Page 47 of 65 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

CalBison97 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    My point . . . you want to be in a position where you can play games against the top level. If you can do that in the FCS, fine . . . but it appears that you need to move to get those games in the future. If you stay FCS and you can't get any FBS games, you have to consider moving before the fan base starts to pull back.
    Well I guess we won't have to worry about losing fans until 2025.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stand your ground, have a tough hide, roam wild and free, have a strong spirit, let the chips fall where they may.

Default Re: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

My point . . . you want to be in a position where you can play games against the top level. If you can do that in the FCS, fine . . . but it appears that you need to move to get those games in the future. If you stay FCS and you can't get any FBS games, you have to consider moving before the fan base starts to pull back.
    FYI, MAC schools are starting to get the cold shoulder from P5 teams too. I stated this in a previous post last week when I was in Akron. In a conversation with one of their officials about football, he stated this to me when I brought up NDSU's difficulty to get P5 games. He also stated this was causing MAC schools like Buffalo to drop sports do to the lack of revenue.

As far as moving to the MAC, NDSU is way too far West. Half the MAC football teams are in Ohio and the closest school is Northern Illinois.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    FYI, MAC schools are starting to get the cold shoulder from P5 teams too. I stated this in a previous post last week when I was in Akron. In a conversation with one of their officials about football, he stated this to me when I brought up NDSU's difficulty to get P5 games. He also stated this was causing MAC schools like Buffalo to drop sports do to the lack of revenue.

As far as moving to the MAC, NDSU is way too far West. Half the MAC football teams are in Ohio and the closest school is Northern Illinois.
    Lets hope this trend accelerates exponentially in the future so we can get some "Fresh blood" into the "new FCS order" (G5 + FCS)
    I pray every night that God will somehow allow a G5/FCS playoff haha
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

OOC Games . . . who do we want to play?

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio, Toledo, Miami (OH), etc, etc, etc (or)
    Robert Morris, Drake, Valpo, N. Az, Weber, Lamar, etc. . .

Our fans will be turning up their noses in 2017 due to OOC stench.

I'd try to get to the MAC, it would be good for the university. Go upto about 75-80 scholarships like most of the MAC teams . . . don't need to go all the way to 85. Bring back the big time OOC games in our region. It's really where we can best compete. We could make an extra 1.5 millioin a year in OOC games most likely.
    If you aren't fully funding or can't fully fund an FBS team, you probably don't belong in the FBS

Quote Originally Posted by Mayville Bison View Post
    If you aren't fully funding or can't fully fund an FBS team, you probably don't belong in the FBS
    yep, would make zero sense to half ass it, may as well stay in the top of FCS
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    yep, would make zero sense to half ass it, may as well stay in the top of FCS
    So true. If you're going to do it, do it right.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayville Bison View Post
    I don't think this will be the answer anyways. When the true second tier shakes out, it will be reorganized so the G5 schools can find a way to be economically feasible. Right now the G5 can't fully fund football at 85 scholarships without P5 subsidizing them and I don't think that is going to last forever. As the P5 goes more parochial and decides their best interest is served by severing as much of the financial obligations as possible to anyone who is not a P5 school, then the real second tier will be forced to build its own identity. 85 scholarships will not be part of the picture. I am thinking the future second tier will look more like the FCS than today's FBS.

The question isn't whether NDSU can fund at the MAC level, it should be whether the timeline is realistic to wait for the MAC and the rest of the G5 to scale back towards the FCS. I think it would be nice to know there is a 5 year plan out there that certain events trigger certain behavior. I am fairly certain if the G5 starts finding some more distance between themselves and the P5 schools and there comes a time to scale back, that is a trigger for NDSU to aggressively move in a different direction than what is happening currently. I believe administration when it says we will be in the second tier, it is just prudent for the second tier to better define itself before NDSU starts chasing a moving target with a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I don't think this will be the answer anyways. When the true second tier shakes out, it will be reorganized so the G5 schools can find a way to be economically feasible. Right now the G5 can't fully fund football at 85 scholarships without P5 subsidizing them and I don't think that is going to last forever. As the P5 goes more parochial and decides their best interest is served by severing as much of the financial obligations as possible to anyone who is not a P5 school, then the real second tier will be forced to build its own identity. 85 scholarships will not be part of the picture. I am thinking the future second tier will look more like the FCS than today's FBS.

The question isn't whether NDSU can fund at the MAC level, it should be whether the timeline is realistic to wait for the MAC and the rest of the G5 to scale back towards the FCS. I think it would be nice to know there is a 5 year plan out there that certain events trigger certain behavior. I am fairly certain if the G5 starts finding some more distance between themselves and the P5 schools and there comes a time to scale back, that is a trigger for NDSU to aggressively move in a different direction than what is happening currently. I believe administration when it says we will be in the second tier, it is just prudent for the second tier to better define itself before NDSU starts chasing a moving target with a lot of money.
    Best part about this will be when the split happens, the MVFC will instantly become of the top 2nd tier conferences

Doubtful. Take out ndsu and MVFC becomes pretty pedestrian. Sdsu won't have their talent forever and uni has been nothing since they formed their program.

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Doubtful. Take out ndsu and MVFC becomes pretty pedestrian. Sdsu won't have their talent forever and uni has been nothing since they formed their program.
    Yeah, if they did a Acc/B1G type challenge between the MVFC and any G5 conference, I would be surprised to see the MVFC go above .500 in any of those.
    College of Business Alumnus