Page 32 of 65 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Default Re: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    Grow the brand? How? How much bigger does one's brand get in FCS? We took down a top 15 team last year after winning our 5th straight title. What is there left to do? Seriously. Just being realistic.
    Two things: receive a conference invite, and raise a shitload of money. It's not happening without both of them.

You are right, we have checked off every box in FCS football. But getting a conference invite has nearly nothing to do with how good we are at football. If having a good football team/athletic program mattered that much, we would have one by now and Rutgers wouldn't be in the Big 10.

Default Re: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    Grow the brand? How? How much bigger does one's brand get in FCS? We took down a top 15 team last year after winning our 5th straight title. What is there left to do? Seriously. Just being realistic.
    Beating James Madison was left undone.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Beating James Madison was left undone.
    I wholly endorse this statement. Please, wipe that shit-eatin grin off Mike Houston’s face this season, preferably in Frisco TX.

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post
    Two things: receive a conference invite, and raise a shitload of money. It's not happening without both of them.

You are right, we have checked off every box in FCS football. But getting a conference invite has nearly nothing to do with how good we are at football. If having a good football team/athletic program mattered that much, we would have one by now and Rutgers wouldn't be in the Big 10.
    Thats huge. Its not something we have to do just one year. But every year and raise more every year. We know the state isnt going to help us. So where does all the money come from?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Money is getting tight. ESPN is tightening its belt. The number of bowl games is going to be dramatically reduced. TV contracts are going to be renegotiated downward. P5 teams are not going to have the revenue stream as in the past. The G5 teams/conferences are going to be in a world of hurting. The money for G5 teams is going to dry up in a hurry. The future doesn't look very bright for the FBS.

Obviously money is a factor but our only chance to be successful moving up is to keep the blue collar do more with less approach. Can't skimp on coaches pay but we don't need elaborate facilities. Think Rocky IV. Culture wins out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

SoCalBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Dark days ahead for FBS, indeed. Perhaps some of the coaches and assistants will see their salaries fall out of the stratosphere. No real reason a coach at a middle-performing G-5 school is making a million a year. That's what is unsustainable. ESPN's problems are a signal of what's to come.

At this point, as an FBSer, I'm holding out for either a Summit/Big Sky FBS conference or affiliate football membership to the MW. It sucks because it's not an ideal stepping stone to hopefully greener pastures, but if you're not moving forward, you're moving backward. My biggest fear is complacency and a repeat of the early 90's. Look what happened to Georgia Southern and Appy...

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    At this point, as an FBSer, I'm holding out for either a Summit/Big Sky FBS conference or affiliate football membership to the MW. It sucks because it's not an ideal stepping stone to hopefully greener pastures, but if you're not moving forward, you're moving backward. My biggest fear is complacency and a repeat of the early 90's. Look what happened to Georgia Southern and Appy...
    Just because we arent moving to FBS at this juncture doesnt mean we arent moving forward.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by thundarsdaddy View Post
    Exactly!!

At the Bison Showcase, just one week ago today, one speaker was Coach K, who told us he was invited to speak at the University of Georgia not long ago. Not only did Georgia folks keep asking him tha question.."What are you folks doing right up there in Fargo? You guys are the talk of college football?", but so did many of the media folks ask him that very same thing!

Then Will Compton spoke. Nebraska alum, and current MLB for the Washington Redskins! He told us early on that he wanted to see for himself, as to whats going on up here...whats in the water...what makes NDSU have so much "culture" where players can "turn-it-up-a-notch"? Then Compton told us some very awesome stories about his 2 games where he played right across from that dreaded young QB named Wentz, on that dreaded Eagles team that the "Skins" love to hate! Then the very next day Compton was down on the field talking with players and coaches, and it seemed he wasn't just shittin' us with his rhetoric about "whats Fargo doing right"!!

My opinion is this...until the NCAA re-aligns, or re-designs college FB, as they keep saying they will, NDSU could end up making a huge mistake by a move "up" to an FBS conference suchas the Mid American for example. We are doing something very special up here...why fuck with that when the future is so uncertain about college FB?

We cant even be certain right now if ESPN, and all its $$$ problems, can or will keep showing FCS playoff games on TV anymore, as they are just hemorrhaging money at ESPN? And the folks here at NDSU are fully aware that our own $$$ supply will dwindle.
    Why do you think all of what was said about doing it right and whats in the water goes away if we were to go FBS? I am of the belief it does not go away. I am of the belief that what "we are doing right & whats in the water" transfer to the next level. Anyway, I sure would love to find out if does. I think we are a perennial top 30 team now, I think if we were in the FBS we could leverage that into a perennial top 25 team. Maybe I am crazy.