Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Dakotas move away from Big Sky and towards Mid-Con

Default Re: Dakotas move away from Big Sky and towards Mid

An old college roomate and friend was back in Brookings for the holidays. He is now in law school in San Fran and shares a 3 bedroom apartment with 2 roomates. They each pay $800/month in rent
    NDSU, the D1 Mecca.

kchats Guest

Many areas around the country cost alot more to live than the upper midwest. College towns actually have more expensive housing than most towns. As I have moved around and checked into different areas around the country I noticed that college towns have expensive homes.

Yes, California homes are outrageously expensive. You pay $800,000 for a home that would cost around $150,000 to $200,000 in the midwest. Companies usually make up the difference in your salary because they know it costs alot to live there.

Quote Originally Posted by tony
    Ask yourselves, "What would Drago do?" (
    I see the makings of a new T-shirt!!

Quote Originally Posted by kchats
    Companies usually make up the difference in your salary because they know it costs alot to live there.
    They TRY to make up the difference. If I went out to Sac or SF area and got a job in the biotech industry -- which I might add pays very well out there -- there is no way I would be able to afford the equivalent home there as what I own in Iowa. I have a couple of colleagues that live out there -- one works in SF and one in Sac. It took the one in SF a household salary of over $130K/year to buy a little two bed, one bath house in one of the 'burbs on the west side of the bay. The other in Sac, who's company will be moving to Maryville, MO within the year, will be able to sell his house in Sac, buy one in Maryville and hardly have a house payment anymore. He complains all the time about the small houses and lots in Sac. The only thing good is the climate and locale. They can go here and go there. Well, it takes money to go here and go there and if it's all going into your house, how do you afford to do the fun things??? Give me the Midwest any day.
    "If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf." - Bob Hope

Heck, for $130k he could probably buy the whole town of Maryville!!!
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

I used to live in California. I lived in Merced, which is in the San Joaquin Valley. It's cheaper there than living on the coast. A lot of people make long commutes to work in the SF Bay area. Back in 1987 I payed about $240 for a semi-rundown studio. I didn't mind, it was my first appartment. A studio in Monterey was running about $500 at that time.

What I really miss is the clam chowder and sourdough bread. There are plusses to living out there, and there is a lot that you can do without spending a whole lot of money, like driving to Yosemite, just going for a drive on the coast, there's a lot to see and do that you can do on a day trip.

I used to go scuba diving in Monterey. I used to pack up my Chevy Sprint with my great, drive for a couple hours, so a couple dives (cold water, about 50-55 degrees), get some clam chowder, do a little tourist stuff, and then head back home.

But some people are so hung up on income that they forget to consider how much they still have in their pocket after paying bills. If I lived in the SF Bay area, I wouldn't be able to afford a house equivalent to the one I have even if I made triple my income.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodentia
    What I really miss is the clam chowder and sourdough bread.
    Mmmmm. Gooooood!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodentia
    But some people are so hung up on income that they forget to consider how much they still have in their pocket after paying bills.
    My point exactly. I'd rather live in the Midwest and make $75k/year than live on one of the coasts and make $100K/year. I'd have a lot more comfortable life. Most people don't take that into consideration, though.
    "If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf." - Bob Hope

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

"I'd rather live in the Midwest and make $75k/year than live on one of the coasts and make $100K/year. I'd have a lot more comfortable life."

- Not I. Give me soggy weather, expensive housing and a very, very, cool life style any day.

Somebody remind me...How does this all connect with the original "Dakotas move away from Big Sky and towards Mid-Con" subject line???
    Insert something clever here...

BisBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison
    "I'd rather live in the Midwest and make $75k/year than live on one of the coasts and make $100K/year. *I'd have a lot more comfortable life."

- Not I. *Give me soggy weather, expensive housing and a very, very, cool life style any day.

Somebody remind me...How does this all connect with the original "Dakotas move away from Big Sky and towards Mid-Con" subject line???
    Excellent point OrygunBison, expecially for a first post. This a great example of how threads get hijacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    The Big Sky will be a lot worse once UNC gets in there... Although they lost to SDSU by 2 so everyone is in a similar boat I guess.

But the bottom line to me when looking at a conference is not the Sagrin rating or whatever, but to be aligned with a group of peer institutions.

In other words, am I interested in being aligned with Montana State, Idaho State, Weber State, or Centenary, Oral Roberts, Chicago State?
    Chicken shit operation! Lmao. I've always like that one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt