Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Oral Roberts Wed 1/25 @ The Shac

Default Re: Oral Roberts Wed 1/25 @ The Shac

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    Just rewatched 2014 vs Oklahoma. Wow did we have an all star roster. How did we get those guys to the BSA, great roster!

Braun, LA, Trayvon, Brown, Bjorklund
    Aaberg, Kading, Felt, DuPree, Dex, AJ

Holy crap, there's no better all time team at NDSU. 2009 was good, but they didnt have this ability.
    Meh give me Woody and Wink. That team had multiple wins over top 25 teams and pushed the defending national champions to the brink. Had they gotten a 12 seed, they would have gone to the sweet 16 IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    Meh give me Woody and Wink. That team had multiple wins over top 25 teams and pushed the defending national champions to the brink. Had they gotten a 12 seed, they would have gone to the sweet 16 IMO.
    Andre Smith was a pretty big part of those top 25 wins, shame he never got a shot at the big dance.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Some greats, but didn't come close to the athleticism of the 2014 team. I'd take 2014 head to head, Bjorklund would the big difference, and Braun would be a tough matchup.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think Deng is actually a more well rounded prospect at this point in his career than Tray was. Tray was a high flyer no doubt and a shot blocking machine but Deng is a much better shooter and can get to the rim better than Tray could in his younger years. It wasn't until Tray was a senior that I wouldn't cringe when he went to shoot a 3.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Braun had the most complete game I've seen amongst NDSU players. Not very often you see a 6'7" guy that plays big but can handle the ball like a PG. I loved watching him play. Woodside and LA were both clutch studs at PG

Lack of athleticism on that team that a lot of fans don't recognize. Understandable as that 2009 squad has been (rightfully) romanticized. Absolutely no reason, though, to believe they had any better chance of winning two tournament games than the '13-14 squad. Andre Smith was a big missing cog on that team. Tveidt, Winks and Moorman not much for defense or rim protection.
    Last edited by Herd12; 01-31-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    Now this is the law of the prairie
    As old and as true as the sky
    And the Bison that keep it will prosper
    And the Bison that break it will die
    As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk
    This law is the final word:
    For the strength of the Herd is the Bison
    And the strength of the Bison is the Herd.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd12 View Post
    Lack of athleticism on that team that a lot of fans don't recognize. Understandable as that 2009 squad has been (rightfully) romanticized. Absolutely no reason, though, to believe they had any better chance of winning two tournament games than the '13-14 squad. Andre Smith was a big missing cog on that team. Tveidt, Winks and Moorman not much for defense or rim protection.
    True, but they had a scorer's mentality and a killer instinct that the '13-'14 squad lacked. If Woody wanted to put up 35, he could any night against anyone. The same could not be said for Braun. I know this has been discussed but my ultimate All-Bison team would be Woody, LA, Brown, P. Miller and Bjorkland with Winks, Braun, Trey, and Dex coming off the bench. Woody, LA and at times P. Miller have the ability and mentality to take over a game from anywhere on the court. Brown could defend anyone and his senior year he was outstanding creating offense.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Woody's teams played an ungodly easy transition schedule, it was really hard to get a good idea on how good those teams were. They probably hold 2 of the program's most prestigious wins, and after that really didn't have another win against a top 100 team their entire career.

Those games against Minnesota, you could see they couldn't work well against athletes. Brett Winkleman was arguably one of the better mid major players at the time, and would get absoutely destroyed by bigger more athletic players.

I really liked the team that beat Oklahoma. That team could play with a lot of higher athletic teams.

This team I think can be really good but I don't have any confidence in them going against better athletes. They have the sense to me as an NCAA tournament team that is going to get destroyed in the first round regardless of their opponent/seed.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Andre Smith was a pretty big part of those top 25 wins, shame he never got a shot at the big dance.
    Team with Andre Smith was a lot better than that team that lost to Kansas. BTW, that was arguably Kansas's worst team in the bill Self era.