I've read more stupid posts on this topic alone than I have read on all other sports forums combined. The truth is that NDSU thrived in NCAA Division II in several sports, but has struggled since the move up to Division I. Especially so in Women's basketball. IMHO, NDSU should have remained an NCAA Division II school for all sports. That is the division where NDSU belongs.

Back to the stupid posts: I've read on here where some are actually calling "for the coach's head." Given a deplorable situation that she inherited and as mentioned the program should be in D II, she has done the best that virtually any coach could do.

Fact: Fargo, North Dakota and surrounding area is NOT a high school basketball hotbed.
Fact: The university itself is not highly ranked academically.
Fact: NDSU now has the reputation as one of the worst women's basketball teams in all of Division I.
Fact: It doesn't have a lot of wealthy donors or huge alumni base.
Fact: DeHoff couldn't win here at this level and neither can Walseth. Starting to see a pattern?
Fact: Unless you love winter & cold weather the climate doesn't suit the majority of prospective students.
Fact: In order to win at a high level consistently in any college sport (men's or women's) you have to have the 'horses'. Meaning you have to get some of the top players every recruiting class.
Fact: Fargo not appealing to most high school student-athletes in terms of socially.
Fact: Recruiting top basketball talent (5 star & 4 star players) to come to NDSU is almost impossible for the above reasons and more.

The AD could hire a new coach to replace Walseth but the results are still going to be the same for a myriad of reasons. Also fans here keep using the phrase of "at this level." Well, playing in the Summit League is not remotely like playing for a Power 5 conference such as the B1G conference for example. Like night and day difference there. So there are many "levels" of quality within Division I women's basketball. The Summit League would be at or near the bottom. NDSU should have stayed at the Division II level. No doubt MONEY was at the heart of the administration decision to move up. Hard for me to see how the move up has helped NDSU Women's basketball in particular or NDSU athletics in general.

Last, on the coach thing...I doubt that Geno Auriemma himself could turn this program around as HE (Auriemma) would be the only recruiting selling point. And he is clearly one of the top all time winning college hoops coaches up there with Wooden and Krzyzewski. So get off the coach's back, she doesn't have the players to win consistently playing any kind of Division I basketball, even in the Summit League. Again the top 4 and 5 star players will gravitate to schools that excel in basketball, in academics, have a warm climate, where other great players already play, where there are major social activities to do and on and on. NDSU doesn't have those. Should have stayed in Division II. Proof is in the pudding.