Page 14 of 65 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Default Re: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    How about some updates on challenges and progress to going FBS. All I hear is lots of crickets. I define the pro FBS crowd as those who want a move in the next few years if possible along with those that think it needs to be done but might take longer. I don't think begging is required. How about some well placed inquiries and let people know that NDSU is exploring options.
    I don't doubt that internal discussions are happening regarding future possibilities for the athletic program. But that's where they should stay: internal. No need, at all, to let people know what we are only thinking about. What would that do to our potential negotiating power, and what would that also do to our standing in the current conferences if we acknowledge we are looking for a way to leave? All of this is moot without a ton of money AND a conference invite.

Completely agree on investing academically to improve our resume. No matter how attractive our football program is, if the G5 expands they will be looking at other options as well. We need to invest everywhere, not just athletics.

Default Re: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    So exactly what facility(ies) is/are NDSU missing for an FBS move? Yes, a larger stadium would be nice and a lot of schools have an IPF. But, what does NDSU NEED facility-wise to make the move up?
    That would depend on what sports programs were added. FBS classification requires sponsorship of 16 varsity sports (at least 6 men's, and at least 8 women's). We currently have 14, 7 men's and 7 women's. We would have to add women's scholarships anyway to even out the 22 extra for football. Bowling wouldn't need much for facilites, but I'm guessing women's swimming/diving, ice hockey, gymnastics, tennis, or rowing might require some capital investment.

Amazing how many women's rowing teams there are, until you look at the scholarship limit chart and realize they allow 20 women's scholarships. Helps cancel out the 85 taken up by FBS football.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post
    That would depend on what sports programs were added. FBS classification requires sponsorship of 16 varsity sports (at least 6 men's, and at least 8 women's). We currently have 14, 7 men's and 7 women's. We would have to add women's scholarships anyway to even out the 22 extra for football. Bowling wouldn't need much for facilites, but I'm guessing women's swimming/diving, ice hockey, gymnastics, tennis, or rowing might require some capital investment.

Amazing how many women's rowing teams there are, until you look at the scholarship limit chart and realize they allow 20 women's scholarships. Helps cancel out the 85 taken up by FBS football.
    Thank you for actually answering the question. Does Swimming have to be accompanied by Diving? Could NDSU add Swimming and Water Polo?

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Thank you for actually answering the question. Does Swimming have to be accompanied by Diving? Could NDSU add Swimming and Water Polo?
    No clue, but I think Swimming/Diving are considered one sports program. Theoretically yes, NDSU could add any combination of programs that satisfy the requirements. Easiest to achieve may be adding women's sports the summit league has but we currently don't sponsor (swimming/diving and tennis) so they have a home immediately. Those two programs also combine for a max of 22 scholarships.

Team Makers without season tickets have had the chance to get single-game tickets for a limited number of games the past two seasons. Ours were always up around row GG or HH in the south end zone. In 2015 we got 2 tickets to 4 games and last year we only got tickets for 2 games, but they were better games.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I could dig that. I think a few of my friends(all of us are mid 20's) would consider joining just for that. None of them are currently. My sister in DC likes to come back for a game or two a year, she'd join.

Jamestown guys got all the best ideas...
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post

I don't profess to be an expert on this but I believe T&F counts as more than one sport. I think indoor, outdoor and cross country are separate. But I'm sure someone who actually knows will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    I don't profess to be an expert on this but I believe T&F counts as more than one sport. I think indoor, outdoor and cross country are separate. But I'm sure someone who actually knows will chime in.
    Your are correct and this is why NDSU officially has 16 varsity sports and not 14. I don't know how the scholarship numbers work with Track & Field being counted twice, but it saves the school a lot of money of adding sports.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Team Makers without season tickets have had the chance to get single-game tickets for a limited number of games the past two seasons. Ours were always up around row GG or HH in the south end zone. In 2015 we got 2 tickets to 4 games and last year we only got tickets for 2 games, but they were better games.
    I have season tickets so I am not angling for me to get some. One other thing TM could do is possible not allow current season ticket holders to get more season tickets. I know I could get shot for this. This way new people become season ticket holders and not the same people with just more tickets in their control.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Your are correct and this is why NDSU officially has 16 varsity sports and not 14. I don't know how the scholarship numbers work with Track & Field being counted twice, but it saves the school a lot of money of adding sports.
    Can't find any reference that says indoor and outdoor T&F count as two separate sports programs. Either way the 22 extra scholarships for the football team would have to be matched by additional scholarships to women's programs.

Edit: found my own source, NCAA list of sports sponsorship (http://web1.ncaa.org/onlineDir/exec2/sponsorship). Indoor and outdoor T&F are listed as separate programs, cross country also separate. My bad, NDSU offers 16 sports programs (8 mens and 8 womens). FWIW, swimming and diving is listed together as one sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    I have season tickets so I am not angling for me to get some. One other thing TM could do is possible not allow current season ticket holders to get more season tickets. I know I could get shot for this. This way new people become season ticket holders and not the same people with just more tickets in their control.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix