Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: State of NDSU Women's Basketball Program

Default Re: State of NDSU Women's Basketball Program

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I've been listening to the 'let's see next year' deal since I got to college.
    Many of us have been waiting for a dozen years, so buckle your seatbelt.

It is not always easy to get a bunch of talented players to come to a program that has been bad for so long.

HerdBoy is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonionette View Post
    Yeah. And we are still trying to recover from the bush recession She's nearly completed three years here And this is worse than any Dehoff team. Young or not they lack basic skills Being the best player in a Fargo high school doesnt necessarily equate to d1 competency We may do well at d2.
    Jacks do OK with kids from Mitchell and Plank, SD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonionette View Post
    Yeah. And we are still trying to recover from the bush recession She's nearly completed three years here And this is worse than any Dehoff team. Young or not they lack basic skills Being the best player in a Fargo high school doesnt necessarily equate to d1 competency We may do well at d2.
    DeHoffs players in her system are a square peg in a round hole.

Dehoffs last year -
    6-24 and 2-12 Conference with all her players. This is what she built after all those years

Walseth Year #1 -
    11-8 and 7-9 Conference play (most talented team with all DeHoff players and most seniors )

Walseth year #2 -
    7-22 and 2-14 conference play with mostly DeHoff players. Insane number of injuries but still competitive despite lack of veteran talent.

Walseth year 3 -
    5-20 so far, 3-9 in Conference play

Do the math on how young this team is...
    A year ago many of these girls were worrying about their senior prom. Now they just logged a full season as a D1 basketball player. This will pay dividends next year. As far as improving endurance, strength, and skills... That's what the off season is for. Now we are the youngest. In 3 years we will be the most experienced.

Top minutes this year
    Sara Jacobson - Freshman
    Thundstad Jr - started as true fresh in year #1
    Briana Jones - sr transfer
    Tyrah Spencer - freshman
    Rylee Nudel - freshman
    Kennedy Childers - sophmore
    Reilly Jacobson - freshman
    Anna Goodhope - freshman
    Autumn Ogden - freshman

As far as knocking North Dakota players? Dexter Werner seems to do alright. How about AJ Jacobson? How about the fact that our MENS team gets a solid number of players from ND and MN. And let's face it men's basketball is way more competitive

So quit knocking these girls. In the future when they are experienced they will stick their middle finger in your face and say fuck you.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

We are tied with Denver for 7th place in the conference, a one game lead over FW. We have next two games at home and finish with two on the road. Need to place some solid hoops to finish the regular season. Keep turnover to a minimum (under 12), shoot 45% and have 5+ steals. We can win these games.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

dufferole is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    DeHoffs players in her system are a square peg in a round hole.

Dehoffs last year -
    6-24 and 2-12 Conference with all her players. This is what she built after all those years

Walseth Year #1 -
    11-8 and 7-9 Conference play (most talented team with all DeHoff players and most seniors )

Walseth year #2 -
    7-22 and 2-14 conference play with mostly DeHoff players. Insane number of injuries but still competitive despite lack of veteran talent.

Walseth year 3 -
    5-20 so far, 3-9 in Conference play

Do the math on how young this team is...
    A year ago many of these girls were worrying about their senior prom. Now they just logged a full season as a D1 basketball player. This will pay dividends next year. As far as improving endurance, strength, and skills... That's what the off season is for. Now we are the youngest. In 3 years we will be the most experienced.

Top minutes this year
    Sara Jacobson - Freshman
    Thundstad Jr - started as true fresh in year #1
    Briana Jones - sr transfer
    Tyrah Spencer - freshman
    Rylee Nudel - freshman
    Kennedy Childers - sophmore
    Reilly Jacobson - freshman
    Anna Goodhope - freshman
    Autumn Ogden - freshman

As far as knocking North Dakota players? Dexter Werner seems to do alright. How about AJ Jacobson? How about the fact that our MENS team gets a solid number of players from ND and MN. And let's face it men's basketball is way more competitive

So quit knocking these girls. In the future when they are experienced they will stick their middle finger in your face and say fuck you.
    Thank for sharing these stats. Much appreciated.

