Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Oral Roberts Wed 1/25 @ The Shac

Default Re: Oral Roberts Wed 1/25 @ The Shac

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    I think Deng is actually a more well rounded prospect at this point in his career than Tray was. Tray was a high flyer no doubt and a shot blocking machine but Deng is a much better shooter and can get to the rim better than Tray could in his younger years. It wasn't until Tray was a senior that I wouldn't cringe when he went to shoot a 3.
    I htink Deng could be twice the basketball player Tray was. He was explosive as hell, but never really was a dominant player.

It's been a pretty special 10 years for basketball fans. Along with the transition to D1, we have seen conference tournament wins and March appearances, a March win, the best team ever at NDSU in 2014, and probably the most special player ever at NDSU in Woody.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    I htink Deng could be twice the basketball player Tray was. He was explosive as hell, but never really was a dominant player.

It's been a pretty special 10 years for basketball fans. Along with the transition to D1, we have seen conference tournament wins and March appearances, a March win, the best team ever at NDSU in 2014, and probably the most special player ever at NDSU in Woody.
    As Always it is Great to be a Bison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Deng will be a better driver

Deng is a really a pretty decent player right now. I'm in no position to question why he isn't playing more because NDSU is winning and playing good basketball and there are other really good players, but I don't understand why he doesn't get more minutes. He can shoot the 3, he's aggressive with the ball, he's long and plays good defense, he can rebound, he can play inside as well. The biggest thing with Deng is that kid works his ass off out on the court. Great hustle player for a skillset who doesn't really need hustle. The kid just has a motor that keeps going. I don't get why he doesn't play more other than NDSU doesn't need him too. But IMHO with his skillset that isn't a good reason.

Deng is a really a pretty decent player right now. I'm in no position to question why he isn't playing more because NDSU is winning and playing good basketball and there are other really good players, but I don't understand why he doesn't get more minutes. He can shoot the 3, he's aggressive with the ball, he's long and plays good defense, he can rebound, he can play inside as well. The biggest thing with Deng is that kid works his ass off out on the court. Great hustle player for a skillset who doesn't really need hustle. The kid just has a motor that keeps going. I don't get why he doesn't play more other than NDSU doesn't need him too. But IMHO with his skillset that isn't a good reason.
    I think it's the D it's good but not great. He was leaving his feet to much on fakes earlier. That seems to be better but he still needs to not give up ground and when does how to do it without opening himself up to a foul

This is not meant as a criticism of anyone. I was and have been a huge proponent of Deng. He was a huge get for NDSU (he was SD's POY and we got him). That said, he's still raw. I agree that his skill set, taken individually is ahead of Trey at this point, but he still needs to put those skills together and have the game slow down for him. I will remind everyone he's only played organized basketball for 4-5 years...learning concepts and spacing and nuances takes time and game is moving pretty fast for him right now. By the time he is a JR or SR, his ceiling is as high as anyone. You said it...he works his butt off and wants to be better. Another factor to consider in his development...at Washington HS, where he learned how to play, he played the 5 with his back to the basket. Made sense at the time. Now, NDSU has him out in space, utilizing his athleticism, which has added to the learning curve. Point is, we need a little patience (and we've got the luxury of having others that can pay) and it will pay off big time, in my opinion.

Deng will continue to improve his craft. Same as many other young player will. True freshman or sophomores that contribute are not the norm.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    I think it's the D it's good but not great. He was leaving his feet to much on fakes earlier. That seems to be better but he still needs to not give up ground and when does how to do it without opening himself up to a foul
    It's definitely his defense, his on the ball defense is pretty solid but he gets lost in space a lot and guys get open on back cuts and off of screens a little too easy. He works hard and with more practice he'll definitely get it, it's a lot to learn to go from not playing basketball to playing at D1 ball in 6 years against kids that have been playing for 12+. He'll get there, I'm not even worried about it, way too talented not too. Between him, big Jordan coming in next year and Tyson who's already looking like a star our team is in good hands and if they develop the way we hope could be the best team we've had yet.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Deng will be a better player overall but Trayvon's jumping ability still haunts me to this day, that dude was a monster when he left his feet...and if you can't see the difference between his vertical vs anybody else in Bison basketball history, well then, you need to make an eye appointment my friend..

Anyway, I agree with whoever said Taylor Braun was the most rounded or complete player...and believe or not, I agree with Silk about the current team.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post
    Deng will be a better player overall but Trayvon's jumping ability still haunts me to this day, that dude was a monster when he left his feet...and if you can't see the difference between his vertical vs anybody else in Bison basketball history, well then, you need to make an eye appointment my friend..

Anyway, I agree with whoever said Taylor Braun was the most rounded or complete player...and believe or not, I agree with Silk about the current team.
    One of the best still shots of Bison Basketball ever!!