Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Testify!

Default Re: Testify!

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    How did the Bison nickname come about, you ask? Here's the March 3, 1922 @NDSUSpectrum report on the NDAC lettermen's club replacing Aggies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man we give The Forum flack for misspellings and such. Bissons?? Also stated Bisons in the article and another place stated Bison. No word on the official pronounciation though of BiZon!

Your school made a good decision back then. I'v read articles in the past, that went something like, that your use of Bissons was one of the reasons that forced the use of flickertails to be retired. There became a UND movement for a more vibrant mascot to keep up with the Bissons. So to your credit, we followed you way back then in name changes. Just to keep an even keel, you followed us in decisions also.
    Little did the UND people of that movement know that Sioux was going to be a political nightmare.
    Looking forward to Summit & MVFC[SIGPIC]

DakotaOkie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by barnwintersportsengelstad View Post
    Your school made a good decision back then. I'v read articles in the past, that went something like, that your use of Bissons was one of the reasons that forced the use of flickertails to be retired. There became a UND movement for a more vibrant mascot to keep up with the Bissons. So to your credit, we followed you way back then in name changes. Just to keep an even keel, you followed us in decisions also.
    Little did the UND people of that movement know that Sioux was going to be a political nightmare.
    it always seemed to me there was some sort of food chain upmanship going on in the Dakota universities relative to sport team nicknames. Jackrabbits --> coyotes--> Bison --> Sioux. I have no idea about the timing of all of these name adoptions but it still seems curious. The Bison / Flickertail thing (gophers anyone?) seems to corroborate the theory.

Also notice the NDAC mascot was "Fighting Aggies" while that other school didn't add Fighting to their mascot until the 1990s.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Also notice the NDAC mascot was "Fighting Aggies" while that other school didn't add Fighting to their mascot until the 1990s.
    I heard of the fighting aggies before, maybe we followed you again when we added fighting to Sioux. I wish we wouldn't have added fighting to Hawks.
    Looking forward to Summit & MVFC[SIGPIC]

You Betcha!!!! Thanks Tony! A fun read....

"This week will undoubtedly prove conclusively to UND how big a flickertail looks under the foot of a Bison."
    HA!! That is great. I guess the same could be said about a Hawk.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN