Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Courtney Messingham

Default Re: Courtney Messingham

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Why do I feel like folks have already forgotten just how good Brock was that year? While he never had Carson's sheer ability, he was lights out that year. Still, the nicest deep ball I've ever seen from a Bison QB, Carson included.
    Brock was a senior and Easton just finished his sophomore year. I think Easton has more talent than Brock and still has two years left. Hopefully he can take another step up in his game and get us another title. Brock also had one of the best olines to give him time. To think he had Turner and haeg and Zach Johnson is ridiculous. We may never see a qb with the talent of Carson, he's in his own league

Quote Originally Posted by Bison20 View Post
    Brock was a senior and Easton just finished his sophomore year. I think Easton has more talent than Brock and still has two years left. Hopefully he can take another step up in his game and get us another title. Brock also had one of the best olines to give him time. To think he had Turner and haeg and Zach Johnson is ridiculous. We may never see a qb with the talent of Carson, he's in his own league
    In my mind, Brock was a better thrower and Easton is a better runner/athlete. I hope his throwing continues to progress. In my mind, the biggest area he needs to work on is timing; he always seems just a hair late on throws, but as you state, he was just a sophomore; he can get there.

Why do I feel like folks have already forgotten just how good Brock was that year? While he never had Carson's sheer ability, he was lights out that year. Still, the nicest deep ball I've ever seen from a Bison QB, Carson included.
    Because the negative Nancies like to remember the bad (especially Indiana State at home in 2012) than the good. Let's not forget that Brock does still hold the record for most QB victories the FCS.

Things Brock did better than anyone else:
    1) Fake drop-back pass to run up the middle.
    2) Deep pass, especially from the flea flicker. Ball had a nice touch. Easton had this going early in the season until he hurt his back, which I'm guessing was the Iowa game. Wentz's deep pass wasn't too bad either. Just had a little too much mustard on it early on.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Agreed; it was just that we were run first; when they needed to throw, they usually were able to. Only exception I can think of was 2014 UNI game. Brock and Carson were special.
    That exception I believe largely was due to an injured Wentz. He should have not been out there. I also remember an excessive number of runs up the gut doing nothing.

The other thing about last year was an overall lack of playmakers surrounding Easton. The loss of Zach Vraa hurt.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    We absolutely need both. A power west coast offense will not be very effective if we are lacking in either the rushing or passing game as we have witnessed in more then a few games. We have to be able to take what the defense is giving us.
    I couldn't agree more! When we have had a good yardage ratio of about 55% run 45% pass is when we have had the most offensive success. That is what we averaged in conference play from 2013-2015. Last season in conference play we gained 62% of our offense yards rushing and only 38% through the air. We were dead last in passing yards in Valley play!

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    That exception I believe largely was due to an injured Wentz. He should have not been out there. I also remember an excessive number of runs up the gut doing nothing.

The other thing about last year was an overall lack of playmakers surrounding Easton. The loss of Zach Vraa hurt.
    Agreed. 10 char

I agree. So...will we have more playmakers this year?

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    I agree. So...will we have more playmakers this year?
    If nobody improves or emerges, the answer is no. We currently do not have a single guy (not including running backs) who can consistently win 1 on 1 battles, go up and get the ball etc. Easton has to have perfect placement and timing on his balls.

If nobody improves or emerges, the answer is no. We currently do not have a single guy (not including running backs) who can consistently win 1 on 1 battles, go up and get the ball etc. Easton has to have perfect placement and timing on his balls.
    Legendowski can (http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sp...tball-20160912)

And so can Shepherd:

Hail the BISON!!!

Only partially agree. Loss of Vraa hurt, but he was 3rd leading receiver in 2015. I am quite sure both Shep and RJ had more receptions, yards receiving, and yards per catch in Zach's senior year.

Carson was extraordinary talent. Easton was a sophomore in his first full year as starting QB. That's the biggest difference.