Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: UND to join Summit/MVFC

Default Re: UND to join Summit/MVFC

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not upset about UND joining the Summit/MFVC.

I wouldn't have objected to them being completely incompetent for another 15 years, but, hey, don't cry because it's over, laugh because it happened.

I do, however, completely reject the idea that this is great for NDSU. Heck, it's a stretch to claim that it's even marginally good for NDSU. On the flip side, only idiots would argue that this isn't best thing to happen to UND's athletic department in 15 years. If you want to cling to the hope that UND will somehow screw this up, you've got to pray that the same idiots that fought DI and picked the Big Sky will be triumphant once more. Idiocy, I fear, is like any other natural resource in that it's not infinite, and I'm afraid that, in the end, UND just ran out of dickwittery.
    I dont see how they end up being any worse than USD

#notmyconference
    Protest march being scheduled
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    #notmyconference
    can we march from proof to rooters with stops on the way?
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    #notmyconference
    No mustard on my sandwich please. The MVFC inauguration ceremony (performed on Tom Douple's backyard deck) should be awesome as it will show the peaceful transition of power from the MVC schools to the Summit schools.

We should know the Big Sky's opinion on UND when they waive their buyout fee like has been rumored.

You don't waive fees for programs you want to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    This may be the one thing that makes me rethink FBS. Be interesting to see if UN_ could even remotely afford to follow again. Funny how they always aspire to be like NDSU.
    Your Quote "Funny how they always aspire to be like NDSU" is completely , 100% wrong. I do respect how well NDSU Football and Men's BB have done over the last 8+ years, but NDSU went D1 because UND was beating them at almost every sport the previous 10-12 years prior to their move up. UND was already D1 in Hockey, their signature sport, so many already considered UND a D1 school. Su couldn't beat them on the field or on the court so they moved up to get away from UND. Once other schools from D111 started moving up to D11, UND then moved up to D1 as D11 was getting watered down. In hind sight, most people agree UND and USD should have moved up with the SU's. If that had happened then, they all would have been in the same conference. This move only gets them all together again 10 years later. I personally like the Big Sky, but the travel is just too much. This move is 100% because of financial savings and easier/less travel costs. I will also enjoy driving 3-5 hours to some games in the future, where I could not do that in the Big Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by UND-92 View Post
    Your Quote "Funny how they always aspire to be like NDSU" is completely , 100% wrong. I do respect how well NDSU Football and Men's BB have done over the last 8+ years, but NDSU went D1 because UND was beating them at almost every sport the previous 10-12 years prior to their move up. UND was already D1 in Hockey, their signature sport, so many already considered UND a D1 school. Su couldn't beat them on the field or on the court so they moved up to get away from UND. Once other schools from D111 started moving up to D11, UND then moved up to D1 as D11 was getting watered down. In hind sight, most people agree UND and USD should have moved up with the SU's. If that had happened then, they all would have been in the same conference. This move only gets them all together again 10 years later. I personally like the Big Sky, but the travel is just too much. This move is 100% because of financial savings and easier/less travel costs. I will also enjoy driving 3-5 hours to some games in the future, where I could not do that in the Big Sky.
    We went DI because of UND. This guy is either funny or stupid. I'm guessing stupid in a funny sort of way...

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by UND-92 View Post
    I would also note that UND was perceived to be the better school academically. The law, medical and aeronautical schools to name a few. Dr. Chapman with his two prong approach using athletics to increase the academic side with additional programs, money, students, etc.

In turn UND got caught up in the logo debacle which dramatically impacted regional and national perception of school and the Bison brand got hot and passed it by.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonCardinal View Post
    Sure, the MVC has a much better basketball history. But I had to laugh a couple years ago when Wichita State made the Final Four. They said it was the first time a MVC team had made the Final Four since 1979. 1979!!!. I think that is the Larry Bird era. I think he's collecting Social Security now. So the other 4 times are pre-1979, correct me if I am wrong.

Just think the trajectory for the Summit is more upward than the MVC right now. The Summit will now be a conference that's controlled by the Dakota's and will be able to be choosier about new members from now on. I think by adding UND, they are setting up the MVFC for two divisions with Wichita State starting football in the next couple years.

MVFC - West
    NDSU
    SDSU
    UND
    USD
    Wichita State
    UNI

MVFC - East
    Illinois State
    Indiana State
    SIU
    WIU
    MSU
    YSU

My personal opinion is that Elgin (MVC commissioner) should have raided the Summit of all its football members and made an all-sports MVC, but I think that ship has sailed.
    That would be a great all-sports conference. The east is stronger in basketball now but the west would catch up eventually. The west is stronger in football but the east could catch up.

UND was already trying to be an anti-Big Sky, and more like a Valley team by focusing on running the ball and defense. It will be interesting to see if and when they will get that to Valley standards. What will be interesting is now UND's recruiting footprint will change. Sure, they recruit locally; but having to battle USD, SDSU, and big brother NDSU for local recruits won't be easy. But hey, a recruiting trip to an assistant coach's garage to show them the Nickel will be a huge recruiting advantage...
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN