Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Default When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Could we at least get him on record saying he's talked about it.

Someone's got to start helping with the paddling.

Row row row your boat.

FBS or bust.

We don't need any naysayers in this thread. This thread is about moving forward. Finally put NDSU on the map.

Pump it up!

Lardsin must go!

Default Re: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

NDSU doesn't beg. If FBS was the goal my guess is statements would begin to come out about the position NDSU is in as a STRONG FBS Caliber School (academics included) and see who calls.

Football continued success and Basketball doing well is key. Many other aspects required to be attractive to a conference. NDSU checks some of the boxes.

Has anyone done a detailed analysis of how NDSU truly compares in all areas compared to an high level, average, and low end FBS conference school? NDSU likely has, be curious to see what boxes have not been checked and why. Kind of like an employment review. You score very well in quality of football, basketball, wrestling, softball, some academic areas etc but here are several areas where you are not ready and what you need to do for the promotion. Here are your goals.

Having a list of quantifiable/subjective metrics for the successful and deficient areas would be interesting to me. Possible point of reference for future fbs threads.

Also sorry to contribute to another FBS thread, was on top on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

I think if the Power 5 breaks away that is our opportunity- then everyone else either moves to where we are or forms another tier. I am happy where we are: a HUGE fish in a medium pond. If we move up we are a at best a med fish in a LARGE pond.

I would be completely shocked if

1. This conversation and analysis have not been going on for some time.
    2. They would give any indication about their thoughts or intentions (don’t forget, this is ND and we’re NDSU).

This decision will be made entirely on economics. Footprint/fit is tricky, but as JJ said yesterday on The Insiders, a lot can happen in three years. NDSU will and should hold out for the best – no Sunbelt for me, please. Personally, I don't see the P5/G5 split ever happening, though.

But I’m totally digging your enthusiasm, and I can't believe I just made a post without any smack in it. I’m trying …

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Could we at least get him on record saying he's talked about it.

Someone's got to start helping with the paddling.

Row row row your boat.

FBS or bust.

We don't need any naysayers in this thread. This thread is about moving forward. Finally put NDSU on the map.

Pump it up!
    Stop trolling coach Fleck, he has a family to feed

Quote Originally Posted by Winning is Gr8 View Post
    I think if the Power 5 breaks away that is our opportunity- then everyone else either moves to where we are or forms another tier. I am happy where we are: a HUGE fish in a medium pond. If we move up we are a at best a med fish in a LARGE pond.
    The P5 isn't going to break away. They will just keep 95% of the money.

I'm all for an affiliate football only membership in either the MAC or MWC. I'm guessing NDSU has already had feelers but until those or another FBS conference outside of the Sunbelch offers we are stuck. NDSU needs to get their foot in the door because I have no doubt when they do they will blow it open. NDSU doesn't fit with 90% of the FCS schools, most don't support FB. What else is there to accomplish at this level? Sure we can keep making the PO every year and win more championships but that's eventually going to stagnate. If you're not growing you're dieing. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Winning is Gr8 View Post
    Glad to hear you like being a huge fish in a medium pond. After a while though that medium pond gets to be kind of boring since you got to know every corner, been there and done that. And since all the little fish don't have a chance the sport of chasing to get your dinner has lost its appeal. But most important that medium pond isn't big enough to support all the little fish and you find your growth is stunted as scum starts appear in the pond. Now don't you wish there was a bigger pond to jump into?

