Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Courtney Messingham

Default Re: Courtney Messingham

Quote Originally Posted by Grizaddict View Post
    Here's the skinny...

The year before last, the bobcats had a very potent offense run by Tim Cramsey (left for Nevada and now SHSUs new OC). They put up video game numbers with points and yards and were among the tops of all FCS. Enter new staff and new OC Messingham.

The offense was night and day difference. Became a slower tempo, control the clock, runs first type of O. The cats had a former four star quarterback transferred in from a junior college. He struggled mightily. With that, the offense struggle mightily as well and fans became very restless. Many in Bozeman pinned it on Messingham and wanted him gone. They switched over to a true freshman quarterback who is more of a running back and ran it a ton. That kid was often the fastest kid on the field. Their passing game basically became nonexistent and they just let that kid fly. Their game planning seemed better towards the end of the season but the jury is still out I would say on this OC
    Nothing you said concerns me. The last thing we need is a Big Sky offense. If Messingham is a slow tempo control the clock guy, that has me very excited.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here's the skinny...

The year before last, the bobcats had a very potent offense run by Tim Cramsey (left for Nevada and now SHSUs new OC). They put up video game numbers with points and yards and were among the tops of all FCS. Enter new staff and new OC Messingham.

The offense was night and day difference. Became a slower tempo, control the clock, runs first type of O. The cats had a former four star quarterback transferred in from a junior college. He struggled mightily. With that, the offense struggle mightily as well and fans became very restless. Many in Bozeman pinned it on Messingham and wanted him gone. They switched over to a true freshman quarterback who is more of a running back and ran it a ton. That kid was often the fastest kid on the field. Their passing game basically became nonexistent and they just let that kid fly. Their game planning seemed better towards the end of the season but the jury is still out I would say on this OC
    Montana State switching styles from high octane to power run football is going to rub people the wrong way no matter what. Kind of like how Bobs tits (bitch tits) made the switch in Montana. But I guess the way you described the offense seems similar to what we did in year #1 for Easton Stick. Just ran the QB all the time since he's a great athlete.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

A quick look at the Big Sky stats....

MSU was 11 of 13 in total offense
    MSU was 11 of 13 in scoring offense
    MSU was 12 of 13 in passing offense
    MSU was 3 of 13 in rushing offense

They had some issues around a two QB system but once they went with their speedster Freshman they game planned better and just let him run.

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Not saying this is good or bad, just a statement.

Looks like Messingham will be the first OC promoted without a little Bison experience and seasoning (aka, not from within) in 13 years (Tim Albin - 2004).

A quick look at the Big Sky stats....

MSU was 11 of 13 in total offense
    MSU was 11 of 13 in scoring offense
    MSU was 12 of 13 in passing offense
    MSU was 3 of 13 in rushing offense

They had some issues around a two QB system but once they went with their speedster Freshman they game planned better and just let him run.
    I don't think Klieman is going to have him reinvent the wheel. We have a formula that works. I'm curious if they had the had the right type of players to run that type of football. Montana State isn't known for good defense, power running o-lineman with fullbacks and TE's... especially after having a team full of spread type players. That was quite the change in philosophy

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    Needs more experience. He is still a young coach. I hope he is at NDSU for a long time.
    31 years old and in the system for awhile. He's plenty ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post

Apparently he was not the man for the job
    TRUST THE PROCESS

The trends these days are for younger coaches. I like a mix of both.

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    Apparently he was not the man for the job
    Apparently yes, but I'm arguing against those who say he's still too young. Guy actually has been coaching for quite awhile now. At the age of 31, he's only few years younger than what Tim Polasek was (34 I believe) when he got the OC job. Plus, Roehl has been in the NDSU system as a player and coach longer than Polasek was.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Apparently yes, but I'm arguing against those who say he's still too young. Guy actually has been coaching for quite awhile now. At the age of 31, he's only few years younger than what Tim Polasek was (34 I believe) when he got the OC job. Plus, Roehl has been in the NDSU system as a player and coach longer than Polasek was.
    We should not discriminate based on age. A 31 year of could very well be better at a job than a 50 year old. Experience matters to a point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk