursday Saturday rotation for the Summit unfortunately. The league scheduling is completely contingent on the Summit league's contract with ESPN(3). Summit could probably not extend their coverage with ESPN and have control over the rotation but no way in hell would it be dumb enough to do that.
    The league is moving back to a Thursday-Saturday rotation, Kolpack said that when UND was added. I guess USD's beat writer also said...

Jeremy Hoeck
    ‏@jhoeck

Summit League commish Tom Douple: Goal is to have Thursday/Saturday schedules for hoops. Travel partners, as expected: UND/NDSU, USD/SDSU
    https://twitter.com/jhoeck/status/824708088070606848
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Life can sure get in the way. I think what bothers most is that the really nice seats are purchased by business (not all seats) and if the primary company person can not make the game you should or could find an employee or customer of the business to use the tickets. It is a great place to watch basketball. Next year the crowd will be even better.
    My biggest peeve with the scheduling the past 3 years... I always conceded once my kids got to school the weeknight probably wouldn't work most of the time for us except during Christmas holiday or other holidays that happen to hit. Which is why I wish there was some way to do a say flex 5 or 10 ticket package in one buy instead of having to pay $4.50(!?!) each ticket you buy single game for.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Hopefully a good consequence of UND joining the Summit League and getting back to an even number of teams is we can get back to the Thursday/Saturday rotation for league games where each team either has two home games or two road games on Thursday/Saturday each week. I think that would help season ticket holders accommodate the schedule better rather than having some league games Wednesday, some Thursday, and some Saturday and sometimes splitting a home game with a road game within the same week.
    This seems to be a possibility... but not set in stone by any means. Appears to be paraphrased from Matt Larsen statement and not Kolpack/Izzo/et al speculating
    http://www.inforum.com/sports/420519...n-number-teams

What does ESPN3 care when we play our games? These ESPN3 games are not on a "set" schedule necessarily, plus see the article I posted above it mentions makes scheduling more consistent... read between the lines means going back to the way it was when NDSU/SDSU first joined and it was Thurs/Sat. This makes too much sense with 10 team league for them not to go back to that. Whatever they do it just needs to be consistent imo. Not saying it has to be Thurs/Sat or else. But would think almost need to have one game on a weekend day as that draws the most viewers and the most fans.

NDSU student beat me to the punch while I was trying to find the Kolpack article that I knew existed on it. I'm almost certain in 2018-2019 we'll see Thurs - Sat games again. Also wonder if some of the M/W doubleheaders (or at least back to back) will make it back into the schedule as seems everyone keeps trying to hang on to them (NDSU had 2 this year).

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    My biggest peeve with the scheduling the past 3 years... I always conceded once my kids got to school the weeknight probably wouldn't work most of the time for us except during Christmas holiday or other holidays that happen to hit. Which is why I wish there was some way to do a say flex 5 or 10 ticket package in one buy instead of having to pay $4.50(!?!) each ticket you buy single game for.
    I don't understand those fees. Same issue with the Fargodome. You go to the ticket office and somebody there goes to the same website and gets your seats and prints your tickets and you just pay face value. I know damned well it costs them more money if I go to the ticket office, so why does it cost me less? A 30% up-charge for the privilege of buying online is ridiculous. I try to go to the ticket office, unfortunately for most events it's just not possible anymore.

/rant

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    The league is moving back to a Thursday-Saturday rotation, Kolpack said that when UND was added. I guess USD's beat writer also said...

https://twitter.com/jhoeck/status/824708088070606848
    I'll believe that when I see it.

I also don't agree that that rotation is going to help get significantly more fans to the game. People will find another excuse to not go.

ESPN has no say in that. The league (and teams) produce(s) all their own games and we don't get a penny from ESPN. This ain't the MAC or a TV deal at all.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Ya'll right I can't find a monetary contract between the leagues anywhere. Bad assumption on my part when I initially read the article on the Summit league website. I still think the school is what it is in basketball and that's ok. I don't see why a Thursday Saturday set schedule would help. It isn't like the games are splattered randomly all across the week as it is now anyways.

I'll believe that when I see it.

I also don't agree that that rotation is going to help get significantly more fans to the game. People will find another excuse to not go.
    I totally disagree. With consistency of the night being played it makes it significantly easier to plan around games. Plus with kids, I know that if I make the drive to Fargo on a Thursday night I only have to get them through one day of school, the hangover doesn't last half of the week. As a rural season ticket holder this would get me to significantly more home games during the week.

I don't believe people are simply "looking for excuses not to go", I think the schedule has made it a damn challenge. The level of play in the summit is improving, our environment is improving, we have what looks like a very bright future with the underclassmen on this team and our committed recruits. IMO, the big remaining cog to improve is the non-conference home schedule. I don't particularly buy into some of the scheduling excuses when I see the quality opponents coming into some of our neighbors venues. Getting people hooked early in the year will certainly help with boosting attendance early in league play. We have the fanbase and community to support basketball at a near sellout rate every home game.

I gotta think they will definitely go back to a set Thursday/Saturday rotation. It makes too much sense not to when you consider 2 teams like IUPUI and IPFW can fly into Fargo and bus to GF's for games on Thurs/Sat. Cuts down on travel expenses. ESPN3 doesn't care when the games are on as it's streaming content. Problem will be getting times worked out for networks like Midco who will want to air multiple games.

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    Incorrect pl there simply is not a demand isssue plenty of supply.... which in and of itself is a said date of affairs... the basketball team has been more successful then anyone would have ever predicted since the move up a short what 10 years ago
    Didnt I say that?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."