Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1555636465

Thread: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Default Re: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see where Matt Larsen addresses anything about financials. He says the MAC and MW aren't looking for more members right now. That isn't news to anyone, that's public knowledge. Bison Illustrated writing an (awesome) investigative article about two of the 11 teams to jump in the last 5 years is not the same as the athletic dept. doing a complete and thorough study about what it would take (which I would have to believe has been done already)

Reference PL's post above, ML has always said that moving up won't work out financially. Recently, he stated that moving up would be an option if it made sense financially. Now when asked to comment on an article about financials, he is saying that it's about conference invites. Obviously money is the issue, but why change your tune on it when pressed about financials?

Honestly, I don't care. I love FCS. FBS would be awesome, if a conference invite came along. In my experiences, most FBS crowd people don't want a blind jump to FBS, they would like to see a study weighing the pros and cons. If the pros outweigh the cons, they would like to see NDSU start to make moves to position itself to court a conference. Maybe this is already underway behind the scenes.

I think it obvious that they already know. Hence MLs quotes.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Default Re: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Apparently, according to CM's article below, it's one of the top 4 questions asked to Bison Illustrated. i don't know which side has support, but remember the group you're polling. See my post below responding to CM, I just want a definitive response. There's three quotes from you two on this page that are all different responses to the same FBS question. Why?
    ]

The reasons could be many but the two major reasons were addressed. At least to me. But if you want a definitive answer email ML.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

4 companies at $25million, each get a corner in a
    38000 MOSTLY ENCLOSED STADIUM. (high walls & upward overhang over 2nd deck) NDSU can raise the other $50 million.

put it south of the SHAC west to east on current practice fields.

NDSU keeps ALL revenue, advertising, concessions, tailgate stays in same spot and continues to add west of softball fields.

this is SO EASY its embarassing

If NDSU is in Mountain West, you are talking 1 game in November...maybe. they never play last Nov 20.

you naysayers are a joke

$150 million
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

DORMIE is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Whether you want to hear it or not. Not everyone in Fargo are head over heals about the Bison. Some are actually annoyed.Tthe thought of Fargo building a $150 million stadium is a pipe dream. People actually enjoy the FCS success.

Quote Originally Posted by DORMIE View Post
    Whether you want to hear it or not. Not everyone in Fargo are head over heals about the Bison. Some are actually annoyed.Tthe thought of Fargo building a $150 million stadium is a pipe dream. People actually enjoy the FCS success.
    And likewise there a lot of people who aren't annoyed and there are a lot of people who would like to see FBS success and support a new facility. I know shocker right.

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post
    So the two most viable G5 conferences for us, which each still present geographic challenges, aren't looking. Until they start looking, all we can do is make our product better.

Finances and an invite: it's not about one or the other, it's about both. And right now we have neither.

For those that want an FBS study done: what is stopping you from getting a group together, contacting the athletic department, and putting a proposal together to fund that study? I have no clue how many fans actually support the move, and the AD may not either, so why should they fund a study that potentially few people are behind and that based on previous work they already believe is something that isn't viable. Simply to get a more accurate estimate to appease fans? The pro-FBS group seems to want everything done for them, but on the athletic departments dollar.

Every damn bit of this conversation comes down to money that we currently don't have.
    Maybe the pro fbs have been giving and would like to a little return on their donations.......i hate when folks suggest that the fbs group does not pay their fair share.....it is presumptuous, aragent and a complete dick statement. There are plenty arguments out there. Accusing the other side of being a bunch of freeloaders isn't one of them
    Last edited by MAKBison; 08-06-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Maybe the pro fbs have been giving and would like to a little return on their donations.......i hate when folks suggest that the fbs group does not pay their fair share.....it is presumptuous, aragent and a complete dick statement. There are plenty arguments out there. Accusing the other side of being a bunch of freeloaders isn't one of them
    I have little doubt those people have been giving and probably giving a lot, and if they haven't they certainly should be. And they may be paying their "fair share" currently; if they are donating now at a level that would be required from all donors for an FBS move, I have no idea. A little presumptuous to assume all of them have been giving...

Isn't it a little arrogant to say that since you are donating you are entitled to a public presentation on stadium options that have been researched by the administration, cost estimates, and any and all information on what FBS conferences have been contacted? You say you want to see return on investment; what about those that donate who trust leadership to do what's best and might view such a study as a waste of resources at a university that has recently had significant funding cuts? If you feel your donations to the athletic department aren't being properly used, I would expect the athletic director would want to hear about it along with suggestions about proper use.

Quote Originally Posted by DORMIE View Post
    Now, I agree with you there are people in Fargo who could care less about the Bison or NDSU, for that matter. There are probably some who openly cheer against anything herd related and oppose anything to do with the institution. I also think it is a bit naive to believe a $150M stadium is a pipe dream unless you mean it will probably be more like $250M-$300M. It isn't a matter of if, it is still a matter of when. The area population will continue to grow even if it drops to a more steady moderate rate. The number of schools being built and planned in long range forecasting has still not fully met demand. There will eventually come the need for larger facilities. I don't see the correlation between college athletics and local entertainment, even for those who didn't attend NDSU, waning anytime in the near or far future. It is ingrained in our society.

I am not going to go all back into why I think moving now into a G5 conference is not such a great idea, but moving up is not one of those things I am against if you have read my previous posts. I am very pragmatic and feel every angle should be looked at. The financial climate of college athletics is also cyclic and NDSU is in a great position to weather the next few years as the ESPNs and other networks figure out what the equilibrium is when it comes to TV contracts. Some schools at every level are going to fall. NDSU has been a model of financial stability nationally even if the state political pundits think otherwise. There will be a day of reckoning for a lot of institutions and some will not be standing athletic programs at the same level they are today. They will be unable to compete for the same money 80 other factors in their domains are vying for.

I am with a lot of people here that the future goal could be a lot more. I also feel the ship should be directed at that goal with a slow steady pace in mind. You keep getting your ship bigger and in better shape but you don't make any sharp turns. You simply put yourself in a position where the only movement that makes sense is straight ahead, no matter what is in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post
    I have little doubt those people have been giving and probably giving a lot, and if they haven't they certainly should be. And they may be paying their "fair share" currently; if they are donating now at a level that would be required from all donors for an FBS move, I have no idea. A little presumptuous to assume all of them have been giving...

Isn't it a little arrogant to say that since you are donating you are entitled to a public presentation on stadium options that have been researched by the administration, cost estimates, and any and all information on what FBS conferences have been contacted? You say you want to see return on investment; what about those that donate who trust leadership to do what's best and might view such a study as a waste of resources at a university that has recently had significant funding cuts? If you feel your donations to the athletic department aren't being properly used, I would expect the athletic director would want to hear about it along with suggestions about proper use.
    Point being its a dick move to use unprovable points to disparage a group for the porpose of silencing their opinion. ....which is what u did. Why not just argue on the merits.... just because others don't share your opinion does not make them below you.

Btw, a few weeks back, there was a bday party 45 miles south (you could say there was a bit of bison talk going on there). Ill put it this way, what you read in print is not always as a clear as it could be. Td pretty much nailed it
    Last edited by MAKBison; 08-07-2017 at 10:11 PM.

This is SO Simple, its a shame NDSU ADMIN cant even try:

$150 Million 42,000 seat semi enclosed stadium:

4 Corporations = $25 Million each (they each get a corner for product placement, suites, party spot)

NDSU raises $50 million.

Place it east to west on practice fields south of SHAC.

Tailgating area stays the same & expands to East side, University houses become tailgate yards.

No home games after Nov 15th or so.

Mountain West is for the Best!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?