Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Worst Days in Bison D1 Football Era

mtoutfitter is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Top 5 Worst Days in Bison D1 Football Era

Quote Originally Posted by GFBison View Post
    1984 National Championship loss to Troy State 18-17, TS game winning 50yd field goal. I think NDSU was at the 2 yard line with 1:36 left and kicked a field goal to take the lead 17-15.

But yea that F''hawk thing too.
    Don't mean to an asshole but I think the thread title specifically says......DI football era...
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

If you want to dwell on the negative, at least get it right:

1. TheBisonator dies
    1. Notorious dies
    1. Jake Laber dies
    1. Tyler Jangula dies
    1. F**king cancer takes Scotty Miller

those are five of the worst Bison-athletics-related days of the DI era (for me, at least.) Edit: Missing some too - Mike Wieser, RIP.

Put things in perspective.

Don't want to be a complete downer so think back to some really bad days like that game at EWU (calling that bounce pass a completion still boggles my mind.) That made the Bison very angry. Not angry enough to, you know, run to the weight rooms and furiously pump things, but angry enough to win five straight national championships. However, the worst day (that turned out to be awesome) was when Big Sky said, "No thanks, we're good," when they had a chance to get NDSU and SDSU. In the end, that resulted in NDSU getting into a marginally better football conference and a tremendously better basketball conference. But in the time between the Big Sky fumbling and the MVFC/Summit recovering, the pain was very real - made worse by all the DI naysayers and NDSU critics crowing non-stop.

IMO, UND joining the Summit is kind of good for NDSU. UND joining the MVFC is not good for NDSU, but it's not bad either - it's a half-hearted meh.
    Last edited by tony; 01-27-2017 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Mike Wieser RIP

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    If you want to dwell on the negative, at least get it right:

1. TheBisonator dies
    1. Notorious dies
    1. Jake Laber dies
    1. Tyler Jangula dies
    1. F**king cancer takes Scotty Miller

Put things in perspective, folks.

Don't want to be a complete downer but think back to some really bad days like that game at EWU (calling that bounce pass a completion still boggles my mind.) That made the Bison very angry. Not angry enough to, you know, run to the weight rooms and furiously pump things, but angry enough to win five straight national championships. However, the worst day was when Big Sky said, "No thanks, we're good," when they had a chance to get NDSU and SDSU. In the end, that resulted in NDSU getting into a marginally better football conference and a tremendously better basketball conference. But in the time between the Big Sky fumbling and the MVFC/Summit recovering, the pain was very real - made worse by all the DI naysayers and NDSU critics crowing non-stop.
    Couldn't agree more. Yesterday pales in comparison to much worse days. NDSU will survive.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    5.) 3-0 loss against Missery State
    4.) 2007 loss against SDSU with chance to end a non playoff eligible season undefeated, conference champs and ranked #1 in the FCS.
    3.) Finding out Carson was supposedly done with his career as a Bison
    2.) The streak ending against JMU

And number one......

1.) Finding out today NDSU will have to play those asshats to the North every season.
    I had a hard time coming up with 5 football related days.

5. 10/8/05
    4. 11/17/07
    3. 12/11/10
    2. 12/8/13
    1. 02/18/09
    Last edited by BisonAccountant44; 02-03-2017 at 08:56 PM.
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

Mr Pep Band is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Personally, in no particular order-

Scott Miller dies- More so sad, not so much bad or worst

12-11-10 EWU loss- #1 without a doubt

2011 loss at home, against YSU- got sick after the game, it sucked

2009 SDSU loss- rude a$$h@t fans

....JMU 2016 loss?- broke up the playoff run and 6-pack

I can't really come up with five days that I hated, except for the EWU loss and the 2011 YSU game I got sick after.

1. Quarterfinal loss to EWU
    2. Finding out Wentz's career with NDSU might be done due to injury.
    3. Losing to the Jacks in Brookings in 2007 to spoil the perfect season and #1 ranking.
    4. Losing the legend Scottie Miller
    5. JMU loss to spoil the 6-pack
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

If I'm going to be completely honest with myself, I'd have to say that the worst day for me was finding out that Bohl was leaving.

It was not so much that Bohl himself was leaving, per se........................I had already expected that to happen sometime.......................but more about when it became known and how it became known. I really felt that the way it went down had great potential to derail the coveted 3rd straight title that would have matched the almost mythical mark of Appalachian State, and indeed, would have accomplished something that NDSU itself had never been able to do in it's storied football history.

I remember distinctly, as a long time fan that had waited another 25+ years for another chance for the program to get it, wanting that 3rd straight title SO MUCH.

Well...............we all know what happened, of course. The Herd, thanks to a wonderful group of extremely focused and mature seniors, goes on to get that 3rd straight title, and then, thanks to a wonderful job of transition management by Coach Klieman, the Herd goes on to a record-setting 4th and 5th straight national football titles after that.

What? Nobody listed "ESPN College GameDay came and they went downtown instead of to the FargoDome!"

Pretty sure that there was huge uproar when the prices for tailgate spots when up from $3 too.

My parents graduated from NDSU in the 50s. Im the 5th of 5 to graduate from NDSU. My daughter is attending this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    What? Nobody listed "ESPN College GameDay came and they went downtown instead of to the FargoDome!"

Pretty sure that there was huge uproar when the prices for tailgate spots when up from $3 too.
    Was that when they went to reserved spaces?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."