Page 68 of 107 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Recruiting Updates

Default Re: 2018 Recruiting Updates

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    Such angst by several Bisonvillers over the Bison coaches wanting 1 grad transfer, or any transfer for that matter......
    1 scholarship player amongst 19+ scholly players to be signed this year (24ish??? total). If the coaching staff wants a transfer of any kind for next season’s national title contender..........

coughcoughAndreMartinJrcoughcough
    coughcoughBryanShepardcoughcough
    Bryan Shepherd was a THREE YEAR player dude. Cornerback is a position freshman play much faster. Dudzik played there as a freshman. Linebackers that start as freshman don't happen as often. Even Grant Olson didn't start until a junior. (Preston Evans started) Beck needed a redshirt year and then he started late in the year.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    Such angst by several Bisonvillers over the Bison coaches wanting 1 grad transfer, or any transfer for that matter......
    1 scholarship player amongst 19+ scholly players to be signed this year (24ish??? total). If the coaching staff wants a transfer of any kind for next season’s national title contender..........

coughcoughAndreMartinJrcoughcough
    coughcoughBryanShepardcoughcough

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Bryan Shepherd was a THREE YEAR player dude. Cornerback is a position freshman play much faster. Dudzik played there as a freshman. Linebackers that start as freshman don't happen as often. Even Grant Olson didn't start until a junior. (Preston Evans started) Beck needed a redshirt year and then he started late in the year.
    Let me break it apart for you (and others)

“Such angst by several Bisonvillers over the Bison coaches wanting 1 grad transfer”

Originally Posted by Herdbot

Even worse... 1 year of eligibility. If he was a juco I would have been more optimistic
    Andre Martin Jr was a grad transfer from UNI.
    ......With 1 year of eligibility

“or any transfer for that matter”

Bryan Shepherd transferred from Nebraska Omaha.
    I add his name to other transfers mentioned by you and others as examples of players who have contributed. King Frazier etc.
    Bryan Shepherd transferred up from D2, current Bison WR Cordell Pimienta is sitting out his transfer year. I assume he is a PWO, but he takes a roster spot up the “Only recruit true freshman crowd” might not like. Apparently the coaching staff felt differently.

Yes of course not every transfer contributes, just as not every true freshman ends up contributing.

“Such angst by several Bisonvillers”

Yes, not specifically aimed at you, but also the people who only want true freshman recruits.

“ If the coaching staff wants a transfer of any kind for next season’s national title contender..........”

Are you disputing the Coaching Staff and their ability to make a decision on bringing in a transfer???
    Yes, a transfer could be a starter, or provide experienced depth, could play on special teams, could be good locker room influence, could balance out class size etc etc.
    And I would ask the same of those who only want true freshman recruited.

People - we are only talking about 1 scholarship spot in the recruiting class. Scholarship spots are currently at 19 and going higher - i’ll guess 24ish, but I have not researched it. There is a big senior class, so will be a big recruiting class.
    Last edited by bruinbison; 12-23-2017 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    Let me break it apart for you (and others)

“Such angst by several Bisonvillers over the Bison coaches wanting 1 grad transfer”

Andre Martin Jr was a grad transfer from UNI.
    ......With 1 year of eligibility

“or any transfer for that matter”

Bryan Shepherd transferred from Nebraska Omaha.
    I add his name to other transfers mentioned by you and others as examples of players who have contributed. King Frazier etc.

Yes of course not every transfer contributes, just as not every true freshman ends up contributing.

“Such angst by several Bisonvillers”

Yes, not specifically aimed at you, but also the people who only want true freshman recruits.

“ If the coaching staff wants a transfer of any kind for next season’s national title contender..........”

Are you disputing the Coaching Staff and their ability to make a decision on bringing in a transfer???
    Yes, could be a starter, or provide experienced depth, could play on special teams, coul be good locker room influence etc.
    And I would ask the same of those who only want true freshman recruited.

People - we are only talking about 1 scholarship spot in the recruiting class. Scholarship spots are currently at 19 and going higher - i’ll guess 24ish, but I have not researched it. There is a big senior class, so will be a big recruiting class.
    No angst at all. I just don't think a 1 year grad transfer , unless you're talking a Randy Moss type receiver, a ridiculously talented corner, or a 6-7 DE with Greg Menard speed, a 6-6 320 lb DT with Tanguey type speed would have much of an impact on our team for a whopping year. Now if you are talking 2 or 3 years maybe.

The dudes probably a great player but I don't care about signing 1 year transfers. I'm not pissed at all and I would have been glad we got him for depth I'm just not sad like some of you guys. I like to see high school players develop into NFL talent or get 3 year players like Shepherd and King Frazier

I would much rather spend the scholarship on another cornerback or two. Maybe a scholarship linebacker

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

No angst at all. I just don't think a 1 year grad transfer , unless you're talking a Randy Moss type receiver, a ridiculously talented corner, or a 6-7 DE with Greg Menard speed, would have much of an impact on our team for a whopping year. Now if you arev2 or 3 years maybe.

The dudes probably a great player but I don't care about signing 1 year transfers. I'm not pissed at all. I like to see high school players develop into NFL talent
    How would Tre being here 1 year have taken any development away from another player???

And its already been pointed out Andre Martin from UNI was a big piece in the Secondary for a Championship..

KTF is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Only reaon Shepard transferred to NDSU was because UN-Omaha shut down their football program when they went D-1...

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybooboo View Post
    How would Tre being here 1 year have taken any development away from another player???

And its already been pointed out Andre Martin from UNI was a big piece in the Secondary for a Championship..
    Assuming he would have been at middle linebacker, Marlette is the starter and looked like a beast. How do the young backups get 1st team reps so they can start in 2019?

Andre Martin was a great fit. We had a need and corner is an easier spot to learn quickly. Klieman was his position coach too at UNI.

But I'm not going to use Andre Martin as some mother of all examples of why a grad transfer will work at the QB of the defense.... Middle linebacker!

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Assuming he would have been at middle linebacker, Marlette is the starter and looked like a beast. How do the young backups get 1st team reps so they can start in 2019?
    rotation, is Menard coming back going to hurt the development of the younger players?? Hes taking a spot next year? Deluca did it this year..did he hurt the development of anyone? Point is bringing in proven veteran kid with a good head on his shoulders coming from a very very similar Defense would not have harmed ANYONE, you think the coaches would bring in a player if it was detrimental to the program? He would have been valuable GOOD depth that we could have used this year

Andre Martin was a great fit. We had a need and corner is an easier spot to learn quickly. Klieman was his position coach too at UNI.

But I'm not going to use Andre Martin as some mother of all examples of why a grad transfer will work at the QB of the defense.... Middle linebacker!
    And how is marlette now, he did look great but then got injured. If this year showed us anything it's that you need depth all over. How many injured to our starters this year and we are still in the championship because of our depth. It's also important for special teams. An occasional transfer of that talent isn't a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybooboo View Post
    rotation, is Menard coming back going to hurt the development of the younger players?? Hes taking a spot next year? Deluca did it this year..did he hurt the development of anyone? Point is bringing in proven veteran kid with a good head on his shoulders coming from a very very similar Defense would not have harmed ANYONE, you think the coaches would bring in a player if it was detrimental to the program? He would have been valuable GOOD depth that we could have used this year
    Menard and DeLuca were already All American type starters and knew the defense like the backs of their hands! Some of our best players ever! When you recruit high school kids their best season is their last.

With a transfer you are lucky if they crack the lineup within mid season. We have numbers to back that up.

You don't really rotate middle linebackers...its the QB of the defense.

Everyone step away from the ledge. Merry Christmas ��
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.