I'm willing to give Walseth to end of next year to put together what looks like "progress" because her system appears (granted my WBB viewing has been very lacking since about midway through DeHoff's tenure). I like what I've seen from Walseth's eye test as in what type of plays she's attempting to run compared to DeHoff's which always seem to pass it around until we get to under 10 on the shot clock and shoot a desperation shot. Maybe that's where Walseth's team is now I admittedly haven't seen a game yet this year. Again though as Herdbot pointed out this is a very young team. It's almost guaranteed they were going to not perform to DI standards due to that this year. But she wasn't left much option with where DeHoff's last year team left her and then the players she was left with. If we're still playing this poorly in 365 days then as Herdbot stated will be questioning where the program is headed.

I guess my question is we as fans especially ones without great basketball knowledge (I've never played the game other than recreationally for fun essentially) only can tell by our eye test how the team is playing, the skills they're allowed to show in a game, and stats/scores and W/L records. Other than those items what specifically can you give us either on plays she is coaching, skills they have that would help the team that they're not allowed to use? What exactly? Otherwise how do you turn around a I would say within the bottom 10-15% of DI team in 3 years or less? 4 years possibly. If you keep changing coaches every 3 years you're not going to have any continuity at all and that doesn't breed success unless your attracting top of the line coaches. Seniors would end up playing for 3 different coaches in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    We are tied with Denver for 7th place in the conference, a one game lead over FW. We have next two games at home and finish with two on the road. Need to place some solid hoops to finish the regular season. Keep turnover to a minimum (under 12), shoot 45% and have 5+ steals. We can win these games.
    I have not followed closely this year, but folks, 7th place is progress for this team. Let's remember this is not the football program. This team has been bad for so long, we forget just how bad they were.

7th place is one game out if the cellar The defense is dead last and not close. If after next year we can't win at least ten games. I would hope this would enlighten us all about this coach. Her recruiting her coaching and her people skills All imho are sub standard

Denver sucks. Fort Wayne sucks Our coach is in over her head. And this team needs someone who has a background as a head coach. We took a chance at a rookie coach and it's obvious where we are at. Nuff said. I know u don't like it but whatever

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    I'm willing to give Walseth to end of next year to put together what looks like "progress" because her system appears (granted my WBB viewing has been very lacking since about midway through DeHoff's tenure). I like what I've seen from Walseth's eye test as in what type of plays she's attempting to run compared to DeHoff's which always seem to pass it around until we get to under 10 on the shot clock and shoot a desperation shot. Maybe that's where Walseth's team is now I admittedly haven't seen a game yet this year. Again though as Herdbot pointed out this is a very young team. It's almost guaranteed they were going to not perform to DI standards due to that this year. But she wasn't left much option with where DeHoff's last year team left her and then the players she was left with. If we're still playing this poorly in 365 days then as Herdbot stated will be questioning where the program is headed.

I guess my question is we as fans especially ones without great basketball knowledge (I've never played the game other than recreationally for fun essentially) only can tell by our eye test how the team is playing, the skills they're allowed to show in a game, and stats/scores and W/L records. Other than those items what specifically can you give us either on plays she is coaching, skills they have that would help the team that they're not allowed to use? What exactly? Otherwise how do you turn around a I would say within the bottom 10-15% of DI team in 3 years or less? 4 years possibly. If you keep changing coaches every 3 years you're not going to have any continuity at all and that doesn't breed success unless your attracting top of the line coaches. Seniors would end up playing for 3 different coaches in some cases.
    I'm not a great basketball mind either but when your team is statistically the youngest of one of the youngest in the nation, it will be a struggle. I don't care if Pat Summit is your coach. Since our recent tradition is garbage, the only way we will do well is to develop players. Getting a quality transfer just ain't gonna happen.

I'll say this. Going into the future, Walseth won't have any excuses. Every player on the team next year will be one of her recruits. She has the facilities now.

The next class appears to be pretty good. We even beat some power 5 schools for a player. If these girls bust their ass off this off-season and improve their athleticism and overall skills... We should see a huge improvement next year and it should build to a peak in 3 years when all these freshman are seniors. Walseth is doing it the right way. No short cuts

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com