Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liberty to FBS Indy

Default Re: Liberty to FBS Indy

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Montana is the program we should watch. Because at the end of the day we are still a school with an enrollment comparable to St Cloud State University in the middle of nowhere.
    Agree with this. That is a legit peer NDSU needs to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Montana is the program we should watch. Because at the end of the day we are still a school with an enrollment comparable to St Cloud State University in the middle of nowhere.
    Ha! Well if that’s the case we’ll probably never move up. Just kidding. I have no idea, really.

UM is a good program. I’d say there are some similarities, but NDSU’s research profile is definitely well above UM (they’re more like UN_).

I disagree with the 'middle of nowhere' … a shade over 3 h to MSP, at least if I’m driving and not my wife. Now Grand Forks – that’s the middle of nowhere. I differ from most on this board in that I think the FBS market is probably there for NDSU, primarily in the cities, MN, WI, NE with the potential for a national following. We just don't have the means right now.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Ha! Well if that’s the case we’ll probably never move up. Just kidding. I have no idea, really.

UM is a good program. I’d say there are some similarities, but NDSU’s research profile is definitely well above UM (they’re more like UN_).

I disagree with the 'middle of nowhere' … a shade over 3 h to MSP, at least if I’m driving and not my wife. Now Grand Forks – that’s the middle of nowhere. I differ from most on this board in that I think the FBS market is probably there for NDSU, primarily in the cities, MN, WI, NE with the potential for a national following. We just don't have the means right now.
    I agree with your disagreeing. Just look at where many of the Big 12 schools are located. Like Fargo, they're pretty difficult to get to as they too are somewhat in a "rural" location. Heck, Iowa City doesn't even have its own airport.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I agree with your disagreeing. Just look at where many of the Big 12 schools are located. Like Fargo, they're pretty difficult to get to as they too are somewhat in a "rural" location. Heck, Iowa City doesn't even have its own airport.
    Iowa might be a farm state, but it has a population well over 3 million.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    He hasnt even called craig thompson of the mountain west. we'd be 7th in attendence and wouldnt they rather have a full house at 20k instead of 20k in a 40k stadium looking half empty?
    You really think the MW cares about adding NDSU to their conference? I've spoken to them and they're a delusional bunch (you would fit in).

Here's how my conversation went last Summer during the Sports Corp Football Luncheon:

After my boss introduced me and told them I was a NDSU Alum and that we had a steak-dinner bet on the upcoming Iowa game. Their reaction to my belief that the Bison were indeed going to walk into Iowa City and come away with a victory:

Their compliance officer promised to "shake my hand" if such a silly outcome were to happen. Oddly, they didn't show up at the next luncheon.

Not to be outdone, I pressed their whole staff at the table about how they and the other G5 conferences were getting screwed over by P5 in regards to television money and that it was only going to get worse. Their reaction:

To them, they were just as important as the P5 and would prove it by "beating them on the field."

Sorry, but the G5 has their heads so far stuck up their arses that they lack the ability to see what's coming down the pipeline. In the meantime, the P5 will milked them for what they're worth and continue to keep more and more of the television revenue to themselves. This will force the G5 schools to continue to bleed money as they try to keep up with P5 schools.

The arms-race has been over for years. The P5 schools won, but G5 schools refuse to accept reality. When they do and separate (G5 has to do it, not the P5), then they can create their own National Championship and start adding more schools.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    The reality of all this is it is so difficult to know what NDSU should do.

On one had, it is completely legitimate to point out that the teams moving up are probably the ones making the mistake. And the reality is, P5 fans don't even know who G5 teams are outside of a very few. They are not treated that much better than FCS teams.

On the other, it is extremely concerning when well funded programs leave the division.

I just wish the P5 would make a move to help make NDSU's path more clear. The only thing I no for certain is the people who think this decision making is easy are the unwise ones.
    Keep in mind, it's not the P5 that needs to make a move, it's the G5. The P5 has all they need and want with the current atmosphere of college football and basketball. The G5 needs to learn that they are more FCS than P5 and need to create their own division.
    Hail the BISON!!!

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post

I disagree with the 'middle of nowhere' … a shade over 3 h to MSP, at least if I’m driving and not my wife. Now Grand Forks – that’s the middle of nowhere.
    NDSU has the same basic research classification as UND and UM.

Interesting how 230 miles isn't the middle of nowhere but somehow an extra 70 miles is just too far.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post

Interesting how 230 miles isn't the middle of nowhere but somehow an extra 70 miles is just too far.
    But yet, how many UND students move to Fargo after graduation? How about yourself? And the reason why? Perhaps Grand Forks is too far out of nowhere compare to Fargo, that it can't attract enough business.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post

'Far' is a state of mind, my friend. And GF is literally worlds away from Fargo - I'd live in one of these cities but not the other.

The research classification you refer to is extremely coarse. True, NDSU is no longer classified as 'very high', just 'high', same as UM and UN_. This is due to several things, most notably the loss of earmarks.

However, within this category there is a very large variation - I was using competitive grants and publications in 2015 as a measure. UN_ looks about the same - perhaps slightly better - than USD and SDSU. NDSU is comfortably above this. I believe this has much to do with the relative size and diversity of Fargo, as compared to GF or the other Dakota U hometowns. It's easier to get smart people to move to Fargo, than, say GF.

Quote Originally Posted by acf2 View Post
    Iowa might be a farm state, but it has a population well over 3 million.
    Iowa has a population of 3M and supports 2 FBS and 1 FCS teams (ok, 1.5 FBS teams). The combined population of WI, MN and the Dakotas is roughly 13M. Using Iowa as a gauge and based just on population, the agglomerate of these 4 states could in theory support 4 FCS teams and well more than 2 FBS teams. This needs to be adjusted because Iowa borders more populous states like Illinois and Missouri, but there is easily room for one more FBS team in the wider 4-state region.