Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dakotas move away from Big Sky and towards Mid-Con

JBB Guest

Default Re: Dakotas move away from Big Sky and towards Mid

The BSC has appeal because of football and the auto bid. The GWFC is a better FB conference but doesnt have the auto bid. The BSC cant realign because if it breaks up it will lose the auto bid. That will keep the tail wagging the dog there.

The Mid Con has always been my favorite for BB. It travels to great cities, many easily accessable to NDSU fans. It has an auto bid and may need members. Listening to the chatter on their board a while back it was obvious that many if not most of their fans are opposed to the addition of the Dakotas. I hope it works out for us. If not back to the drawing board.

In the end NorthDakotaBison may be right and we may be in the WAC. Not a bad idea at that.

If the WAC comes calling to IAA schools, I think that the Montana schools and Idaho State would be obvious additions. If those schools were to go to the WAC, the Big Sky becomes very unappealing for the SU's. Someday I definitely see us in the WAC, but it's way too early for us to make that jump now.

We need a conference, period. If we join the Mid Con and the Big Sky comes calling, we can always switch. That being said, if we stay with the Great West we need to find (at least) a sixth team.

kchats Guest

I agree. Mid-Con, WAC, Big Sky, Horizon League, Missouri Valley, Mountain West, Great West Football conference I don't care as long as we get admitted into a conference. If we have to move football up a level again to do it I say go right ahead.

IowaBison Guest

I'm not saying I see (or want) the Bison in the WAC, but there could be a significant shakeup coming in the next six months that might lead to the Bison having a home in a western conference.

That being said, if the Bison join the WAC, I'll double my teammakers contribution. (No one tell my wife )

Jeffdaryl3rd Guest

I think that if NDSU gets a chance to join the WAC it should grab it with both hands. The question that I had was whether NDSU would be able to compete at the 1-A level in football (there is no 1-AA in other sports, so it really makes less of a difference), so I did a little poking around. Here are the current national rankings for the teams that would be left in the conference in NorthDakotaBison's scenario.
    Nevada--33, Hawaii--83, San Jose State--104, Utah State--105, Idaho--110, New Mexico State--118
    Now I'm not sure how legit these rankings are, and Hawaii is usually a little more competitive than these rankings indicate, but I think that based on this NDSU at least would not be overwhelmed in the WAC.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/c..._rankings.html

Quote Originally Posted by JBB
    The BSC has appeal because of football and the auto bid. *The GWFC is a better FB conference but doesnt have the auto bid. *The BSC cant realign because if it breaks up it will lose the auto bid. *That will keep the tail wagging the dog there.

The Mid Con has always been my favorite for BB. *It travels to great cities, many easily accessable to NDSU fans. *It has an auto bid and may need members. *Listening to the chatter on their board a while back it was obvious that many if not most of their fans are opposed to the addition of the Dakotas. *I hope it works out for us. *If not back to the drawing board.

In the end NorthDakotaBison may be right and we may be in the WAC. *Not a bad idea at that.
    JBB....was the chatter on the Mid-Con board in opposition to NDSU joining? Do you have a link to that one? It might be fun to read that......

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent
    I guess the Mid Con is better then no conference at all but I still don't think we have heard the last from the Big Sky. If the Mid Con is really this serious I bet they take one last stab at expanding in the Dakotas because once we are in the Mid Con we will not leave for the Big Sky. Being in the Mid Con does have an advantage and that is we will have a chance to possibly work our way into the Missouri Valley(I think UNI took the same path) and the MVC would be a perfect fit for NDSU athletics.

Also if we really get into the Mid Con I think we should look strongly at trying to get into the Gateway Football conference, no offense to the Great West schools but I would like to see NDSU in a conference were we could establish some regional rivalries.
    Be assured we will hear from the Big Sky again that is a certainty. The real question is how many times do we stand at the altar and get dissed. I really think the best scenario for the State U's is to get into the Mid-Cont and satisfy a conference for all remaining sports and then be ready to jump into the Gateway for football when the opportunity presents itself. Long term the Missouri Valley should be the goal. I really don't think Montana is long for the Big Sky and if they depart how many on this board are still excited about the Big Sky?

BisonBacker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm just saying that continually knocking at the door of the Big Sky when they have made it clear they are not interested seems like we are begging to be let in and I don't think we should do that. Now if something was to change in the conference that would make it change the outlook of BSC members then fine, it's worth looking at again. I just haven't seen that happen. If and when it does fine go talk to them but until them they can take the conference with the West Coast Snobs and stuff it.

BisonMav Guest

There will be a DI NCC before NDSU gets in the Big Sky.

NDSU, nor it's fans, should never have put all their eggs in the Big Sky basket.

Face it, Bison fans, the Big Sky is a d*ck-tease. She'll rub you the right way, but when it comes time to put out or shut up, she just makes excuses and says "maybe next time".

So let's look at this objectively-

1) Number of time zones (correlates to ease of scheduling and better for student-athletes)- Advantage: Mid-Con

2) Ease of travel (and probably cost) Advantage: Mid-Con

3) Sponsors more of NDSU's(SDSU as well) current offering of sports- Advantage: Mid-Con

4) Better BB conference (which could be big for NDSU revenue)-Advantage: Mid-Con

5) Geographic area in NDSU's current recruiting area- Advantage: Mid-Con

6)Better name recognition and possible football rivalries- Advantage: Big Sky

The only reason any Mid-con fans might not want NDSU in is probably due to them reading this message board. :-/ If another two teams could be added to the GWFC, I would prefer that along with the Mid-Con over the Big Sky. As it currently stands, I prefer whichever option gives NDSU a conference home first.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved