Page 49 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Recruiting Updates

Default Re: 2018 Recruiting Updates

Sounds to me from the article that Fleck has already offered him a preferred walk on. A lot of this is probably going to depend on his family's financial situation. Let's say we offer him a full scholarship and all the FBS schools are only offering PWO. Then he has a big decision to make. How bad does he want to play in the FBS. Are he and his family willing too take on a ton of debt with a chance they may offer a scholarship later on. Lot of variables here !

Quote Originally Posted by Bison20 View Post
    Most times they would start as a pwo and get a scholarship within a year or two so probably wouldn't end up with 100,000 in debt. Be interesting to see if we can get him to verbal this weekend. Should be a great atmosphere for him. I think most schools that are p5 are worried about his size cause he looks like a beast
    I think it is a STRETCH to say that "most times" walk ons end up in scholarship. That can and does happen...but not a lot. Walk ons at the FBS level always have an up hill climb, as the head coach has to think, do I scholarship the walk on...or save that scholarship for the next recruiting class. Always trying to find the next stud. NDSU has it easier, as we offer partials. So walk ons can and do..slowly climb the scholarship ladder so to speak.

Montero is a tough recruit as he doesn't have all of the measurable. He isn't tall, had a poor 40 time, but on film the kid is a gamer. Tough kid. Everyone raves about his toughness, ability, durability. Etc. Will be interesting to see if he gets and offer, and what the expectations are of that offer. THe "early signing period" isn't necessarily that...it has become simply the new signing day. Kids that way, will be recruited over. If you aren't signing, you are keeping your options open, and therefore schools have to continue to try to fill. I hope this kid gets a partial and hopefully accepts. Cannot have enough tough kids. Minneapolis continues to be a real hot bed for NDSU recruiting.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

Interesting note this year with the "early signing period" is the fact that NDSU again has a full time Recruiting Coordinator. I believe we are still the only school that offers that position. Same with us having the full time nutritionist, QB Coach, we continue to be an FBS program with FCS scholarships. Hank Jacobs does a great job. He handles the tours, visits, etc...and allows our coaches to do their job. It is a big job, and this class has really grown together.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

These are all great points. NDSU can and does a lot considering the FCS label. With the amount of support given by alums and fans, I don’t see anything changing anytime soon and will probably get better.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    I think it is a STRETCH to say that "most times" walk ons end up in scholarship. That can and does happen...but not a lot. Walk ons at the FBS level always have an up hill climb, as the head coach has to think, do I scholarship the walk on...or save that scholarship for the next recruiting class. Always trying to find the next stud. NDSU has it easier, as we offer partials. So walk ons can and do..slowly climb the scholarship ladder so to speak.

Montero is a tough recruit as he doesn't have all of the measurable. He isn't tall, had a poor 40 time, but on film the kid is a gamer. Tough kid. Everyone raves about his toughness, ability, durability. Etc. Will be interesting to see if he gets and offer, and what the expectations are of that offer. THe "early signing period" isn't necessarily that...it has become simply the new signing day. Kids that way, will be recruited over. If you aren't signing, you are keeping your options open, and therefore schools have to continue to try to fill. I hope this kid gets a partial and hopefully accepts. Cannot have enough tough kids. Minneapolis continues to be a real hot bed for NDSU recruiting.
    The Brock Jensen intangible, you want the ball in this guy's hands with the game on the line?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

KTF is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    The Brock Jensen intangible, you want the ball in this guy's hands with the game on the line?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Or in this case, I want him and Jabril lined up as the W&S LB's with the game on the line...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post

FBS is way harder to earn a scholarship and retain walk on players. It's not like the FCS where you can offer someone a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or full ride with full cost of attendance. At the FBS it's all or nothing. If it's nothing than it's paying cash out of pocket or going into debt. I contend a partial scholarship at NDSU would be a safer bet than a walkon at an FBS school because you can at least get a partial and at in state rates. Walkons are a tough deal and many don't make it or never see the field. College level is so hard. The last player on the roster was probably the best player in their schools. That being said this kid can play.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

KTF is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

What is the "success" rate of earned scholarships for PWO at NDSU?

Jake Kava LB/TE out of Moorhead announced his commitment to the Bison tonight.

https://twitter.com/jkava8/status/941489229330309120

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3990651/jake-kava

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Jake Kava LB/TE out of Moorhead announced his commitment to the Bison tonight.

https://twitter.com/jkava8/status/941489229330309120

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3990651/jake-kava
    Had a D2 offer at Minnesota State Moorhead but he wanted to go NDSU all the way

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com