This thread is ridiculous. Will you FBS or bust people just shut the hell up already!! What is Matt Larsen supposed to do? Send a letter to every FBS conference commissioner and tell them they are interested in going FBS?! Teams don't choose conferences, conferences choose teams that they want to join. Can you lobby? I suppose. But lobbying to get into the MFVC is a hell of a lot different then lobbying an FBS conference. Just face the facts, I know it is hard for some here. In the current state of college football, NDSU IS NOT MOVING TO AN FBS CONFERENCE. Say that over and over again so it sinks in. How many times do the realization of facts need to be stated? FBS conferences choose to add teams based on money. Mainly the money that their media market can bring the conference. Sorry, but Fargo is a small media market. That is the main reason. The other equally big reason is money. NDSU would have to increase it's budget by 3 or 4 times to afford it. So unless there are a lot of donors that are secretly in the waiting to donate millions of dollars, it aint going to happen. I don't know if some of you just don't want to hear these facts, or if you just have this blind hope that things will magically happen simply if Matt Larsen just says "We are looking at going FBS." The NDSU athletic department and administration are smart. They know what is going on. They have gone on record saying that they will look at the landscape of college football and put NDSU in the situation that is best for NDSU. Matt Larsen has said that NDSU needs to be in the second tier of college football. If the day comes where the P% split and form their own division, I believe NDSU will be in the position to be in that next tier. NDSU handled the transition to DI pretty well. I trust they will make the best decision for the future of football. Just take a deep breath, enjoy continued success, and let the powers that be continue to do what they are doing.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    This thread is ridiculous. Will you FBS or bust people just shut the hell up already!! What is Matt Larsen supposed to do? Send a letter to every FBS conference commissioner and tell them they are interested in going FBS?! Teams don't choose conferences, conferences choose teams that they want to join. Can you lobby? I suppose. But lobbying to get into the MFVC is a hell of a lot different then lobbying an FBS conference. Just face the facts, I know it is hard for some here. In the current state of college football, NDSU IS NOT MOVING TO AN FBS CONFERENCE. Say that over and over again so it sinks in. How many times do the realization of facts need to be stated? FBS conferences choose to add teams based on money. Mainly the money that their media market can bring the conference. Sorry, but Fargo is a small media market. That is the main reason. The other equally big reason is money. NDSU would have to increase it's budget by 3 or 4 times to afford it. So unless there are a lot of donors that are secretly in the waiting to donate millions of dollars, it aint going to happen. I don't know if some of you just don't want to hear these facts, or if you just have this blind hope that things will magically happen simply if Matt Larsen just says "We are looking at going FBS." The NDSU athletic department and administration are smart. They know what is going on. They have gone on record saying that they will look at the landscape of college football and put NDSU in the situation that is best for NDSU. Matt Larsen has said that NDSU needs to be in the second tier of college football. If the day comes where the P% split and form their own division, I believe NDSU will be in the position to be in that next tier. NDSU handled the transition to DI pretty well. I trust they will make the best decision for the future of football. Just take a deep breath, enjoy continued success, and let the powers that be continue to do what they are doing.
    Less naysaying, more paddling

Comes down to two things: geography and money. Enough money can overcome the lack of a geographic fit.

Closest FBS members are UofM and Iowa State: Big 10 smallest enrollment/endowment (Northwestern: 21000/ Maryland $283 million), Big 12 (TCU: 10323/ K-State: $488 million), Big 10 average (41000, $3.2 billion) Big 12 averages (28700, $1.3 billion). Safe to say we can exclude P5 conferences from the discussion, from a strictly financial standpoint.

Closest G5 conference members: Northern Illinois (597 miles from Fargo to Dekalb) and Wyoming (790 miles). NDSU would have smallest enrollment in MAC by 4000 and third smallest in MWC (Air Force and Wyoming). NDSU currently has larger endowment than 5 MAC schools and 3 MWC schools. Much better fit financially, worse geographically. Need to consider facilities, coaching salaries, additional scholarships and COA for football and women's programs: would athletic programs need to be added to comply with title IX and/or new conference requirements? $$$$$$$$$$$

I'm all for moving up if the right situation comes along, but NDSU doesn't need to beg conferences for an invite. Raise a bunch more money (any chance for state support with, or even without, the current budget difficulties?) and become attractive enough to them that it overcomes the geographic hurdles and increased costs to the current conference members. The original post also said this is about moving forward; not certain that a move to the MAC is a move forward for the university.