Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Courtney Messingham

DIBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Courtney Messingham

Great hire for Bison football. He has a lot of offensive experience, from position coaching to OC responsibilities. I noticed that his recruiting assignment was Dallas/Ft. Worth. I wonder if the Bison will renew efforts in recruiting Texas or just reshuffle the staff assignments for the current recruiting areas?

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedYellow View Post
    Apparently he runs a lot out of the shotgun and under center?
    This.

I was shocked to hear that CP is leaving, but perhaps more shocked by this hire.

Here is my 2 cents. I've heard Klieman say more than once that operating under center with a fullback is what NDSU does and will continue to do. It doesn't take a genius to learn pulling guard and fullback concepts. I think the bigger challenge is learning how to TEACH it the right way and that is where I think Connor Riley will be leaned on. Going forward, the biggest improvements that need to be made are with the game-flow for play calling and adjustments. Maybe that is where Messingham can bring an upgrade and I would guess that Klieman understands that too.

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    The biggest enemy of our offense is the passing game and trying to get too cute. Last year we ran too much shotgun and not enough play action on running downs. I'm also concerned this is the first year in forever that our TOP wasn't at the top of the stats sheet. However... looking at the end of the James Madison game... our passing game looked completely out of their comfort zone so an infusion of downfield passing could be a good thing. Of course had we tried to not get cute earlier in the game, we may not have been in that position.
    ..Went over and read a bit on their fan board.....one of their criticisms of Messingham was not running enough play action. Of course you have to remember that's just one arm chair QBs opion....just thought I'd throw it out there.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    I was shocked to hear that CP is leaving, but perhaps more shocked by this hire.

Here is my 2 cents. I've heard Klieman say more than once that operating under center with a fullback is what NDSU does and will continue to do. It doesn't take a genius to learn pulling guard and fullback concepts. I think the bigger challenge is learning how to TEACH it the right way and that is where I think Connor Riley will be leaned on. Going forward, the biggest improvements that need to be made are with the game-flow for play calling and adjustments. Maybe that is where Messingham can bring an upgrade and I would guess that Klieman understands that too.
    Play calling and adjustments are huge. I think this past season really opened my eyes to just how lucky we have had it with players like Wentz; who I honestly think saved our butts more often than we'd like with his play calling at the line. Some of the games this season were just really painful to watch with simply just the unwillingness to adapt and adjust to what just plain wasn't working.

Either way, this year will be fun.

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Heard the news about Messingham. Surely you guys know that he was one of the many failed OC's for Iowa State. At first, I was thinking that he might even have been OC for your game in Ames, but he was fired at the end of the preceding season. We didn't think much of Messingham. Of course, we didn't think much of Tom Hermann either (whom Messingham replaced). Hope he does well for you (except in the UNI games).
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    Heard the news about Messingham. Surely you guys know that he was one of the many failed OC's for Iowa State. At first, I was thinking that he might even have been OC for your game in Ames, but he was fired at the end of the preceding season. We didn't think much of Messingham. Of course, we didn't think much of Tom Hermann either (whom Messingham replaced). Hope he does well for you (except in the UNI games).
    Given the fact Iowa State just pretty much sucks at everything related to football... is there a coach you like? Mark Mangino was apparently some sort of guru... and he was disliked.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Given the fact the state of Iowa just pretty much sucks at everything related to football... is there a coach you like? Mark Mangino was apparently some sort of guru... and he was disliked.
    FIFY

10char

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Given the fact Iowa State just pretty much sucks at everything related to football... is there a coach you like? Mark Mangino was apparently some sort of guru... and he was disliked.

We are pretty high right now on Matt Campbell and OC Tom Manning who came from Toledo. They are amazing recruiters who got the best class ever last year, even though only being hired right after Thanksgiving (and an even better one this year, loaded with big o-linemen and d-lineman). And even with terrible losses on the o-line early last season, they pulled it together and were doing a decent job by the end of the season.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    They are amazing recruiters who got the best class ever last year.
    ~Every team's fans, every year.