Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dakotas move away from Big Sky and towards Mid-Con

BisonBacker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Dakotas move away from Big Sky and towards Mid

Quote Originally Posted by Gil Dobie
    There will be a DI NCC before NDSU gets in the Big Sky.
    That's not going to happen! No way is Mankato, UMD, UNO,UND or SCSU going to make that jump. There's a laundry list or reasons it won't happen, here's just a few. SCSU, Mankato and UMD's proximity to Minneapolis and the gophers. Financially none of the schools can make the jump for financial reasons. Most of the schools don't want to make the move!

MN_BISONS Guest

There will be a DI NCC before NDSU gets in the Big Sky.
    So you're telling me that NDSU will never get in the Big Sky?

Bisonguy...you have convinced me, I switch my position to supporting the move to the Mid-Con.

As for the WAC option which is still a bit far-fetched. I think NDSU could compete in WAC for football but then there would be no playoffs and no national championship. I'd rather have DI-AA playoffs and possible NCs than a not so meaningful DI-A conference championship.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

My preference has been and will continue to be the Big Sky, but I also realize that we have some great leadership at NDSU and if Chapman and Taylor think it needs to be something else right now....I trust thier judgement. They are the ones in the know and they are the ones that can best make this decision and set the strategy for getting conference affiliation. They have yet to steer NDSU wrong.

BisonMav Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MN_BISON

So you're telling me that NDSU will never get in the Big Sky? *
    I never say never my friend. It is looking like some behind the scenes stuff is going on right now. If the NCC teams joined the Great West, the Big Sky may just stay pat. As discussed many times before, SAC St and/or Portland St etc, leaving, could change that. I don't think UMD or Auggie will move, the other NCC schools are all possible now that St Cloud has announced looking into DI.

BisonBacker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I never say never my friend. *It is looking like some behind the scenes stuff is going on right now. *If the NCC teams joined the Great West, the Big Sky may just stay pat. *As discussed many times before, SAC St and/or Portland St etc, leaving, could change that. *I don't think UMD or Auggie will move, the other NCC schools are all possible now that St Cloud has announced looking into DI. *
    I'm just wondering what makes you think they are all going to go DI other then the article that is no longer on the website you posted? I just don't see it happening and you seem convinced it will, just wondering why? If for no other reason I know that Mankato, UMD, UND would all struggle financially at best. I'm not posting smack, just stating the obvious, look at UND right now. Trying to get the rules changed to allow only certain sports to move since the financial commitment it would take to fund all sports at the DI level isn't going to happen for them it appears how would SCSU, Mankato, UMD and the rest do it? Just curious :-/

Quote Originally Posted by WYOBISONMAN
    My preference has been and will continue to be the Big Sky, but I also realize that we have some great leadership at NDSU and if Chapman and Taylor think it needs to be something else right now....I trust thier judgement. *They are the ones in the know and they are the ones that can best make this decision and set the strategy for getting conference affiliation. *They have yet to steer NDSU wrong.
    Times are a changing :

author=WYOBISONMAN date=Dec 16th, 2003, 12:36pm

The MidCon is SHIT....total SHIT!

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy
    NDSU, nor it's fans, should never have put all their eggs in the Big Sky basket.

Face it, Bison fans, the Big Sky is a d*ck-tease. She'll rub you the right way, but when it comes time to put out or shut up, she just makes excuses and says "maybe next time".

So let's look at this objectively-

1) Number of time zones (correlates to ease of scheduling and better for student-athletes)- Advantage: Mid-Con

2) Ease of travel (and probably cost) Advantage: Mid-Con

3) Sponsors more of NDSU's(SDSU as well) current offering of sports- Advantage: Mid-Con

4) Better BB conference (which could be big for NDSU revenue)-Advantage: Mid-Con

5) Geographic area in NDSU's current recruiting area- Advantage: Mid-Con

6)Better name recognition and possible football rivalries- Advantage: Big Sky

The only reason any Mid-con fans might not want NDSU in is probably due to them reading this message board. *:-/ *If another two teams could be added to the GWFC, I would prefer that along with the Mid-Con over the Big Sky. As it currently stands, I prefer whichever option gives NDSU a conference home first.
    and a changin' : :

Bisonguy Dec 15th, 2003, 7:01pm

The MidCon sucks, but any conference is better than no conference.

And snow sucks, especially when your !@#$%@# snowblower won't start.

DIBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

But the fact remains, NDSU is DIVISION I.

Really , Really changin' :
    Gil Dobie Dec 15th, 2003, 6:48pm

It is a bad conference, but you have to start somewhere. If NDSU does not get in a conference, it is a 13 year wait to be eligible. If NDSU is in a conference, and the NCAA changes the rules to five years if a team is in an established conference, better Mid-Con than none. What is the alternative?
    Wonder why?

NorthDakotaBison Dec 15th, 2003, 6:49pm

I don't think this is the kind of national exposure Chapman was talking about when began speaking about stepping it up a level.