Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Default Re: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Seriously, I think there is now closer to 50% that want out of FCS.
    Close to 50% of what group? Also, I am curious how you arrive at this figure.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Default Re: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Quote Originally Posted by BisonVet View Post
    Close to 50% of what group? Also, I am curious how you arrive at this figure.
    Just a gut feel from talking to people at tailgate, others I know in Fargo. Bisonville is not the end all, but many posters here are becoming more in favor and letting their opinion be known. In the past those who want FBS have been vilified just because they bring the topic up here. Can you prove the FBS naysayers are the majority?

Just a gut feel from talking to people at tailgate, others I know in Fargo. Bisonville is not the end all, but many posters here are becoming more in favor and letting their opinion be known. In the past those who want FBS have been vilified just because they bring the topic up here. Can you prove the FBS naysayers are the majority?
    You are on a tear this morning SD . I don't think posters wanting to go FBS have been "vilified" any more than those who have said they do not believe the time is right. Look at some of the name calling on any thread. I can't provide any proof any more than you can, and ultimately percentages for or against are not going to address the impediments to a move.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

You are on a tear this morning SD . I don't think posters wanting to go FBS have been "vilified" any more than those who have said they do not believe the time is right. Look at some of the name calling on any thread. I can't provide any proof any more than you can, and ultimately percentages for or against are not going to address the impediments to a move.
    Who created the first threads demanding no FBS talk? I rest my case. Also, look at the size of the thread promoting FBS. The pro FCS folks just can't stand to even have the topic discussed.

Also, the great divide on this topic reminds me of the political dilemma this country faces. Very close to 50-50 so a stalemate exists.

Seriously, I think there is now closer to 50% that want out of FCS. The MVFC is going to assure the better teams in the western part of the conference beat the crap out of themselves by playing each other every year and rotating play against the eastern teams. This will be like the old NCC since a majority of the schedule will be against former NCC schools (yeah I know, Simmers and old school types love this). Busing is of #1 importance as the great football mind Patty V. said on 1660 the other day. Again, it is time to expect more out of teammakers than just a bunch of good old boys reliving their past.
    Welcoming an FBS move if the right invite/financial situation comes along isn't the same as wanting out the FCS. I think an awful lot people fall into one of those categories that may get lumped into the other. The move will come when 1) we get an invite, 2) we have appropriate pieces in place (facilities, programs, and most importantly financial support, and 3) it makes sense for the university. We can't control #1 (cue the "we need to contacting/begging conferences" replies), we can contribute to #2, and #3 is ultimately up to administration. If you want to move up as quick as possible, donate money to make us the most attractive school should G5 conferences decide to expand.

Nothing is stopping the pro-FBS crowd at any cost from contacting the decision makers, but what action are you demanding from Matt Larson? Please, PLEASE do not say he should be out pleading with the MAC and MWC to expand. Begging never looks good. And ask yourself this question: in adding NDSU, what's in it for those conferences?

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post
    Welcoming an FBS move if the right invite/financial situation comes along isn't the same as wanting out the FCS. I think an awful lot people fall into one of those categories that may get lumped into the other. The move will come when 1) we get an invite, 2) we have appropriate pieces in place (facilities, programs, and most importantly financial support, and 3) it makes sense for the university. We can't control #1 (cue the "we need to contacting/begging conferences" replies), we can contribute to #2, and #3 is ultimately up to administration. If you want to move up as quick as possible, donate money to make us the most attractive school should G5 conferences decide to expand.

Nothing is stopping the pro-FBS crowd at any cost from contacting the decision makers, but what action are you demanding from Matt Larson? Please, PLEASE do not say he should be out pleading with the MAC and MWC to expand. Begging never looks good. And ask yourself this question: in adding NDSU, what's in it for those conferences?
    Tend to agree... except that I'd say the next step to going FBS would be to take NDSU to a new level academically. That makes it more likely to land to an invitation to a decent FBS conference, but then, even if NDSU doesn't get invited into an FBS conference, at least we'd have accomplished something worthwhile.

I did hear a rumor that Matt Larsen was spotted outside of Mountain West HQ holding over his head a boombox blasting out an orchestral version of "We Are the Pride."

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Tend to agree... except that I'd say the next step to going FBS would be to take NDSU to a new level academically. That makes it more likely to land to an invitation to a decent FBS conference, but then, even if NDSU doesn't get invited into an FBS conference, at least we'd have accomplished something worthwhile.

I did hear a rumor that Matt Larsen was spotted outside of Mountain West HQ holding over his head a boombox blasting out an orchestral version of "We Are the Pride."
    What does this mean? What are the policies or actions that would improve academically?

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonwinagn View Post
    What does this mean? What are the policies or actions that would improve academically?
    Higher enrollment, more competitive grants, higher research visibility. Nose-to-the-grindstone kind of stuff ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonwinagn View Post
    Bigger endowment too.

We’re on the right track, but the budget challenges are most definitely a setback. The important thing is to not give up on NDSU at this critical time, even though I know many of you are unhappy. DB and ML had no choice about the MVC/Summit expansion decision.