Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Default Re: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Can you at least bail if we spring a leak?
    No..............but I'll drink my Kool-Aid really fast and urinate over the side, to lighten the load.

No need to thank me.

Default Re: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    No..............but I'll drink my Kool-Aid really fast and urinate over the side, to lighten the load.

No need to thank me.
    time to move up , this league is now tainted

Any chance some of the best Big Sky and MVFC teams could form a new G5 conference? Maybe add Wichita State? This would obviously require some coordination between all the schools, the existing conferences and the NCAA. Why should all the growing FCS schools be kept back just because G5 conferences are scarce in the west.

One possibility for a new G5 conference:
    NDSU
    SDSU
    Northern Iowa
    Illinois State
    Montana
    Montana State
    Eastern Washington
    Weber State
    Wichita State

Maybe other teams are a better fit, but just my guess.

Of course average attendance and cost would be an issue for some of these schools. Maybe get some relief from the NCAA to transition scholarships, title IX, average attendance, etc. The Big Sky would still have 10 teams with Idaho soon being added, but the MVFC would shrink to 7 teams. This could be offset by UMD, Mankato State or others in the region moving up to FCS.

Just thinking outside the box so no personal attacks please.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Any chance some of the best Big Sky and MVFC teams could form a new G5 conference? Maybe add Wichita State? This would obviously require some coordination between all the schools, the existing conferences and the NCAA. Why should all the growing FCS schools be kept back just because G5 conferences are scarce in the west.

NDSU
    SDSU
    Northern Iowa
    Illinois State
    Montana
    Montana State
    Eastern Washington
    Weber State
    Wichita State

Of course average attendance and cost would be an issue for some of these schools. Maybe get some relief from the NCAA to transition scholarships, title IX, average attendance, etc. The Big Sky would still have 10 teams with Idaho soon being added, but the MVFC would shrink to 7 teams. This could be offset by UMD, Mankato State or others in the region moving up to FCS.

The WAC is the only way to make something like this happen. Not saying siouxvolley was right but his idea is the only way it could work. In your scenario I would replace EWU with Idaho and Weber with Missouri State or New Mexico State. It would take a ton of collaboration and some large funding increases so I don't see it happening. There is definitely a need for another FBS conference but getting it done seems insurmountable.

NDSU
    SDSU
    Northern Iowa
    Illinois State
    Montana
    Montana State
    Eastern Washington
    Weber State
    Wichita State

And when UND wants to join too, what will we, as fans, demand next? Power Five or die?
    Hail the BISON!!!

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Montana and possibly Montana State are the only 2 Big Sky teams that do anything for me personally. I realize foot ball stirs the drink but other sports do matter too, especially MBB. And the Big Sky is a bad basketball conference. EWU has been pretty good in football for a few years and you are still looking at 10K for playoff games. That to me says a lot.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

NDSU
    SDSU
    Northern Iowa
    Illinois State
    Montana
    Montana State
    Eastern Washington
    Weber State
    Wichita State

I think this is the only way we are going to get to the FBS level. There isn't another FBS conference that matches up with us in terms of enrollment, attendance and athletic budget and going out on our own would be prohibitively too expensive and a nightmare scheduling-wise.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Montana and possibly Montana State are the only 2 Big Sky teams that do anything for me personally. I realize foot ball stirs the drink but other sports do matter too, especially MBB. And the Big Sky is a bad basketball conference. EWU has been pretty good in football for a few years and you are still looking at 10K for playoff games. That to me says a lot.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    What I was proposing was a new football only G5 conference.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    I think this is the only way we are going to get to the FBS level. There isn't another FBS conference that matches up with us in terms of enrollment, attendance and athletic budget and going out on our own would be prohibitively too expensive and a nightmare scheduling-wise.
    That is what got me thinking about a new football only G5 conference. Much as it would be difficult to accomplish it is the only realistic possibility. Tired of all the directional, no name schools out east being added to the FBS. It is time the NCAA sees the benefit of geographical balance in the top level of college football. Very good state schools from the upper midwest and northwest have long been ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    Great post but allow me to post some of my alternative facts. FOOTBALL! Big 10 baby! Rose Bowl! We are big time! FCS is a joke! Total NCC D2 days! What a joke!
    If only ND would have followed States like MN, NE back in 1889 and we only had 1 university, we probably be there...